Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2012, 05:15 PM   #46
slugdad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by fudgypup View Post
Found this site on the Briggs gold mine near Ballarat.

Cool video too.

Imagine $382 Million in mined gold.

amazing they can turn a profit at 2/100oz net per ton of ore
but what the heck, banks giving me 2/10% apr
slugdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:11 PM   #47
r3r3r
Wildebeast

Oddometer: 538
2012 DV n00bs Rally Ride Report

Since I was attempting to lead a couple of rides this year I wasn't able to get as many photos as I have in the past.

Driving down on Thursday, I ran into Mootsuno and Davebro in Kettleman City while fueling up. We headed over the mountains and into DV together.

We arrived at camp in time to settle in and get a bite with Eggroll (Luke, thanks for the pizza!)

Sunrise over the Panamint Valley, not long before the F-18 jetted through the valley at extremely low altitude.

Riders lining up for their rides on Friday AM at the PSR gas station.

I was leading a small group up and over Hunter Mountain and down Lippincott Road. Here is a map of the route.

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/991091

We rode out through Darwin. Here is out first stop at the China Camp Spring (I found out later that it was a Japanese cook that gave the spring its name - go figure...)

Darwin

Stop at the "Y" split for Cerro Gordo and South Pass/Saline Valley

Clarence (CRW) and Gautam (stuntcrazy) on South Pass.

View back down into Panamint Valley

Ed (novos) and Andrea (Flyingsqwerl)

Up on Hunter Mountain.

Awesome conditions and weather, but a few mud puddles.

The view from our lunch spot on the was into Hidden Valley.

We headed down the hill through Hidden Valley (and across the infamous silt bed) to Teakettle Junction. Crossing paths with Johngil and Browneye (Chris) along the way.

Kicking up dust on the way to the Racetrack.

Awesome weather on Friday.

Preparing to go down Lippincott Road.

This was my first time heading down this road. I had a great time. I think that this is one of the best routes in Death Valley.

There are two riders (CRW and stuntcrazy) in this picture.

We all made it to the bottom of Lippincott safe and together as a group. We ran into other groups as the bottom. A tire change was well underway as we arrived (the last section of Lippincott across Saline Valley is really rocky!)

Charged out along Saline Valley Road and up South Pass. Two surprise water crossings (at least the first one surprised me) along the way.

The junction of Saline Valley Road (left) and Hunter Mountain (right) at South Pass

We continued on down Saline Valley Road at a good clip. Ed had been following Andrea and another whole group was behind us. I saw another rider in my rearview (who I thought might be Ed) as we headed across the broken pavement at 60+ MPH. He disappeared and I thought he had stopped to wait for Andrea to catch up. We found out later he had a flat, as we waited at the end of Saline Valley Road . News came out right after we stopped that others (Tbarstow - Tim) were helping him fix the flat. We figured all was well, and headed back to camp after waiting an hour for them to finish and come down the road. I didn't realize until we got back to camp that Ed had also crashed as a result of the flat tire. I give my thanks to Tim for helping them get the tire changed (even without the necessary 12mm allen wrench...)

Friday night was a fun time with old and new friends. Still had time to prepare for Saturday's ride up Goler Wash and Mengel Pass. Here is a map of Saturday's route.

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/991136

The group was much bigger this time, with a lot of last minute adds, including all of my riders from the Friday ride. 14 to start. We headed out into Panamint Valley and into the wind. Shortly after starting, Andrea's little DR200 had some problems and she and Ed turned back to camp. We continued on along Indian Ranch Road into Ballarat and on to Goler Wash.

I managed to make it up the step with Gautam's help.

Others were able to ride it on their own.

Michael (michael.brat)

Isaac (isaac004)

Dave (Sgt Smoker) carrying his luggage up and over the step

Then, we pulled the GS1200 up and over the step with a tow strap. That was a group effort! It made it up and over unscathed. Shortly after, I realized that my boot had come apart and I was trying to tape my boot back together as a Mercedes came along and climbed up the step. There was a mad scramble to get on the bikes and get moving.

