Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2012, 01:08 PM   #61
airborndad OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,476
Thursday I wanted to do a short ride so myself and my son Justin planned to go straight to Telescope Peak then check out the Charcoal Kilns on the return route then to Aguereberry Point
kinda changed plans in route and headed towards Aguereberry Point first
A couple of miles off of the pavement we saw a little structure off to the side of the road on the way in so we turned around to check it out, turns out it was Aguereberry Camp

Who was Pete Aguereberry

Pete Aguereberry was born in 1874 into a Basque family in France. At an early age he read about the wonderful gold discoveries in California and begged his father to let him come to the United States. When he turned 16 his father relented, and Pete sailed for America in 1890.
For the next several years he struggled to learn the language while taking on a number of jobs. He worked as a handball player, sheepherder, cattle driver, milk truck driver, ice delivery man, ranch hand and stage driver until he wound up in Goldfield around 1902.
He came out to this area in 1905, and in June of that year he almost died trying to cross Death Valley in summer heat. He was found and nursed back to health by Oscar Denton, the caretaker for the Greenland Ranch, and just a month later was headed up to Ballarat with Shorty Harris. Along their journey Pete found a ledge that looked promising, and indeed it contained free gold. Pete filed claims for himself on the north side of the hill while Shorty took claims on the south side.
By August, at least 20 parties were working in the area and samples of the gold were assayed as high as $500 a ton. Three hundred men and women settled into the camp which became known as Harrisburg. Originally Pete and Shorty had agreed to call it Harrisberry, but Shorty changed the name in telling the story about it. Water was brought in from Emigrant Spring, Blackwater Spring and Wild Rose Spring.
By 1907 the Eureka mine was tied up in a litigation battle that ended in 1909 when Pete got control of the claims. Pete worked at the mine from 1907 until the early 1930’s when his health was failing him. Except for some help from his nephew in his later years, the Eureka mine was built and worked by Pete alone. Pete died on Nov. 23, 1945 and he is buried in Lone Pine, California.

To reach the area where Pete Aguereberry lived and worked for over 40 years, take Hwy. 190 past Stovepipe Wells and up Emigrant Campground. Turn left following the signs to Wildrose. In about 10 miles there will be a turn off for Aguereberry Point. When you turn here you will come to the Aguereberry camp a mile down the road.

At Aguereberry camp you will find Pete’s original cabin built in 1907. It is a two room structure containing a gas stove and refrigerator. Pete lived here from 1907 until his death in 1945. The middle cabin was built in 1941 as a guest house and the cabin to the left was built around 1946 for an unknown reason.
Around the corner is the site of the Eureka gold mine. The tunnels have all been stabilized with netting and are safe to enter but you will need a flashlight. In the winter the mine is closed with a bat gate due to hibernating Townsend's long eared bats. The mine opens again in spring.

In his later years Pete would take visitors on a tour of his mine and what he called "The Great View" of Death Valley. If you follow the road further on, you will reach this view. It was later named Aguereberry Point in honor of Pete.

Back to the trail it turned into a really nice canyon (gloved finger got in the way on a few pictures throughout the weekend)

suddenly we had our breathes taken away by the incredible view of Aguereberry Point

Hired stunt crow

Our rides 2 - 2006 XT 225's

on the way back out we spotted this structure behind Aguereberry Camp we saw it on the map while at Aguereberry Camp but didn't realize it was so close so we went to check out Cashier Mill

tough times to have to live in some of these places especially in the Summer or when its snowing

Next destination Telescope Peak

made it to Mahogany Flats and ran into a closed gate so No Telescope Peak for us unless we wanted to hike to it and I did not feel like going for a hike in my Alpinestar Tech 4's so we did a little scouting out of the place looks like an awesome place to camp in the future probably cold at night though at 8090 ft but i'm sure it's well worth it for the incredible views

Cactus at 8000 + ft

Next stop back down to the Charcoal Kilns ( in the center of the picture ) that we passed on the way up

A little History

Why Charcoal?

Charcoal is a black, porous form of carbon prepared by charring wood or organic matter in a kiln or retort from which air is excluded. Charcoal produced from wood retains its basic shape and texture but is converted to a 96% pure carbon content. In the 19th century and earlier, charcoal was used for a furnace fuel because it burned more slowly than wood and created a much greater heat that was needed for the refining of ores

Wildrose Charcoal Kilns

An exerpt from "Charcoal Kilns Historic Structures Report" 1970
The charcoal kilns complex in Wildrose Canyon is among the more remarkable historical-architectural features of Death Valley National Park. These ten beehive shaped masonry structures, about 25 feet high, are believed to be the best known surviving example of such kilns to be found in the western states.

Modock Mines
The Wildrose Charcoal Kilns were completed in 1877 by the Modock Consolidated Mining Company to provide a source of fuel suitable for use in two smelters adjacent to their group of lead-silver mines in the Argus Range west of Panamint Valley, about 25 miles distant from the kilns. Although the mines themselves were worked intermittently until about 1900, there is no clear evidence that the charcoal kilns were operational after 1879. Evidently either other fuel sources were located or it was found to be more profitable to ship the raw ore elsewhere for processing. This short life may help to explain the remarkably good condition of these kilns, more than 100 years after their construction.

Hearst Connection
One of the incorporators of the Modock Company, operating out of San Francisco, was George Hearst, Father of William Randolph Hearst. George Hearst became famous as a mine expert, and his immense wealth was derived from interest in various mines. However, the Modock group was not one of his great successes. Apparently it did not gross much more than $3,000,000 ofer a period of thirty years. Beginning about 1881 the mines were leased to others. They have been inactive since the turn of the century.

Transporting Charcoal
Associated with the Modock mines were the neighboring towns of Darwin and Lookout, rough towns which out-lived the more famous Panamint City. A trail from Lookout to Wildrose Canyon was constructed. Charcoal was transported to the smelters by jackass pack-trains, though wagons also were probably involved.

Building & Working the Kilns
A company man named Morris built the Wildrose kilns. Actual documentable details of the construction job and the operation are lacking, as is confirmation that the labor force included American Indians and Chinese. The presence of Mexicans is amply indicated. It seems logical that, with a fairly large labor force of wood-cutters, charcoal-burners and haulers, there would be a "settlement" of some kind, with tents and/or log cabins, and there is one hint of a town of "Wild Rose." Its exact location is unknown, but a fair guess would be that it was a summer camp near the kilns, where water would have to be hauled in; or else it was located in the vicinity of the life-giving Wildrose Spring, several miles downhill from the kilns.

Got back to camp and

this was taken the next morning

( It wasn't all me -- I had some professional and semi pros assist )

airborndad screwed with this post 05-06-2012 at 11:20 AM
airborndad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 04:05 PM   #62
dirty adventurer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
Semi-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by airborndad View Post
Got back to camp and

this was taken the next morning

( It wasn't all me -- I had some professional and semi pros assist )
I think I can take credit for being a semi-pro. I'm definitely not a pro. Luvs2drink can take credit for that.

Good seeing you Keith and thanks again for the ice cold Heinekens. They really hit the spot!
Old 04-04-2012, 04:06 PM   #63
francisthepig
Dances with Lurkers

Oddometer: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by FYYFF View Post
This is how you shouldn't ride your big bike down Goler Steps.
You can see Larry (GalacticGS) riding his Husky down easily around the middle of the helmet cam video.

Crashbar Cam:

Helmet Cam:

Very cool to watch, especially if you hit play on both at the same time.
francisthepig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 05:48 PM   #64
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 15,713
thank you contributors...lots of good rr and vids.....i need to get mine up soon, working on it.
NSFW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 06:37 PM   #65
GalacticGS
1200 GS Rider

Oddometer: 2,023
Didn't get a lot of pics, but here's some from our Friday Ride - Planned to go to Chloride Cliffs, Back way to Beatty, Rhyolite, and Titus Canyon

Responsible ADV Crew getting their permits at the Ranger Station in Stovepipe Wells

NowWhat's crew on the way to Chloride Cliffs

On the way to Chloride Cliffs

Everyone made it to Chloride Cliffs!!!

MotoK and FudgyPup - Conquering Hero's

I didn't get any more pictures after this. We all made it back down from Chloride Cliffs just fine, and started heading east towards Beatty. We were going to take the back way (dirt roads) to Beatty, which involves taking a two-track road south for a few miles before crossing Hwy 95 and heading into the hills south of Beatty. Unfortunately, the road was a little whooped-out and one of our riders (MotoK) went down. Unfortunately, he caught his foot between the footpeg and a rock and was in a lot of pain. We eventually decided that we needed to call 911 and get some help for him.

They sent a Fire Department 4X4 truck out to pickup MotoK and get him back to where they could transfer him to an ambulance. I sent the other riders on to finish the ride, while I gassed up in Beatty and hightailed it back to PSR to find a volunteer with a truck to help recover MotoK's bike that we left off the side of the trail. I was lucky enough to run into libratrades, who quickly agreed to use his truck for Triple-A duty.

We left PSR around 3:30pm, and headed to pick up MotoK's bike. On the way, I called MotoK and found out that they had taken him to Desert View Hospital in Pahrump where they discoverd he had three broken bones in his foot (I'm glad we called 911). So after getting his bike recovered, it was off to Pahrump to get MotoK. Since we had to wait for an hour to fill his prescription for meds, we ate some Pahrump fine dining at Denny's. Then, since the sherriff had forgotten to give MotoK's glasses back to the ambulance crew, we had to back track to Beatty to get his glasses. We finally got back to PSR around 10:45pm. It was a long day, but at least we got MotoK and his bike back to PSR. JnyRav was kind enough to get MotoK back to LA on Saturday morning.

Looking forward to riding with you again in the future Motok (but with better boots)!

Thanks again to libratrades for helping out!!!
"Speak to me of summer, long winters longer than time can remember;
Setting up of other roads, travel on in old accustomed ways."
GalacticGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 11:41 PM   #66
PERRO-FROM-HELL
Life is good

Oddometer: 78
My First Noobs Rally

Let's start with I'm a noob, but also hungry to learn from all of you experienced ADVriders.

After joining ADVrider on early January I was reading about this epic ride (some days it was really hard to keep up reading, too many comments or some good human drama, and YES what an experience! It has everything a motorcycle enthusiast is looking for: paradise, nature, great people to meet and see again and of course new great friends. Did I mention I'm Colombian? if not here you go, just in case you get bored from the accent on my typing...

I leave early on Thursday to meet Fudgypup (Eric) and Motok (Prakash).

Quick stop after Trona for a mandatory pic

On Friday morning we get together at 8:45 a.m. to meet with our Rider leader GalaticGS. Here is MotoK ready for the adventure of his life...

After Chloride Cliffs we went east towards Beaty and the ride became a bit challenging. I was doing pretty good after Fudgypup good advices at Hesperia training day last weekend but Motok did loose control and his brand new Suzuki landed on his feet. GalacticGS act as a real Leader call 911 and took reigns of the situation.

We waited for about 45 minutes and a 4x4 fire department truck show-up to pick Motok and take him to the ambulance a couple of miles down the road.

Don't worry Motok, you will heal pretty soon and we will be here to ride with you

We decided to continue and had lunch at Beaty. Fudgyup was the new captain in charge while GalacticGS went back to camp to find somebody with a truck to pick MotoK and his bike. You are a good leader Larry, I've learned a lot from you that day.

Here is the new captain Fudgypup leading the remain 6 riders.

Nice ride at Ryolite

Titus Canyon, what a place

Made safe to camp! and the signature photo pose! Que Chimba!

Day 2 Saturday

With the race track in our minds, fudgypup (Eric), scrambleon (Josh) and I decided to go and check it out.

Pics at Saline Valley

Stop at Hunter mountain

Down to Teakettle

And then Race Track yeah!!!

Next stop, Ubehebe Crater

Death Valley's sunset as pretty as can be

On Sunday I rode solo to Long Beach. It was a mix of peacefulness and a satisfaction feeling, GRACIAS Joel for organizing this event and encourage me to join this ride. I'm IN for the next one!!!!!!

PERRO-FROM-HELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 11:42 PM   #67
surferbum
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 328
Thumb 2012 Noobs Death Valley Ride Report by suferbum

This 2012 Noobs Death Valley rally caught my eye in early January. Have been through Death Valley on my motorcycle before but never off paved roads there. I didn't know what to expect but followed the thread and pulled the trigger. What could be better then riding with 150 of my closest friends plus have some experienced ride leaders and great routes. Plus it was a Noob rally so I wouldn't feel like I fell into a motocross race. Little did I know that the famous gambling saying goes
Quote:
When you look around the table and don't see a sucker; You're it
has a corollary with the Noobs rally:
Quote:
When you look around for other Noobs (especially ones riding BMW 1200GS's and don't see any; You're the only Noob
Let the fun begin:

I signed up for two rides on Friday (Chloride/Rhyolite/Titus Adventure led by GalacticGS AKA Larry) and Saturday (Goler Wash and Mengel Pass led by r3r3r AKA Randall). As an aside, h8chains (AKA Joel) said he remembers people more by their ADVrider handle instead of their names. I started using the same memory trick. My frequent riding companion (CalGSer AKA Bob) was trailering his bike down so I had him bring most of my gear. It made a very pleasurable ride from San Francisco to Death Valley. I always try to avoid interstates. I left on Thursday and it took 9 hours to reach Panamint Springs to setup camp. Here I am ready to go (way too serious though):

Here was my route there and back:

View Home2ParamintSpringsResort in a larger map

Weather was great (couldn't say that about my return though). Almost ran out of gas near Red Rock. Didn't want to back-track (almost wrong choice) so went cross-country to Johannesburg. Luckily the town still has a legitimate filling station-I had 1/4 gallon left in the tank. Pee break and full tank. Life is good.

Arrived alittle before dark and setup my Marmot Limelight 3P tent (little did I know my tent's wind capability would be tested) using large rocks as anchors. Hooked up with Bob and met our camp mates: Christine and BigToad (AKA Todd). Say cheese:

Along US 395 snapped a couple of photos: one of Red Hill cinder cone and another beautiful panoramic range to the east of the highway:

Woke up early on Friday, excited about the ride but had to prepare my GS1200. Learned that it is best to strip the mirrors, windshield and adjust the front blinkers otherwise a fall could results in $$$ bills to BMW. Also raise the handle bars and lower the tire pressure to 25 lbs. My bike has alloy wheels (not spoke) so I'm careful. Knock on wood that I've never had a flat tire (TKC 80's) or cracked wheels.

The route developed by GalacticGS was described as:
Quote:
Slab west, gas up in Stovepipe, on to Chloride Cliffs. We'll take all dirt roads into the back side of Beatty, and eat lunch there. After lunch, it will be a very short section of pavement to Rhyolite. Then to beautiful Titus Canyon. Will re-gas in Stovepipe on the way back.
After the turnoff to Chloride Cliffs and until we reach the end of Titus Canyon, this will be 98% dirt roads.
This will be noob and big bike friendly if you have moderate dirt skills.
Here's the map:

View Chloride/Rhyolite/Titus Adventure in a larger map

If you can't see the route on the map then follow this linky.

The ride to Chloride Cliffs was fun and a good warmup. Here's a collage at the cliffs:

• Top Left: Me and our fearless leader, GalacticGS
  • Top Right: Covered mine shaft on Chloride Cliffs
  • Bottom Right: Arm-length camera shot with Chloride Cliffs in background.

Here's a YouTube video of this section:

Unfortunately our group had a casualty, MotoK. We were riding on a abandoned section of The Racetrack according to the sheriff and the race organizers reneged on a pledge to do some road maintenance. I feel your pain MotoK but at least there was no field amputation required. I know some of the FF's wanted to test their knives. GalacticGS left the group to get a pickup for hauling the deserted bike back to PSR. The Noobs were now in charge of the asylum. At one point the bumper sticker
Quote:
Don't follow me; I'm lost
came to mind or
Quote:
With 1 GPS you have a plan; With 2 you have confusion.
We made it to Beatty for lunch at Mel's Dinner (what a treat). Next stop was the ghost town of Rhyolite. Look up this historical link. Amazing to see a place go from 2 to 2500 people in 6 months. Plus Charles Schwab building the town infrastructure and then him eventually blowing through $800 million in twenty years. Here's a panoramic of what's mostly left:

The next stop was Titus Canyon. Other FF's have some great photos of Titus Canyon or you can see some here. Unfortunately it took us 15 minutes to leave the ghost town and start moving in the right direction of Titus Canyon (damn GPS satellites). The ride to Titus Canyon take you past Leadfield. Another shining example of the American conman. Here's a collage of this part of the trip.

• Upper Left: HD & LD Porter's remaining signage. They were the largest store in town.
  • Upper Right: A sign detailing Leadfield checkered founding.
  • Middle Left: Petroglyph's signage.
  • Bottom Left & Right: Actual Petroglyphs.

The is an area which contains Indian petroglyphs but my photos didn't do them justice.

Here's a pano of Leadfield track:

Here's a YouTube of going through Titus Canyon:

Slab it back to PSR. Enjoy a cold beer and relax. Joel and friends are cooking tonight. Sleep will feel real good (after a couple of Advil). Only fell once and it was only a misstep. With the GS1200, you get wore out if you pick it up too many times.

Saturday had a second Noob ride. I was already concerned because mine was the only GS1200 (or any big bike for that matter) on the ride. r2r2r had the lying eyes when I was asking about the validity of the Noob classification but I was up for the challenge. Here's the description:
Quote:
Standard Goler Wash and Mengel Pass loop. Counter-clockwise direction from PSR. Ride out through Panamint Valley on easy dirt to Ballarat and Goler Wash. One rock ledge/step (difficulty changes each year) that may be tough for n00b riders (but we will help pull your bike up it). Ride up Goler Wash to Mengel Pass. Possible stops at Barker Ranch (Manson's hideout) and Geologist's Cabin. Down through Warm Springs valley and West Side Road to Furnace Creek.
Leave from PSR gas station at 9 AM. 175 miles round trip. Fuel at Furnace Creek (~125 miles from start). The ride is not overly challenging for most riders, but there is a good amount of distance on dirt roads and loose material (sand and rocks). Could be tiring for dirt n00bs, but anyone who is up for the ride is welcome to join.
Right off the bat we lost two riders. Luckily I had my friend, Bob, on this ride for moral support. Even if he was riding a bike 200 lbs lighter then mine (and a better rider). Everyone on the ride looked like a motocross-experienced racer. Did hear that a few reached 80 MPH on hard-packed dirt during the last part of the ride. Crazy?!?!

Here's the route:

View Goler Wash and Mengel Pass loop in a larger map

If you can't see the route then here's a linky.

This route takes you by where Charles Manson was captured (according to folklore). The first significant work is getting up the steps at Goler Wash. Here's a YouTube video of my efforts (with a little help from my FF's).

As the video attests, the GS1200 flew up the steps (with a little tenny wenny tow rope). The next big feature was onward to Mengle Pass. Here's a photo collage of buds and success:

Bob and I were having fun but the third in our group (Pearlite) was having a rough day. But like Maverick learned
Quote:
You never leave you wingman.
Pearlite went flying 15 feet down and off the trail. I thought he was a goner. Running over to him, miraculously he feel into a perfect rock outline of his body. BTW his bike followed him too. Missed him and it miraculously survived after we hauled it back over the boulders. He was catching his breath when 3 black SUVs came up. Big tires. Dust coating their sides. Redneck Pinstriping too. Well here's the video:

The last video is us hauling out back to PSR in the 50 MPH wind/dust storms.

