Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2012, 01:58 AM   #2596
C-Stain
Banned

Oddometer: 5,001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug0048 View Post
Oh C-stain did you really need to post that picture? I like Mark but that's a lot more of him than I want to see. Some things should be kept a mystery.

I like this picture much better
If I had to see it. So did everyone else. I've been scrubbing my eyes with Javex and Steel Wool, but it hasn't worked.
C-Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 04:11 AM   #2597
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Oddometer: 4,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by miguelitro View Post
did i see you in quito today heading north, perhaps a fellow on a ktm with ya??? didnt get a great look as our cab driver was, well a cab driver.
Mike
Hola Mike. I am still in Quito.... But my bike is stored away. Get on a plane later tonight heading for home.....

Whatcha doing in Quito?

Ride of my Lifetime...... Thread started 5/11/2011 http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post15950430
Radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 07:06 AM   #2598
bg
Puppies. Rainbows.

Oddometer: 7,909
Fantastic Galapagos pics, Radioman! Looks like an incredible trip. What's next??
bg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 08:13 AM   #2599
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg View Post
Fantastic Galapagos pics, Radioman! Looks like an incredible trip. What's next??
Still sorting through a few thousand Galapagos Pictures and will narrow that down and post up soon. Forgot to put the Penguin photos.... have some underwater photos of that. They are very fast underwater.... Wizzing by at top speed as really cool.

Will be flying home later tonight to Portland.... Will then get Visa's for India and Brazil.... Off to India to Ride for a couple months. Then back to Ecuador in August to continue riding south. Wow. Amazing Ride of a lifetime :)

Ride of my Lifetime...... Thread started 5/11/2011 http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post15950430
Old 03-31-2012, 08:48 AM   #2600
bg
Puppies. Rainbows.

Oddometer: 7,909
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioman View Post

Will be flying home later tonight to Portland.... Will then get Visa's for India and Brazil.... Off to India to Ride for a couple months. Then back to Ecuador in August to continue riding south. Wow. Amazing Ride of a lifetime :)
Nice. As usual, thanks for sharing your Ride.

Looking forward to the penguin pix.
bg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 11:28 AM   #2601
Motomuffin
CSMC

Oddometer: 539
Really looking forward to seeing you at the alley sweeper!

safe travels!
Old 03-31-2012, 12:54 PM   #2602
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motomuffin View Post
Really looking forward to seeing you at the alley sweeper!

safe travels!

Old 03-31-2012, 02:44 PM   #2603
Radioman OP
Moto rider

GALAPAGOS Part 1

This side trip to the Galapagos islands was really an amazing trip. I knew that I would travel here before I left Oregon and it was on my To Do list. It met all my expectations as a place to see this unique place. When I started researching this side adventure it was a bit overwhelming because it was so hard to know what was the "best" way to see this place. It was a "trip of a lifetime" and I wanted to make the most of it. Reading about it convinced me that I wanted to be on a "better" boat, which meant a Class 3 Naturalist (they are rated 1-3 based on knowledge and experience), and I wanted to Swim with Sea Turtles

On all these types of Tourist trips you know you will pay for it. But I knew it would be worth it to me. I found a Last Minute Galapagos web site and started emailing with them about boats, quality and options. When I arrived in Quito I met with them face to face. That helped me decided that they were Ok to book with. Some other bikers had booked a last minute trip and arrived back the day after we arrived Quito so I go first had recommendation about the Odyssey. Worked out the "last minute deal" that saved $ . We paid $1,400 each for the Odyssey for 5 night and 6 days. It was worth it!! Then I had to book a flight from Quito to Baltra on Santa Cruz island.

I booked with these guys, but there are many options especially for last minute travel. My only advice to to "splurge" and get on a First Class ship. It is the trip of a lifetime!

This is where the story gets a bit interesting. The travel agent was quoting flights for around $500 USD. I went online and found a fare for $293. Booked it with LAN airlines. Was excited that I got a great deal and saved some money!! More on this later....

We flew to Baltra, and Stayed in Puerto Ayora. They met us in town the next morning and took us to the boat on a zodiac in time for lunch. We were the first of the 16 passengers to arrive. So we enjoyed sitting on the top deck getting some sun!

The inside of the boat was all wood, and the tables were all set! After almost 9 months motorcycling through the US, Mexico, Central America, and Columbia, this was certainly "first class".

Fully stocked bar and Michael Anglo as our Bar tender and server!

3 levels to explore including a hot tub on the top deck!

The rest of the passengers arrived after flying in, and we had a bit of time to get to know them. 2 couples from Aruba, 2 Swedish men (father and Son), a Newly wed Couple from the UK, and 6 Americans including us!

We were all ready to explore the Galapagos Islands.

The "cruise" was busy from the moment that we set foot aboard the ship. Briefing and Safety, Outings starting at 6 Am and then a variety of other activities including 3 full meals a day, and snacks every time you rebounded the ship after a hike, snorkeling, Kayaking etc.

We started at the Charles Darwin Research center where we say land turtles and other information about the Galapagos, Volcanos and Wildlife that we are about to explore!

One of the first hikes we did was a couple hours on Isabela Island, were we walked on the old Lava fields and out Naturalist Jamie pointed out Marine Iguanas, All kinds or birds, and Fauna.

The Lava was interesting depending on where you were, how the Hot lava flowed down into the sea.

Of course as tourists we all took lots of photos and enjoyed the exploring. It was very hot and humid this time of year!