Shortly after, Joel (Pearlite) had a fall and hit his head. He was shaken and it took him a bit to get going again. We all met up at Mengel Pass and realized that Joel, Matthew (surferbum) and Bob (CalGser) were not with us. I looped back across the rocky section a couple of times to check in on them and sent the rest of the group on to the cabin to wait since the wind was howling in the pass.

After a rest, we separated from the small group of three, who planned to take their time to get down through the valley and head back along the paved road.

Butte Valley

Talc Mine - Warm Springs Valley

We turned onto West Side Road (highway...?) in Death Valley, headed north towards Furnace Creek.

It was so windy on West Side Road, that the engines were getting hot since we were literally riding as fast as the wind. It was as if there was no wind blowing across the cooling fins, even though we were tearing along at highway speeds.

At the end of the road, many of us were surprised at the strength of the wind blowing through the valley. It swept a few of us across the road as we made the turn back to the paved highway.

Through Furnace Creek and back to camp through the awful wind. The group separated a bit more as some of us stopped at the Visitor's Center. I was checking the range on my XR650l and was able to complete the entire loop on one tank (although I had to switch to reserve at the top of Towne Pass, then to tip the last of the fuel into the left side of the tank a few miles from camp). Long ride, but a lot of fun. Everyone made it back to camp safely, even though we had split up along the way.

Saturday night was very windy and rather cold,. We had dinner and the awards ceremony huddled behind the trees. Not the usual party with the bonfire, but everyone had a great time, and Jimmy was hilarious as the MC.

Dave (pinocono) and a well deserved bottle of tequila after a long weekend of riding.

I was glad that the rides on both days turned out so well. I had such a great time riding with everyone. I am always amazed a the great group of people that turn out for this event. Each year it just keeps on getting better and better.

Headed out the next day. Goodbye to Death Valley, 'til next time.

r3r3r screwed with this post 04-04-2012 at 08:26 AM
r3r3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:26 PM   #48
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,180
R3r3r & M1jeep

Old 04-03-2012, 08:28 PM   #49
D-Pow
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Good stuff guys, some really nice long exposure night shots.
D-Pow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:33 PM   #50
r3r3r
Wildebeast

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinocono View Post
I had signed up for r3r3r's (Randall) ride to Ballarat, through Goler Wash, over Mengel Pass, with a cabin to visit, and some fantastic riding on a variety of off-road surfaces. Friday night, I was really whooped, and almost talked myself out of this ride. I am so glad I didn't. These guys were great, and riding with them had me challenging myself, and growing as an off-road rider.

It took some effort to roust a few of us from the lethergy brought on by lunch, but we did get back on the bikes and headed down Butte Valley and Warm Spring Canyon to West Side Road. West Side Road was just fast, fast, fast, dusty, and did I say fast. I thought I was haulin', when r3r3r blasted by me like I was stuck in 1st gear! Randal did yeoman's duty herding his cats. He must've put on an additional 60 miles or more running back and forth to check on us stragglers.

I want to thank everybody I came in contact with for making this a fantastic event for me. From the ride leaders, to the folks that made the dinners happen, to each and every one of you that gave me encouragement and pointers, to my fellow n00bs that inspired me, thank you for a great time.

And Joel, thanks for organizing this shindig. It really is an event where the"elders" pass on their knowledge and take us n00bs under their wings, to show us the way. I've been having fun on this bike for several months now, but I am really hooked now. I had more fun than a tornado in a trailer park.

Dave
Dave, I'm glad you were able to make this ride, too. Even more so that you had a such a great time. I'd be glad to ride with you anytime!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey113 View Post
The Steel ride was challenging and got me ready for Goler / Mengal on Saturday. Randall (r3r3r) was equally a good ride leader. You guys are a wealth of knowledge. Back in camp Josh and Keith were good company and guys I'd like to ride with in the future. Everyone I spoke with was cool - there just wasn't enough time get to know ya-all.

