Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2012, 06:57 AM   #16
AntonLargiader
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,196
Remember, it's being auctioned by the guy who won it. So you need to separate his crappy auction from the actual build of the bike.

For the reason it was built, there's nothing terribly wrong with it other than the apparent lack of title. It wasn't really built as a race bike; it's a show bike. If you're building a bike on spec with no intention of racing it yourself, IMO you either need to really build something that is proven good for a narrow purpose (not possible in this case) or you need to give the end user some flexibility. But this bike never needed to justify a specific selling price, so it really didn't matter what they did.

I totally don't get the welded-on subframe. Talk about non-repairable. You don't WANT the subframe to be awfully strong.

It's pretty bike. Fancy pistons and a cam. Narrowed engine! Would be cool to see more details on that. Pretty normal ignition system. Street tires, looks like. Stock transmission made from the 'best of' what was lying around. Cosmetics came first.

It was a rushed job, unfortunately. It would be nice to see a dyno run from it.
Old 03-20-2012, 01:26 PM   #17
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,832
I wouldn't do just about any part of the project the way it has been done but that's just me. I wouldn't shorten cylinders. I wouldn't run a duplex timing chain. I wouldn't run an early clutch. And so on.

The comments about the side panels are interesting. They might work as far as stiffening the chassis up is concerned. The subframe? Stiffing up a subframe is for people that want to load down their saddlebags with 400lbs. Stiffening up the frame? Like PJ reported finding out on his race frame. Some of us think the area that really needs to be stiffened is the back part of the backbone twisting. Those side plates might really help that from happening? Many people have reported that welding on the subframe really stiffens up the chassis. It makes perfect sense to me.

supershaft screwed with this post 03-20-2012 at 02:26 PM
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 02:02 PM   #18
Hawk Medicine OP
Coyote's Brother

Oddometer: 3,301
If I had won he bike I'd probably be selling it too. Not because I don't like it but in order to help fund my Grandsons schooling. OTOH, If I kept it, I'd probably want to use the bike as a Track Day toy or maybe add some lights and a starter and run it on the street from time-to-time. I'd love to hear it run!

There are a couple of good reasons for stiffening up a /5 or /6 subframe and both of them have to do with making it more stable and repairing or avoiding future cracking but welding the Subframe on? Uhmm... No. Not me.

To me the great mystery is why the builders started out with a Bimbo frame, when it's so easy to pick up something with a title. Just a couple years ago the cops were checking ALL bikes entering the racetracks for proper paperwork. You don't need plates but you do need to be able to prove that it's yours.

I'd bet that two or three weeks and a few $$$ spent at Boxermetal would fix that bike right up!

Hate rots the pocket that carries it.

Hawk Medicine screwed with this post 03-20-2012 at 02:12 PM
Hawk Medicine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 04:37 PM   #19
Hawk Medicine OP
Coyote's Brother

Oddometer: 3,301
Well, I guess no one wuld even go $8700 on that bike.

I'm kinda surprised at that!

Hate rots the pocket that carries it.
Hawk Medicine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 05:13 PM   #20
Voltaire
Bored Of The Rings

Oddometer: 1,410
Having built up a classic airhead racer recently I have couple of questions?

Whats supposed to be wrong with the rear sub frame?
Why is the single row cam chain better than a duel row?

I fitted a sidecar to a /5 in the early 90's and toured Europe very overloaded.....and I had drum brakes and no sidecar brake.
When my mate ran it off the road some years later and bent the forks the frame was fine. Even had it checked on a proper machine....just saying....

I only glanced at it, but it looked nice. My build was way less.
Reversing the fork legs just to get the brakes in front Ducati style would seem to be a solution looking for a problem....
One day maybe I'll swap my Darmah forks around a see.....not.
Voltaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 03:48 PM   #21
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,832
The subframe's cross brace often cracks. Under normal use, all they need is re-welded and it will last for decades without any extra bracing.

Simplex chains and sprockets are a lot lighter and lighter is almost always better. Plus they have the added benefit of lasting longer.
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 06:04 PM   #22
Renner
infamous wrench

Oddometer: 2,113
relisted
Old 03-22-2012, 06:21 PM   #23
AntonLargiader
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,196
Huh. Highest offer was $7700 and it expired (wasn't declined).

This might be nearly as good as that poor G/S from a year or two ago. Ahh, the good old days.
Old 03-22-2012, 07:00 PM   #24
bmwrench
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,040
Custom builds rarely bring good money, and almost never what's been invested in them. Most people prefer to build their own-or don't want a custom at all.
bmwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 07:23 PM   #25
Boxer Metal
Mad Scientist

Oddometer: 3,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwrench View Post
Custom builds rarely bring good money, and almost never what's been invested in them. Most people prefer to build their own-or don't want a custom at all.
I agree. I have a customer that builds one custom BMW at a time and lists it on eBay and he gets a lot of money for them. I think he is the exception to the rule.
VBMWMO #7770, BMW MOA #48694 & Airhead BMW Club #600
Boxer Metal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 10:47 PM   #26
Tuff Tunica
Moto-Skiveez creator

Oddometer: 630
Mine mine mine

To all...I'm the sorry sap that bought the aforementioned POS bike. I actually am personally acquainted with the builder and the head the Boneville Vintage GP.

There are, of course, a few tweaks that need to be addressed. My hope is to display the bike and take it on a few track days. It may not be the end all and be all of a perfect race bike, but I'm pretty excited to give it a spin around Millermotorsportspark.

I'll update this thread as progress is made. And also try to answer any questions or concerns anyone might have regarding this bike.
Tuff Tunica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 08:42 AM   #27
JLeather
Bike Butcherer

Oddometer: 294
I thought it was a cool bike. Shame about the title, would be really fun on the street.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
JLeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 09:00 AM   #28
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,317
I like it and would love to hear it. I don't think the title thing is a big deal at all. As long as the builder can do an affidavit of build for a custom machine, and do the proper documents, as well the buyer does same, they will be able to title it if wanted. I think it'll be more fun as a track/race bike fitted with the proper components to make it legal in the class the buyer wished to compete in. I also think it is one hell of a conversation piece at BMW Airhead get togethers.
Old 03-31-2012, 09:41 PM   #29
Tuff Tunica
Moto-Skiveez creator

Oddometer: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X View Post
I like it and would love to hear it. I don't think the title thing is a big deal at all. As long as the builder can do an affidavit of build for a custom machine, and do the proper documents, as well the buyer does same, they will be able to title it if wanted. I think it'll be more fun as a track/race bike fitted with the proper components to make it legal in the class the buyer wished to compete in. I also think it is one hell of a conversation piece at BMW Airhead get togethers.
Thanks Sniper . For now it's just sitting on a stand in my garage. The dealer that built it is now out of business. I think things were heading down that road near the end of this build. Alot of little things need to be sorted/adjusted. It's my opinion that because of this towards the end of this bild and especially since it was going to be given away, alot of little things got overlooked. I'll do my best to document on this thread as I move along. I'm up to my armpits with two other projects right now so this is on the back burner.

My intent is to use it as a conversation piece but definitely take it to the track once or twice a year. Always wanted a track bike and now I don't have to feel bad when a new RR1000 blows by me, hey I'm on an old beater.
Tuff Tunica is offline   Reply With Quote