Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-06-2012, 05:55 PM   #8
dbuzz
Citizen of the world

Oddometer: 1,248
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtic Curmudgeon View Post
The direction of this thread brings up the point of what is ATGATT? All the gear you could conceivably wear, or all the gear you currently own? BIg difference. Are you ATGATT if you don't wear a neck brace? Molded dental guard? (Hey, you could chip a tooth or bite off your tongue!) What about protecting the junk? Ruptured or contused testes, scrotum tears, and pelvic fractures are documented in accident reports, usually from over-the-handbar type getoffs on sportbikes. So are you not really ATGATT if you're not wearing a cup? Where does it stop? Yes, I'm being a little facitious here, but we risk getting to point that ATGATT is a meaningless plattitude.

Motorcycle accident injuries would be reduced exponentially if every rider would just wear at least a 3/4 helmet, gloves, long pants and over-the-ankle boots. There's a long, long way to go just getting a majority to agree to that much, good luck making everyone ride around like Spaceman Spiff.
Good points. Perhaps exactly what is meant by ATGATT needs to be specified.

FWIW I wear
FF helmet - I only have 1,
MC gloves,
jacket - mesh or leather,
kevlar lined jeans at least or mesh / leather pants, I also have a pair of assless chaps - useful over the kevlar jeans while on the Hardley - those loud pipes get hot !
MC boots.

Years ago, back when I started riding, all I had was an OF helmet, a hand-me-down leather jacket (sans armor), regular jeans, work boots. Gawd knows how I survived Maybe it was because I knew I wasn't invincible. What I wear now is as much a reflection of my disposable income as anything else.The choices available in gear have improved considerably over the years.

All that can be done is provide the information then let the rider decide.

dbuzz screwed with this post 04-06-2012 at 06:23 PM
dbuzz is offline   Reply With Quote