Hope to see you all soon!
Mike, I'm also glad that you were able to join us on the Goler/Mengel ride. Good talking with you as well. Send me a PM if you have any more questions about XRs.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:36 PM   #51
originaltk
See the world!

Oddometer: 9
Cool2 Next Year

This is great!!! Thanks for having such a great event. Next year!!!

TK
originaltk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:52 PM   #52
stuntcrazy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Hey Randall

Quote:
Originally Posted by r3r3r View Post

Mike, I'm also glad that you were able to join us on the Goler/Mengel ride. Good talking with you as well. Send me a PM if you have any more questions about XRs.

Randall, it was great riding with you.
Nice ride report . :)
will see you in Mendo!!
stuntcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:54 PM   #53
pinocono
Husky Dü

Oddometer: 320
Quote:
Dave, I'm glad you were able to make this ride, too. Even more so that you had a such a great time. I'd be glad to ride with you anytime!
Thanks, Randall, I had a great time all weekend, but the riding and the camaraderie that goes with it was the highlight of it all.

Your pictures are great, and it's pretty cool to see the same ride from a different view.

Dave
pinocono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 09:17 PM   #54
FYYFF
Forever young...

Oddometer: 1,864
We did south loop with Joel (h8chain) and Larry (GalacticGS) on Saturday. Warm Springs Road was very rocky.
Here is a short video.

My Smugmug
Follow me with SPOT
My YouTube
FYYFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 09:55 PM   #55
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 15,713

ersin, video me like and me no like going fast, but have to, many PPs waiting for me for their saturday night dinner....

i enjoy larry's plan, east to west. the effect was entirely different than the usual route. i almost cooked the first blind rise then a sharp left turn.

it seems there are more rocks than last year. great to see several of our guys from the oncoming traffic, and all on their respective lane....

i think it was pearlite riding up that rocky hill before mengel.

and larry though he rides his gs1200 very well; bringing the 570 turned him into a beast....sweet bike......
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 08:29 AM   #56
r3r3r
Wildebeast

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuntcrazy View Post
Randall, it was great riding with you.
Nice ride report . :)
will see you in Mendo!!
Looking forward to it, Dr. G!
Old 04-04-2012, 09:24 AM   #57
FYYFF
Forever young...

This is a video of Mengel Pass. We went up the Mengel. It wasn't bad at all. Actual climbing is on the last minute of the video.

My Smugmug
Follow me with SPOT
My YouTube
Old 04-04-2012, 10:17 AM   #58
surferbum
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 328
Talking A group effort indeed. Here's the proof

Quote:
2012 DV n00bs Rally Ride Report
Then, we pulled the GS1200 up and over the step with a tow strap. That was a group effort! It made it up and over unscathed. Shortly after, I realized that my boot had come apart and I was trying to tape my boot back together as a Mercedes came along and climbed up the step. There was a mad scramble to get on the bikes and get moving.
A group effort indeed. Here's the proof:

/Matthew
BT2010 - Big Trip 2010 13 days and ...
My Spot WhereAmIriding

surferbum screwed with this post 04-04-2012 at 02:06 PM
surferbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 12:43 PM   #59
FYYFF
Forever young...

This is how you shouldn't ride your big bike down Goler Steps.
You can see Larry (GalacticGS) riding his Husky down easily around the middle of the helmet cam video.

Crashbar Cam:

Helmet Cam:

My Smugmug
Follow me with SPOT
My YouTube
Old 04-04-2012, 01:07 PM   #60
Zen Slug
Spineless Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,947
Thumb nice report r3r3r!

Quote:
2012 DV n00bs Rally Ride Report...Headed out the next day. Goodbye to Death Valley, 'til next time.

Zen Slug's Rides

Join the ADV TooL PooL!
Zen Slug is offline   Reply With Quote