Saw this on my GPS. 175 feet below sea-level. Yeehaw.

That night at PSR, the dinner sandwiches tasted great. Won a bottle of Tequila and a promise of a wonderful hour with Joel later that night, but he never came by. Maybe it was because of the hellacious windstorm until 2AM. It was fun in a strange way to be in your tent and it standing up to everything that Death Valley wind can muster.

The next day was back to home using the same route as I came in on. The weather though was not the same. The first 3-4 hours had 30-40 MPH crosswinds (I bet some gusted up to 50 MPH). I was behind a few trucks for a while which I swear were hit so hard by the wind that they were nearly tipping over. The fun was just starting though with rain, wind and snow traveling over Tehachapi Pass where is was 36* for an hour of driving. I got home after 9 hours and stood in the warm shower.

Can't wait for next year though.
BT2010 - Big Trip 2010 13 days and ...
My Spot WhereAmIriding

surferbum screwed with this post 04-06-2012 at 11:54 AM
surferbum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 05:26 AM   #68
GalacticGS
1200 GS Rider

Oddometer: 2,023
tbarstow and I made a trip to the Saline Valley Hot Springs on Thursday.

Here's a vid of Saline Valley Road...

"Speak to me of summer, long winters longer than time can remember;
Setting up of other roads, travel on in old accustomed ways."
GalacticGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 09:21 AM   #69
slidewayes
slidewayes

Oddometer: 396
The biggest mistake I maid all weekend long was not going!! Congrats to Joel and all . See you next time.
slidewayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 09:58 AM   #70
r3r3r
Wildebeast

Oddometer: 538
Surferbum RR

Matthew, nice RR - I really like the format.

I also like your route down from SF. Lots of great riding in the hills between 101 and 5!
r3r3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 10:48 AM   #71
Nowwhat
I'll Go Second...

Oddometer: 4,429
As this was a noobs ride....perhaps some of us should have offered better advice before the ride...The pics of Motok show that he was wearing street boots.......ouch,,,

Street boots + Dirt riding = Hospital visit....

Heal fast Motok.....
'Berg 570..Trail Beast
Nowwhat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 12:29 PM   #72
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowwhat View Post
As this was a noobs ride....perhaps some of us should have offered better advice before the ride...The pics of Motok show that he was wearing street boots.......ouch,,,

Street boots + Dirt riding = Hospital visit....

Heal fast Motok.....

good point mike and well taken....

what else could go wrong?

yeah, we beat up the planning thread so much to a point peeps made a mockery of it, and unfortunately things could go wrong.

well....live and learn.....

heal up soon prakrash....

i'll get my RR posted soon. sorry folks for the delay, that's unusual of me....hehe.
Old 04-05-2012, 04:47 PM   #73
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

thursday RR

thursday, i got to psr camp @ 10 am, paul and i immediately giddyup to saline valley, we got lost....

first stop was the cottages after entering saline valley rd (not the alternate rd. which the majority took)

this building continue to endure the unforgiving weather of death valley....it will still be here after we're all long gone

the interior and the results of having guns in the wrong hands

we look around, found this abandoned mine

looking south east, the vastness of this place always amazes me

time to get moving, the steeds are waiting
Old 04-05-2012, 05:01 PM   #74
johngil
Reseda, CA

Oddometer: 3,678
I was really disappointed to see the two bike tracks and what looked to be a set of Jeep tracks on the Racetrack.
Assholes. It was wet enough to leave an impression that won't be going away any time soon.

johngil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 05:10 PM   #75
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

thursday RR

soon we caught up with these riders; must be dannyG leading it since the bikes are pointed at opposing directions...........j/k

glad to see biggie back on the saddle again...i guess he can't afford to miss the nOObs....

we let faster riders get in front of us

one of the 2 water crossings. poor paul he never saw the reflection of his bike....

did mine in a true noobie form....

the forerunner off-roaders were there doing their thang too

he's pointing where they rode from.....

soon a few riders emerge from the hills coming from lippencott rd; which later i learned the 2012 nOObs rode that on their way back to the camp......