|01-01-2012, 11:30 PM||#16|
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: Bay Area, CA USA
Last time we were in Costa Rica, we relied on a compass, a full tank of gas, written directions, and occasionally a helpful local. Even finding a map with anything more than the lowest level of detail was hard, so we spent 60% of our time on roads not on the map. When off the major paved roads, every road intersections had signs pointing how far to different towns down each fork, but it often seemed that town X was east of us at one intersection and then west of us at the next. When we were trying to get from Monteverde back to the Interamericana, we knew that if we kept going west, we eventually have to run into it, and, after what seemed like forever, we finally did.
I looked back at google maps near Monteverde just now. It's better than the map we had with us, but still doesn't show much compared to the number of potential routes that are actually there. If you went with a GPS that was only as good as google maps, you'd be hurting. The sample shots from gpstravelmaps.com look quite good though.
|01-20-2012, 07:30 AM||#17|
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Mpls, Mn.
I used the Cen Rut map set for Costa Rica and it worked very good. However, the auto routing feature didn't work very well as it would sometimes route you the very long way around (to main highways) to get you to your end point.
2008 KTM 990 Adv & 2007 KTM 640 Adv
|01-27-2012, 10:41 AM||#18|
Joined: Jun 2010
|04-04-2012, 09:14 AM||#19|
Joined: Dec 2010
Cenrut 2.8 is out and includes significant improvements in Costa Rica. Check it out- it's free, you have nothing to lose!
(Yes Dan, the link for the Mac version is there!)
I would like to say that if you want the overall best available map of Costa Rica and don't mind paying the money, then buy the map from NAVSATCR. These two are the only two options worth considering in Costa Rica: Cenrut(I am part of the project) and NAVSATCR( I have no relation to this company).
|04-06-2012, 05:25 AM||#20|
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Camp Hill Pa
gps map of costa rica
I have been down to Costa Rica a number of times, most recently was November 2011. Had no luck finding a good map. The gentleman that I rent bikes from could not even recommend a good source. I was also down in February and rented a car for 2 weeks, we also rented a gps from the auto rental that worked pretty well. Don't know the source of the map, but if you look into auto rentals they may be able to advise you as to what Co. they use.
Camp Hill Pa.
|10-09-2013, 05:31 PM||#21|
Joined: May 2010
Location: Colorado, USA
Costa Rica Map
We offer a GPS Map for Costa Rica and the surrounding countries at an affordable price. The Costa Rica map is updated almost monthly with the latest road conditions and points of interest.
Costa Rica GPS Map
Here is the update history for 2013.
Costa Rica GPS Map Update History
v 5.5 | Sept 2013
• Added 396 km of new roads.
• Improved Highway 27 - added interchanges.
• Added 16 km of oneways.
• Added name to 71 km of roads.
• Added more forest polygons.
• Added Radial El Coyol - more direct route to airport from Hwy 27.
v 5.4 | July 2013
• Added 13km of new roads around La Fortuna.
• Added road names to La Fortuna.
• Added POI's in and around La Fortuna.
• Added website, phone, email details to POI's.
• Added building polygons in La Fortuna.
• Realigned Lago Arenal shoreline.
• Improved accuracy of roads around Lago Arenal.
• Improved navigation.
v 5.3 | March 2013
• Added 632 km of new roads.
• Improved navigation and routing in San Jose.
• Added roads in Nicoya peninsula near Malpais.
• Added 85 km of oneways in San Jose.
• Added names to over 500 km of roads.
• Added 17 new POIs.
• Added more buildings, parks, lakes, and rivers.
• Added Chinatown in San Jose.
v 5.2 | February 2013
• Improved accuracy for over 400 km of roads.
• Added over 200 km of new roads.
• Added 2 km of oneways in San Jose.
• Updated airport locations.
v 5.1 | January 2013
• Added 1,011 km of new roads.
• Added 5 km of oneways.
• Added 147 new POIs.
• Added more airport POIs.
• Added roads to Venado, Ciudad Quesada, La Cruz and surrounding areas.
|Thread Tools||Search this Thread|
|Display Modes||Rate This Thread|