Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-01-2012, 09:29 PM   #11
DSM8
Where fun goes to die....

Oddometer: 3,603
N00B Ride Report

So this year the planned trips both out and while there got thrown to the four winds once the ride actually got started.

Met up Thursday morning with Luv2Race in Glendora. We headed out and decided to mix things up a bit on the way out so we started our ride with a quick jaunt up

Cleghorn to get around the Cohon Pass, avoiding the 15 stretch through the pass. This got us warmed up and was a good shake down ride for him since this was his first time taking the 990 out fully loaded with gear for the weekend.

Here we had just come out on 138 to take a break.

Originally we were planning to take the escape route on our way into camp but circumstances prevented that from happening so we just continued up the road after getting back to pavement and continued on our way to Camp. We rolled into camp around 3:30 and set about setting up camp.

I was bunking with RobG but he was nowhere to be found (there is a story here) and the RV was locked. Meanwhile I kept hearing this whining sound coming from the tent next to his RV. Turned out Joe was locked in the tent and it was getting hot in there. I let him out and took the poor guy across the street for a drink and to get some shade. The owner what no-where to be found (remember the story I mentioned well it plays into this situation).

Joe

So I just lounged around camp and waited for Rob to return...
and waited...and waited..till about 8:30

It was then determined that Rob was out on a ride with Cowgirl and Macadamia, and Macadamia had not mover for 1.5 hours, at the base of Lippencott on Saline Valley. It was then determined that we had to go investigate so two trucks were deployed.

Bob (lonestar2112), Dave (DSM8), and John (JNYRAV)

It took two hours to get to his location, passing Rob and Cowgirl on the way in they told us he was waiting and so we just kept going. Finally found his and the bike, turned out it was a loose positive batt cable

Bike loaded in the truck (photo thanks to Macadamia)

The drive out was brutal we finally got back to camp after 2:30 by that time I had been up almost 20 hours. This contributed to the breakdown of plans for the ride on

Friday.

Next morning saw the aftermath of the ride on Cowgirls bike....

FRIDAY LOOP

So woke up on Friday after a very long day and short night of sleep. I was beat and Rob was too from being out riding all day as well. He got back at 1:30. Since the original plan for that day was going to be a 250 mile ride we decided instead to do the Escape route which was the original plan when coming in on Friday.

Luv2Race, RobG and I headed out bout 10:30 and rode down to Trona to pick up the entry point for the ride, the plan was Escape route, Ballarat, Charcole Kilns to the top then back to camp.

Here are the three of us getting started on the loop...

RobG scoping out the ride ahead.

While along the way to Ballarat the O2 sensor plug blew out on the header pipe of the bike so out in the middle of the sand wash we had to implement a repair, I don't have any pics but I know a few will be coming, it was a real bitch and due to the hole facing the inside of the tank, running it without the plug was not an option, it would have melted the gas tank.

We then decided to head out to Telescope peak past the Kilns. Easy ride on dirt the to Wildrose. Not much excitement but it was a good way to end the ride.

At that altitude hiking took its toll.

But the view was worth it.

We stopped at the kilns for obligatory photos.

Luv2race

RobG

So we get back to camp in time to catch the natives gettin frisky and a riding presentation was taking place as well.

Then people lined up for dinner

Ended the evening with a great view...good way to end day 1

SATURDAY LOOP

Next day the plan was Hunter Mountain - Racetrack - Lippencott

Part way up there was a get off the rider was luckily unhurt but had a pretty good blow to the elbow which put him out of commission he decided to be safe and turned back to camp.

Tank pretty good indicator of the hit he took.

The crew:

RobG (Robert) KLX250 (not in pic)
Lonestar2112 (Bob) XR650L
RWG65 (Ron) XR400
Dainbramage (Dain) DRZ400
Azsimpson (Christer) WR250
Big dude in jacket is Steve don't know his screen name, he was on the Beta.

Coming up Saline Valley this was the fun part flat and fast.

Hit some pretty good mud holes up on top of the mountain..

No one was willing to try riding through it though...

We made a side trip to the cabin.

There was some bear marks on a tree as well

From there we went out to tea kettle junction. Found the infamous silt bed.

Everyone made it through...for the most part (fall was not riding related).

The junction

And where did this come from?

We headed out to the race track, wind was so bad we had a dust brown out for a good distance while riding past the grand stand. We stopped on the far side to get some pics of the racing rocks.

From there we headed out to Lippencott. Myself and another rider went ahead and after a while were wondering what was taking them so long. Turned out one of the ADV folk showed up in a truck after we left and they had a beer. And didn't even think to bring one back for either of us...bastards..

Lippencott..

Made in back to camp in time for dinner and raffle. The wind was really picking up and it got damn cold. No pics of that part of the evening, battery was dead in the camera by then.

TOTAL STATS

DSM8 screwed with this post 04-01-2012 at 09:34 PM
DSM8 is offline   Reply With Quote