We arrived back at the boat just before Sunset, and had a short time to relax before dinner!

The days have sort of blended together but we say so much wildlife like the sea Lions

Birds

Marine Iguana on the beach

and on all the rocks. Many times we had to step over them

Lava Lizards

Cactus.

and Penguins

With a bit of time to catch some sun on the upper deck. But the Sun was really hot because we were near the Equator!

More later......

Radioman screwed with this post 03-31-2012 at 04:27 PM
Old 03-31-2012, 02:48 PM   #2604
miguelitro
tierra de boobies

Oddometer: 775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioman View Post
Hola Mike. I am still in Quito.... But my bike is stored away. Get on a plane later tonight heading for home.....

Whatcha doing in Quito?
oh yeah that's right. no wonder they looked pissed when I gave them the salute!

I'm getting my visa extension on monday if the aztec god of bureaucracy wants it to be so. Raquel should be getting her cedula and passport which mean a bike for me! Might rent a bike from freedom and ride up to papallacta hot springs for a day, visiting some family, and eating at all the great restaurants here.
See ya in Aug. maybe.
Mike
I'd rather be riding a 200 in Ecuador than any dream bike here.
miguelitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 04:39 PM   #2605
Jarrod Weaver
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
It's not Galapagos but is the only good tortoise pic I have.
Jarrod Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 04:43 PM   #2606
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Galapagos Islands Part II

The Odyssey made many stops as we changed locations and cruised to see new things around the islands.

This is roughly our trip with many stops that took us on the islands, Climbed to the ridge of the Sierra Negra Volcano (which was huge!), and lots of snorkeling!

I took so many photos as it was such a full trip! These guys lounging around on San Cristobal Island.

The Naturalist Guide and the Crew welcoming us to the ship!

The food was good, lots of variety from Steak to Seafood, and salads.... Three meals a day (which I have not been eating since I left only Adventure!)

We left the boat early on the Zodiacs to explore on land, in Kayaks, Snorkeling.....

Yes I had a great trip!!

We had amazing sunrises.....

And with only 16 passengers we got the chance to enjoy meeting others on our ship. We bonded as we went on our expeditions and laughed at the things that did not go as planned.....

Like our trip up Sierra Negra. It was hot 90 and humid and we landed in a town and disembarked. We all loaded onto the open air Bus for the 45 minute ride up to the base of the Volcano to take a 45+ minute hike up to the crater rim.

The bus had stopped to show us a rare Galapagos bird, and then he could not get it started..... We started walking up the road and our guide told us it was only "5 minutes" more. It took about an hour walking up hill in the heat to get to the start of the trail...... Everyone had a good laugh (well almost everyone :) We about half made the trip up to the top.... It was worth it ! The crater was about 2 miles across and the steam had been increasing over the past months .....

Once we had hiked to the top the bus owner had repaired the Bus, and when we got back into town before loading onto the Zodiacs.... He offered everyone a nice Cold beer. It was great!! Like most parts of a trip that do not go as planned there are great stories!!

Back to the boat and dinner is served!

I am not telling the tour in order of event but just as it comes to mind as I type up this post. We did so much and I left my computer in Quito so I did not write each day.... Still have great memories.

Radioman screwed with this post 03-31-2012 at 04:58 PM
Old 03-31-2012, 05:17 PM   #2607
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Galapagos Islands Part 3

Well, I just have too many pictures not to share a bit more of the Galapagos Islands.

This wil be a random Post of some of the great things we saw and did while visiting the Galapagos..... I grew up around the water and love it. I really had looked forward to seeing and swimming with the Large Sea turtles. The first time we snorkeled I got to swim with a large sea turtle for a long distances, just enjoying the graceful movements that propelled them along. They are actually very fast, but I was able to follow along for a great distance. It was really very amazing.

My friend Diana was interested in the sea Lions and she had a way with them. She had some great interactions!

Including a few "kisses" from this Sea Lion

The sea Lions were amazingly playful while we were in the water. Swimming all around you!

The marine Iguanas were fun to look at and Photograph. There are tons of them....

The males have big "crowns" and the texture of their skins were interesting as well.

The Lava lizards like to sit on their backs and eat the flies that surrounded the Iguanas.

Just a few more....

The colorful crabs were interesting as well. No No Craig not that kind.

And we were in the water for the full time that we had to snorkel!!

The Penguins would just sail by you really fast. I was so glad to be able to capture this Penguin as it "cruised" by.

Tourists all watching some wildlife.......

so much more to share..... But cannot narrow done the experience..... Hope you enjoyed these photos!

Radioman screwed with this post 03-31-2012 at 05:28 PM
Old 03-31-2012, 05:47 PM   #2608
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Young James ..... Parting ways today!

Young James left this morning to ride back up to Medellin, Columbia.

We had a great time riding together, but our plans have changed. I wish him the best as he continues his travels around the world!!

Of course I had to put a sticker on his bike

And we had fun at the hat shop before he left Panama Pimp hat looks good on him :loll

He packed up ..... and headed out!!

And I packed up all my gear and will be heading for the airport in just a few minutes. Diana left earlier today!

Old 03-31-2012, 05:48 PM   #2609
Reddog*
^ "Look up"

Oddometer: 2,636
Safe travels home!
Reddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 08:58 PM   #2610
OldPete2112
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
Most excellent update Radioman!

Hope you have a safe flight back home.

Its better to travel well than to arrive.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
OldPete2112 is offline   Reply With Quote