moosemeat OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAFFO View Post
could you post a link please
iaai.com

copart.com

be carefull, the China-men are buying up everything BMW. shipping em overseas by the hundreds. and paying out the waaazoo for them. no more good deals to be had.
moosemeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 07:32 PM   #153
moosemeat OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by r1200gs_chris View Post
Yep, let's see the pics. I've been told bending aluminium is tricky as it can weaken at the bend so let's see how you did it.

proper tools and some heat and you can bend anything.
Old 04-04-2012, 05:47 AM   #154
Warthog
TeutonicChronic

Oddometer: 842
Shorai Lithium battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosemeat View Post

Anyone got the skinny on the 1.5# lithium battery that's the size of a rubiks cube???

I wanna get one. Nice n' lite
Yes, I installed one this past weekend on my HP2. Shorai LFX14A1-BS12... 14Ah model. It spins a little slow on first hit. I recommend turning the bike on, and waiting 60 seconds or so to let the battery wake up. It hits strong on the second crank. I've only had if for a week, so we will see how it goes.

I added 25mm of padding to the front side of the battery box, and 15mm of padding to the bottom. Then dropped the battery in, and secured with the clamp. Nice and tight. The shipping box comes with about 15 pieces of medium density foam with sticky backing. Great for making the smaller battery fit in a larger space. Very thoughtful of the Shorai folks.

2006 HP2
Warthog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 09:07 AM   #155
moosemeat OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warthog View Post
Yes, I installed one this past weekend on my HP2. Shorai LFX14A1-BS12... 14Ah model. It spins a little slow on first hit. I recommend turning the bike on, and waiting 60 seconds or so to let the battery wake up. It hits strong on the second crank. I've only had if for a week, so we will see how it goes.

I added 25mm of padding to the front side of the battery box, and 15mm of padding to the bottom. Then dropped the battery in, and secured with the clamp. Nice and tight. The shipping box comes with about 15 pieces of medium density foam with sticky backing. Great for making the smaller battery fit in a larger space. Very thoughtful of the Shorai folks.
Nice! Thanks a bunch Warthog!
Old 04-04-2012, 09:52 PM   #156
GSMarc
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warthog View Post
Yes, I installed one this past weekend on my HP2. Shorai LFX14A1-BS12... 14Ah model.
They say : LFX18A1-BS12 , 18 Ah for the HP2 models
2005 HP2E
2005 HP2E SM Prototype
GSMarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 12:33 AM   #157
Denalidirt
High Plains Drifter

Oddometer: 805
nice

Like the KTM color scheme.
Denalidirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 04:12 AM   #158
bracky72
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 870
A Ballistic 12 cell battery is firing my R1200 right up. A cheaper option then the Shorai.
bracky72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 04:45 AM   #159
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,736
Have you actually had it running yet?

If still having trouble with pics, send a few of the latest to me again and I'll post them for ya.

Cheers!
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 06:57 AM   #160
Ducmonza
boob

Oddometer: 63
Laugh

Congratulations on the perseverance to take on such a project. My hat truly goes off to you! Please post some pictures of how the bike looks now.

Old 04-05-2012, 06:59 AM   #161
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by slartidbartfast View Post
Have you actually had it running yet?
Sorry, don't want to join the attack brigade, but I've been wondering the same thing. If the mechanicals are already dealt with then I'd say this was an outstanding project. But, if the bike isn't running and fully operational then I can't see spending so much money and effort on cosmetics. In my way of thinking dealing with the mechanical aspect is the FIRST thing done, then once that is all sorted and correct you move on to addressing the cosmetic concerns.

Forgive me for asking, but after all these pages all I've really seen mentioned is looks, coolness, and other purely cosmetic considerations. Perhaps I'm wrong but I just haven't read much about what was done to get the bike mechanically sound.

Perhaps it didn't get all that hot. Maybe it didn't get hot enough to actually damage any of the major metal components like the frame, etc. But, it obviously did get hot enough to do a real number on all of the plastic/rubber parts, and seeing as how the BMW is a very high tech machine that relies heavily on electronics for almost everything, and electronics rely heavily on plastics for insulators, etc. Well, let's just say that electrical gremlins could be an ongoing issue with a bike that suffered that sort of damage and I personally would want that all sorted before worrying about making the bike look good.
"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 06:22 PM   #162
moosemeat OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
Sorry, don't want to join the attack brigade, but I've been wondering the same thing. If the mechanicals are already dealt with then I'd say this was an outstanding project. But, if the bike isn't running and fully operational then I can't see spending so much money and effort on cosmetics. In my way of thinking dealing with the mechanical aspect is the FIRST thing done, then once that is all sorted and correct you move on to addressing the cosmetic concerns.

Forgive me for asking, but after all these pages all I've really seen mentioned is looks, coolness, and other purely cosmetic considerations. Perhaps I'm wrong but I just haven't read much about what was done to get the bike mechanically sound.

Perhaps it didn't get all that hot. Maybe it didn't get hot enough to actually damage any of the major metal components like the frame, etc. But, it obviously did get hot enough to do a real number on all of the plastic/rubber parts, and seeing as how the BMW is a very high tech machine that relies heavily on electronics for almost everything, and electronics rely heavily on plastics for insulators, etc. Well, let's just say that electrical gremlins could be an ongoing issue with a bike that suffered that sort of damage and I personally would want that all sorted before worrying about making the bike look good.
As soon as my CAN-bus harness gets here fron Deutschland ($118.00 from a HP2 mega moto non abs unit) i will know if the bmsk is good or not. thats the only "IF" i have to deal with. If the bmsk didn't survive MAXBMW will send a new one. What's another 700.00 bucks at this point? gonna snap some picts right now. my machine shop project came out pretty cool i have to say! It's off to powdercoating tomorrow.

oh and it's a good thing i'm in the BMW Motorrad program cuz i never would have thought of checking out the mechanicals before spending some cake on some garage art. good thing huh? duh!

moosemeat screwed with this post 04-08-2012 at 08:28 PM
Old 04-08-2012, 06:56 PM   #163
hillbillypolack
Grumpy Old Goat

Oddometer: 5,610
It sounds like a fantastic sculpture so far!

1996 M900, "Patience" 2012 GS "Sonar" 2008 Megamoto "Big Blue" 2008 S2R "WTF"
hillbillypolack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 08:24 PM   #164
moosemeat OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bracky72 View Post
A Ballistic 12 cell battery is firing my R1200 right up. A cheaper option then the Shorai.
I got one a few days ago. The box felt empty cuz the dam thing is so lite!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 1.7 pounds and it even matches the red frame......ewww laaah laaah! plenty of room on the battery tray now for a nice custom made tool box! Next project me thinks
Old 04-13-2012, 07:44 PM   #165
hillbillypolack
Grumpy Old Goat

Oddometer: 5,610
Just wondering if there are any updates on the sculpture.

BTW, I've logged a thousand miles on my 'boring, bone stock' Boxer in the last three weeks.

Let's see some miles on that HP, eh?

WHOOOOOO-AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH!!!

1996 M900, "Patience" 2012 GS "Sonar" 2008 Megamoto "Big Blue" 2008 S2R "WTF"
hillbillypolack is offline   Reply With Quote