Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2012, 12:28 AM   #16
ABritOnMaui
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Just reread my earlier post, apologies if it appeared defensive!

Heres a quick linky to a good writeup on CVT tuning (says it a lot better than I can :) ). Most stock setups don't ride the belt all the way up, it does depend on your engine (torque / hp) and how you are riding. Focusing solely on changing the top speed, its just pushing the belt higher for a given rpm and hopefully by the time you hit redline the belts riding higher than before the switch. Link below explains more, including how the pulleys affect this as well.

http://scootdawg.proboards.com/index...y&thread=38910

Quote:
Originally Posted by crampfan View Post
We have the same trouble here. What I don't understand is If it's called tourist season, why can't I shoot them
ABritOnMaui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 10:50 AM   #17
mrnoitall
Banned

Oddometer: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by elite1 View Post
I am in love with the Morphous! I have never even seen one of those before. Unfortunately 3 bills is a little out of my price range right now. Need to be around .
I owned a Morphous, and my brother bought one after riding mine a few times. We both got incredible deals.. They are not popular so the market for them is tiny... The ysell for cheap.. Mine had 250 miles on it and I paid $1700.. plus $200 to have it delivered. My brother's had the exact same millage he paid $1900 and we drove an hour to pick it up. I rode it home. Both bikes were like new. He sold his a week later but only because someone offered him $2900 cash... He liked the scooter but liked the idea of making $1000 more.

I sold mine after about 2 years and 6000 miles. In some respects it is the best two wheeled vehicle I've owned. Extremely stable and rock solid. Rides like it's on train tracks. Smoothest vehicle I've ever owned. Once it's up to speed it's a dream on the highway as long as you don't want to cruise at more than 60-65mph.

No machine is perfect, It's a big machine with a small engine which results in very slow acceleration. It's a blast to ride but it's not fast in any way shape of form. It is also a poor choice if you live in a mountainous areas, like I do. It is a slow accelerating scooter to begin with and gets even slower climbing steep hills. It is also not a great choice for two up. I would have no trouble taking my 100lb son on rides but the thing barely moved when I took my 200lb brother on the back.
Also the ergonomics are a little odd.. I'm only 5'9" and I felt a bit scrunched up on it...... Over all It was very fun and enjoyable and I would get another in a heart beat.
mrnoitall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 12:51 PM   #18
rv-rick
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 203
I seem to remember reading somewhere, probably the Burgman site, that they made some changes in the transmission or final drive in the middle of the '07 model year. (Adding to the number of something?)
Old 03-31-2012, 01:11 PM   #19
mrnoitall
Banned

Oddometer: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by rv-rick View Post
I seem to remember reading somewhere, probably the Burgman site, that they made some changes in the transmission or final drive in the middle of the '07 model year. (Adding to the number of something?)
I believe they made changes in the clutch... There were some complaints of excessive vibration during acceleration . At least that's my recollection. I also recall the pre 2007 modes required valve inspection/adjustment interval every 4000 miles ( I wont' swear by that number) while the post 2007 is 14,500 miles but the latter being more involved because of the bucket and shim style valve adjustment as opposed to the screw type
mrnoitall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 06:34 PM   #20
elite1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
I have decided o let the Burgman go. As much as I liked, it was going for more than I wanted to spend. I will keep it on my short list as a possibility someday.
10 Triumph Thruxton - ton up bitch ; 86 Elite 150 Deluxe - pimpin' 80's icon ; 78 Puch Newport - still in the family. Still can't outrun Fido. ; 07 Elite 80 - bulletproof but boring - sold ; 82 Honda Ft500 Ascot - The lil' donkey's bed - gone but not forgotten.
elite1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 11:01 PM   #21
btcn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,880
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABritOnMaui View Post
Just reread my earlier post, apologies if it appeared defensive!

Heres a quick linky to a good writeup on CVT tuning (says it a lot better than I can :) ). Most stock setups don't ride the belt all the way up, it does depend on your engine (torque / hp) and how you are riding. Focusing solely on changing the top speed, its just pushing the belt higher for a given rpm and hopefully by the time you hit redline the belts riding higher than before the switch. Link below explains more, including how the pulleys affect this as well.

http://scootdawg.proboards.com/index...y&thread=38910

No, its cool!

I understand now! I just wasn't aware it don't let the belt ride all the way to the very top of the tranny stock. I understand, it just won't do it in the conditions and such.

Ok, makes sense now!
Old 04-02-2012, 01:44 AM   #22
Tacoma
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
its considered normal for the clutch to make a lot of noise on the Burgman, if you take it to the dealer he will say thats normal
ha ha ha, thinking of the past,, I wanted to buy a 650 Burgman sooooo much back in 2010 and the only Suzuki dealer that had them in stock made it too tough to buy one, he wanted $400 over MSRP price cause of the limited supply and strong demand, so he stuck his nose up at me when I offered a lower price saying "why should i sell it to you at a discount when the next guy that walks in will give me full price"?
I walked out pissed off, never to set foot into that place again, then I walked into the Yamaha dealer, he gave me a low speed test ride on the Tmax in the parking lot, I admit the Tmax didn't excite me then, so I made a stab in the dark buying the Tmax thinking later if I didn't like it I can sell it or trade it in again, but I got him down on price cause it was a last years new model for $4995,,,, but the first time I got the speed up I slowly fell in love with the Tmax,,, the more I ride it the more in love I was with it, I did ride the Burgman many times and the Tmax is better in every way.
Tacoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 10:33 AM   #23
ABritOnMaui
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma View Post
its considered normal for the clutch to make a lot of noise on the Burgman, if you take it to the dealer he will say thats normal
ha ha ha, thinking of the past,, I wanted to buy a 650 Burgman sooooo much back in 2010 and the only Suzuki dealer that had them in stock made it too tough to buy one, he wanted $400 over MSRP price cause of the limited supply and strong demand, so he stuck his nose up at me when I offered a lower price saying "why should i sell it to you at a discount when the next guy that walks in will give me full price"?
I walked out pissed off, never to set foot into that place again, then I walked into the Yamaha dealer, he gave me a low speed test ride on the Tmax in the parking lot, I admit the Tmax didn't excite me then, so I made a stab in the dark buying the Tmax thinking later if I didn't like it I can sell it or trade it in again, but I got him down on price cause it was a last years new model for $4995,,,, but the first time I got the speed up I slowly fell in love with the Tmax,,, the more I ride it the more in love I was with it, I did ride the Burgman many times and the Tmax is better in every way.
Funny you mention that :) I had exactly the same experience with the local kwaka dealer (also the HD dealer, I guess he is used to treating his customers as cash filled piñatas). They wanted 6300 OTD for a 4200 msrp ninja 250. I got the burgman OTD under msrp without bargaining and their staff we just nicer. Funny how different an experience you can get from dealers!

Re the clutch, this certainly was a big issue with earlier models, not so much later ones. Suzuki said it was the clutch design which caused it which they claim was remedied in the 07 revamp, their owners say it was at least partially due to the break-in procedure glazing the clutch. Mine has squealed as yet, fingers crossed. All the maxiscoots are damn fine bikes, they do all differ slightly and you can buy the wrong one for you, but they're all decent buys. They all also have issues which occur commonly enough to be noticed, not to say every bike will have them. The burger has the clutch issue, the swing has head bearing notching, the majesty has bodywork (or was it cvt cover?) rattle etc. I'd happily own any of them, the burger just happened to be a decent deal.

Sym are bringing in a new maxiscoot soon and I believe their new importers are a significant improvement on their old ones, plus they should undercut the jap scoots and kymco. Kymco also make some good maxiscoots which could be worth a look but are priced a little too near the Jap scoots for my liking. The xciting is a decent bike but lacks substantial storage compared to burgers, swings etc so by the time you hadd in a givi box etc you may as well buy the jap bike and be able to add even more storage if you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crampfan View Post
We have the same trouble here. What I don't understand is If it's called tourist season, why can't I shoot them
ABritOnMaui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 11:09 AM   #24
Qaz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
Not to sound like a know it all, but! Here is my take on this and hopefully some insight in to several of the problems that have been stated about the 400 Burgman. It is the best all around scooter presently made, it doesn't tour as well as the 650, but it is better than the rest if only because of better wind protection. It is not as sporty as the SW or T-max but handles as well or better than the rest. The 650 is more comfortable but only if you are 5'10 or larger. The 400 has more range to a tank of gas by virtue of its 70mpg sip, and yes it will still return 68-70mpg with the speedo sitting on 70mph for 3 hours straight of interstate travel (did it last weekend and many times before). The 650 Burgman, the SW and the T-max each do some things better than the 400 Burman, but when it comes to day in, day out living with it and all around usefulness, none can match the 400 Burg. All of my friends that were riding the 650 Burg, SW, and T-max's have traded them for the 400 Burg.

I have done 700 mile days on mine, and yes it doe use a little oil, but that is only on the interstate and cruising at 65+ mph for hours on end. At lesser speeds it does not blow out the crankcase vent. You just need to keep an eye on it. After all, you are turning over 6,000rpm's on a bike with a redline of 8,500. No, rattleing and squealing should not be expected from the clutch, but all scooters do make some noise from the rearend. The squealing is usually a sign the clutch bell is glazing and an easy fix for that is some emery cloth to scuff it up a bit. The variators are tunable but it is not easy to get right. Unless you have a thourgh understanding of gear ratio's it is doubtful that you will do better than the factory for overall performance. I have seen many bike shops mess them up in the last 15 years and only a few get it right. The fuel injected 400's run much better than the carb models. The changes that happened in 2007 made it a nicer bike to ride but I don't think it is a better bike, the most noticeable change is in the mid and top end power, they feel less winded and of course the valve adjustment interval. I normally go twice what is recommend on my 2005 and have had no problems in 35,000 miles.

This is just my 2 cents for what it is worth!
Qaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 05:35 AM   #25
gkgeiger
Every ride is an ADV

Oddometer: 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qaz View Post
Not to sound like a know it all, but! Here is my take on this and hopefully some insight in to several of the problems that have been stated about the 400 Burgman. It is the best all around scooter presently made, it doesn't tour as well as the 650, but it is better than the rest if only because of better wind protection. It is not as sporty as the SW or T-max but handles as well or better than the rest. The 650 is more comfortable but only if you are 5'10 or larger. The 400 has more range to a tank of gas by virtue of its 70mpg sip, and yes it will still return 68-70mpg with the speedo sitting on 70mph for 3 hours straight of interstate travel (did it last weekend and many times before). The 650 Burgman, the SW and the T-max each do some things better than the 400 Burman, but when it comes to day in, day out living with it and all around usefulness, none can match the 400 Burg. All of my friends that were riding the 650 Burg, SW, and T-max's have traded them for the 400 Burg.

I have done 700 mile days on mine, and yes it doe use a little oil, but that is only on the interstate and cruising at 65+ mph for hours on end. At lesser speeds it does not blow out the crankcase vent. You just need to keep an eye on it. After all, you are turning over 6,000rpm's on a bike with a redline of 8,500. No, rattleing and squealing should not be expected from the clutch, but all scooters do make some noise from the rearend. The squealing is usually a sign the clutch bell is glazing and an easy fix for that is some emery cloth to scuff it up a bit. The variators are tunable but it is not easy to get right. Unless you have a thourgh understanding of gear ratio's it is doubtful that you will do better than the factory for overall performance. I have seen many bike shops mess them up in the last 15 years and only a few get it right. The fuel injected 400's run much better than the carb models. The changes that happened in 2007 made it a nicer bike to ride but I don't think it is a better bike, the most noticeable change is in the mid and top end power, they feel less winded and of course the valve adjustment interval. I normally go twice what is recommend on my 2005 and have had no problems in 35,000 miles.

This is just my 2 cents for what it is worth!
Sounds like good info to me. I'm glad I bought my 400.
'12 NC700X/D
gkgeiger is offline   Reply With Quote