Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2011, 02:55 PM   #46
JimVonBaden OP
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,650
Quote:
Originally Posted by simmonsk133 View Post
+1 GS911 +2 Clutch replacement

Origional idea?? Installing switched FuzeBlock (Like the FZ-1A) and adding aux lighting to it.

I bought your DVD on R1200GS Maint. It now lives in my player. Thanks, Ken

Sorry, not original.....
Thanks, reinforcement on what to do is also appreciated!

I suggest a good romantic comedy in the player now and then, your SO will appreciate it!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 09:16 PM   #47
medic man
MEDIC MAN

Oddometer: 71
Alaska or cross country trip

Jim,
What do you think about putting a video together about getting your bike ready for that once in a lifetime Alaska trip? Things to go over and maintence that needs to be done and how to do it? Also how to do some of those roadside repairs with the basic tools. For example, how to change a tire along side the road, A hole has formed due to a crack in the engine case what to do when far away from civilization...... Also about the tools to take with you with you. Also some of the gadgets that might be nice to take along.......ie thermacell, jet boil ect.......
Thanks for all your help and advice you have given me,
Troy
2005 POLARIS SPORTSMAN 800
medic man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 05:18 AM   #48
JimVonBaden OP
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by medic man View Post
Jim,
What do you think about putting a video together about getting your bike ready for that once in a lifetime Alaska trip? Things to go over and maintence that needs to be done and how to do it? Also how to do some of those roadside repairs with the basic tools. For example, how to change a tire along side the road, A hole has formed due to a crack in the engine case what to do when far away from civilization...... Also about the tools to take with you with you. Also some of the gadgets that might be nice to take along.......ie thermacell, jet boil ect.......
Thanks for all your help and advice you have given me,
Troy
Hi Troy,

Thanks for the input. I'm sure this has been done better than I could do it.

This set looks like a good deal: http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/store/dream

Thanks,

Jim
Old 02-09-2012, 02:19 PM   #49
ghostrider1964
Edumacated Red Neck

Oddometer: 6,419
Jim, might be a good idea to make a video on installing Poolside's ICE AIR. I see their are still folks having issues with installing it

Secondly, what about a modification video to get rid of the spark plug coils...OP in GS spot was not very specific with installation.
TEXAS-ROLL THE BONES RALLY 5 10/24-10/26/2014: THE BEST IS YET TO COME!
http://www.rollthebonesrally.com/
ghostrider1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 07:05 AM   #50
JimVonBaden OP
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider1964 View Post
Jim, might be a good idea to make a video on installing Poolside's ICE AIR. I see their are still folks having issues with installing it

Secondly, what about a modification video to get rid of the spark plug coils...OP in GS spot was not very specific with installation.
I have offered on the Ice Air.

As for the mods, not sure which one you are referring to? Is it the one where the guy used standard MC coils instead of the stick coils?

Jim
Old 03-21-2012, 09:50 AM   #51
khale
ride dirty

Oddometer: 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by malloy View Post
JVB : How about these: bleeding, cleaning, maintenance and replacement of clutch slave; disconnecting the side stand safety switch; lubing drive shaft splines @ transmission end; replacing throttle cables; installing a power outlet plug; replacing the EWS ring and getting rid of those damn security screws. Pretty common, not too difficult with guidance. Love your stuff
+1 on this

Throw in changing rear main output seal, transmission seal and final drive seal. A huge and heavy job, but would save us lots of $$, as I had to have the job done myself.

Clutch replacement
Old 03-21-2012, 09:52 AM   #52
khale
ride dirty

Oddometer: 555
Jim,

Also, I don't know what your budget is on this, but I recommend stepping up the quality to 1080p. You can use a DSLR, such as a Nikon or Canon with a fixed lens. Message me or email me if you have questions. I'm a photographer that know how to do dSLR as well. If you are ever in Atlanta, GA and want me to help you with the video production, I'd be happy to help.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:21 AM   #53
malloy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 706
JIM - I can't tell you how much your DVD and various pictorials over the years have added to my motorcycle enjoyment. I've learned a ton from you about the R1200GS .

But now, I've gone over to the light grey side with an F650GS twin. This begs the question of when you will consider doing some tutorials on the F800, F650 series. A whole new challenge for you and your pretty new garage .

Regards - Malloy
Old 04-05-2012, 02:29 PM   #54
JimVonBaden OP
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by khale View Post
Jim,

Also, I don't know what your budget is on this, but I recommend stepping up the quality to 1080p. You can use a DSLR, such as a Nikon or Canon with a fixed lens. Message me or email me if you have questions. I'm a photographer that know how to do dSLR as well. If you are ever in Atlanta, GA and want me to help you with the video production, I'd be happy to help.
Thanks for the offer. I am using a Cannon G12, and was using an Olympus SLR. The quality issue comes from the DVD space limitations. If I were to go to 1080 I would have only about 1 hour space on the videos with the current format.

I am considering using a double layer DVD to increase quality on my next DVDs, but the cost is significantly higher to press them.

Thanks,

Jim
Old 04-05-2012, 02:31 PM   #55
JimVonBaden OP
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
JIM - I can't tell you how much your DVD and various pictorials over the years have added to my motorcycle enjoyment. I've learned a ton from you about the R1200GS .

But now, I've gone over to the light grey side with an F650GS twin. This begs the question of when you will consider doing some tutorials on the F800, F650 series. A whole new challenge for you and your pretty new garage .

Regards - Malloy
Thanks for the compliments. I actually do have plans for the F650/800 series. But I need to finish the K1200/1300 first. Filming is done, editing in slow process.

I am also doing another Repair DVD with some additional features, and am looking for an R1200 and an R1100/1150 to do clutch spline lube and swap.

Thanks,

Jim
Old 04-06-2012, 05:03 AM   #56
malloy
Studly Adventurer

Ambitious undertaking, the clutch spline lube. Paul Glaves (MOA) just finished a transmission change out on an 1100 in the current News. Good article with a few pictures.

Sign me up for your F Series. If I were closer, I'd gladly be a donor bike .
Old 04-07-2012, 12:16 PM   #57
JimVonBaden OP
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Ambitious undertaking, the clutch spline lube. Paul Glaves (MOA) just finished a transmission change out on an 1100 in the current News. Good article with a few pictures.

Sign me up for your F Series. If I were closer, I'd gladly be a donor bike .
It should be doable in a sub-two hour video. I am considering releasing that one in a downloadable form since the number of copies I would sell would be fairly low, and pressing is expensive.

Jim
Old 04-08-2012, 05:42 AM   #58
malloy
Studly Adventurer

I'm sure the spline lube will be well received although a limited audience as you point out. Good luck!
Old 04-23-2012, 08:19 AM   #59
JimVonBaden OP
"Cool" Aid!

Still looking for volunteers for both repair and accessoty filming. There will be incentives included as well.

Jim
Old 04-23-2012, 09:58 AM   #60
Sparrowhawk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,829
These kinds of videos and instructions are a real help. I wish I had some kind of reference like this before I tried to change the engine and hub oil on my wife's Vespa this weekend. Both the owner's manual and shop manual are worthless for routine tasks. I never would have guessed that the standard procedure for draining the oil includes removing the exhaust system and rear wheel.

The idea I have is more formatting than substance. The video format is great for giving a person an overview of the procedure before getting started. They do not work as well as a step-by-step guide. It would be helpful if the videos came with companion files, similar to your pictorials, that a person could load onto their smartphone or iPad to reference while performing the work. Having that information on a smartphone could come in real handy on a trip when roadside repairs come up and the DVD is back at home.

Nice stuff.
Sparrowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote