ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-01-2012, 07:14 AM   #61
Steve W
Old Grouch

Oddometer: 625
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustavo.Ramos View Post
How do you get that image? it seems to be a screenshot albeit i can only see it in the gps unit.

cheers,
Garmin xImage
Old 04-01-2012, 10:06 AM   #62
Gustavo.Ramos
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 696
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve W View Post
Garmin xImage

Raid de L'Amitié 2011 RR (link)
690R
Gustavo.Ramos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 10:46 AM   #63
Ditch
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,015
2 gb card

Just put one in my 276c and it seems to work fine. The one stopper is the map segment limit. I don't have but a bit over 1 gig loaded of 24k topo but seem to be hitting the segment limit. A bit pricey given how cheap memory is these days, but I can't seem to give up the old unit. Maybe if they put buttons on the Montana
Ditch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 08:05 PM   #64
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,691
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditch View Post
Maybe if they put buttons on the Montana
No way! I bet there's not one Montana user who'd go back to buttons. Having bigger on-screen buttons which work with gloves on is a big advantage. Try it. You'll like it.
Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 08:18 AM   #65
KevinC
Looking for the hoard

Oddometer: 2,020
I've been happily using my vastly expanded 276C for a few weeks now and I've nothing especially to report! It works as it ever did, I've not noticed any slow down in screen refresh from having all the extra map data to play with and there's been no memory failures.

Now if it could just make it stop bloody raining

"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all." - Oscar Wilde
KevinC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:55 PM   #66
lopaca
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 166
Ordered One for my 478c

I just ordered on a couple of days ago. I am praying there won't be any issues as well. I will report after I get it and set it up.

We use the 478 on our dirt bikes rides - nice big and bright screen.
Old 05-02-2012, 01:53 PM   #67
Honkey Cat
Tailights Fade!

Oddometer: 1,062
maps

So my question is, Just opened up last week my garmin 478, it was new in box in closet. sold my boat and forgot I had it. I installed top 100k and 2012 city nav. If I get the 2gb card will I be able to fit a couple topo 24K maps on it and If I do with the card installed will it be able to switch back and forth on the trail from the unit?

thanks
Honkey Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:48 AM   #68
Ditch
Beastly Adventurer

Touge86

I don't think so. Unlike the newer units that can load multiple maps, the older ones such as the x76 and the like, erase the previous maps when loading a new map. Someone with more expertise (wouldn't take much) might know of a work around.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:58 AM   #69
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by Touge86 View Post
So my question is, Just opened up last week my garmin 478, it was new in box in closet. sold my boat and forgot I had it. I installed top 100k and 2012 city nav. If I get the 2gb card will I be able to fit a couple topo 24K maps on it and If I do with the card installed will it be able to switch back and forth on the trail from the unit?

thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditch View Post
I don't think so. Unlike the newer units that can load multiple maps, the older ones such as the x76 and the like, erase the previous maps when loading a new map. Someone with more expertise (wouldn't take much) might know of a work around.
Actually, you can have several map sets on the 478 at the same time. Internally, the 478 has its own map memory and it looks like this user put City Nav 2012 on that and maybe even some topo on that internal memory? You can also install more topo or other maps on the card. For any maps you install on the card, you just have to do it all at one time. Yes anytime you attempt to install maps on the card, it erases previous maps, but you aren't limited to just 1 map set. And yes, while in the field, you can select/unselect map sets to show on the fly. I have had City Nav, Metro Guide and Roads & Recreation all loaded and could switch between them.

What you might run into is a map segment limit. You can only have so many segments and I'm not sure about topo 24k, but some of the older top and R&R have some really small map segments that add up quick.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5: Y2l43o9LVBERU
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 03:58 PM   #70
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,877
Quote:

thanks
You can load up to slightly less than 2GB of maps (in a single file) to your GPSMAP 478. As for US Topo 24K, the newer version which is routable and purchased by region of the US, they are typically 3 - 4GB in size. So you won't be able to put a whole region on your 2GB card. You could of course use MapInstall to load segments (tiles) from several regions in one file as long as you don't exceed the space available - which MapInstall will tell you.

Whatever maps you install on the unit will show in the Map Info page where you can select them or not.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 06:26 AM   #71
Ditch
Beastly Adventurer

After much head scratching and fumbling around (I'm definitely not gifted with spotting the obvious) I finally figured out how to download multiple maps to my 276. I never thought to switch maps before downloading to unit. Duh on me. Thanks guys for making me think!
Old 05-11-2012, 05:05 PM   #72
Honkey Cat
Tailights Fade!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLghtning View Post
Actually, you can have several map sets on the 478 at the same time. Internally, the 478 has its own map memory and it looks like this user put City Nav 2012 on that and maybe even some topo on that internal memory? You can also install more topo or other maps on the card. For any maps you install on the card, you just have to do it all at one time. Yes anytime you attempt to install maps on the card, it erases previous maps, but you aren't limited to just 1 map set. And yes, while in the field, you can select/unselect map sets to show on the fly. I have had City Nav, Metro Guide and Roads & Recreation all loaded and could switch between them.

What you might run into is a map segment limit. You can only have so many segments and I'm not sure about topo 24k, but some of the older top and R&R have some really small map segments that add up quick.
thanks for the info.
Old 05-11-2012, 05:06 PM   #73
Honkey Cat
Tailights Fade!

well I just might sell my 478 and get the montana 650t. Gonna have to think hard about this one.
Old 05-12-2012, 09:27 PM   #74
eddyturn
Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,628
Quote:
well I just might sell my 478 and get the montana 650t. Gonna have to think hard about this one.
Have you been reading the Montana thread from the get-go? Much more complex but it all depends on how and what you are going to use the unit for. Let us all know how it works out.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:48 AM   #75
rocket_bear
turbo giraffe pilot

Oddometer: 19
Question

anyone heard from our buddy garminych lately? i left him a PM, hoping to buy a 2Gb upgrade, and haven't heard anything. just curious.

rocket_bear

'06 950 Adventure
'04 Sherco 2.9
'99 750 Monster
'05 Thruxton
and misc. others

Observations blog:
http://observations.blackdogandmagpie.net
rocket_bear is offline   Reply With Quote