Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2012, 05:55 PM   #91
dbuzz
Citizen of the world

Oddometer: 1,247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtic Curmudgeon View Post
The direction of this thread brings up the point of what is ATGATT? All the gear you could conceivably wear, or all the gear you currently own? BIg difference. Are you ATGATT if you don't wear a neck brace? Molded dental guard? (Hey, you could chip a tooth or bite off your tongue!) What about protecting the junk? Ruptured or contused testes, scrotum tears, and pelvic fractures are documented in accident reports, usually from over-the-handbar type getoffs on sportbikes. So are you not really ATGATT if you're not wearing a cup? Where does it stop? Yes, I'm being a little facitious here, but we risk getting to point that ATGATT is a meaningless plattitude.

Motorcycle accident injuries would be reduced exponentially if every rider would just wear at least a 3/4 helmet, gloves, long pants and over-the-ankle boots. There's a long, long way to go just getting a majority to agree to that much, good luck making everyone ride around like Spaceman Spiff.
Good points. Perhaps exactly what is meant by ATGATT needs to be specified.

FWIW I wear
FF helmet - I only have 1,
MC gloves,
jacket - mesh or leather,
kevlar lined jeans at least or mesh / leather pants, I also have a pair of assless chaps - useful over the kevlar jeans while on the Hardley - those loud pipes get hot !
MC boots.

Years ago, back when I started riding, all I had was an OF helmet, a hand-me-down leather jacket (sans armor), regular jeans, work boots. Gawd knows how I survived Maybe it was because I knew I wasn't invincible. What I wear now is as much a reflection of my disposable income as anything else.The choices available in gear have improved considerably over the years.

All that can be done is provide the information then let the rider decide.

dbuzz screwed with this post 04-06-2012 at 06:23 PM
dbuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 06:31 PM   #92
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 13,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommando View Post
I don't wear ATGATT. Most people in this thread who have claimed to wear ATGATT, IMO, do not. There are a few other items I would like to add to my own gear, of which I wear MOTGIHATT (most of the gear I have, all the time).
I even suit up to go hug my bike.

Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 06:45 PM   #93
sstewart
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,062
Gear

I try to wear my gear all the time,neck brace too. It's your choice to gear-up,or not. If you grind some parts off for lack of gear,we will help you find them. Gotta be tough if you're gonna be stupid.
sstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 06:48 PM   #94
lemieuxmc
Banned

Oddometer: 3,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceemack View Post
No offense, Dakez, but I think you got that one backwards. In my book, if you don't think riding a motorcycle is dangerous, then you shouldn't be riding.

Because if you're not aware of the dangers and constantly working to avoid them, you're just an organ donor who's been slightly delayed on his way to the hospital.
Riding isn't dangerous.... crashing, that's dangerous!
lemieuxmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 06:55 PM   #95
blk-betty OP
bam-a-lam

Oddometer: 2,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanantos View Post
This intrigues me as the OP mentioned it as well.

Do you really think we are lying? And what would make you think that?
I have no reason to think you or anyone else is lying but I ask the question because of situations like this scenario......It's summer time, I'm lounging around in shorts, T-shirt and flip-flops (which is my standard off-work uniform) with some friends getting ready to grill some meat and just found out I need one ot two items from the store which is literally two miles down the road and the first 3/4 mile is a residential neighborhood - speed limit 20.

I can:

a) hop on the HD as dressed and get back just as quickly as the car but riding the bike is more fun

b) kick off the flip flops, throw on some shoes, grab the helmet and take the DR

c) kick off the flip-flops, drop the shorts, put on jeans, jacket, gloves, full-face and take either bike

d) take the car

What I do and in what order.....a, d, b then c.

To me, for just running a quick errand, it's not worth the effort to change clothes and put on protective gear for a very short ride even though I KNOW the risks are pretty much the same as a long ride.

I have an option of taking a car many don't have that option. So in my scenario, your at your house with all your gear wherever you store it, kicking back with friends in shorts, t-shirt and flops...do you still don full gear for a quick store run or maybe just long pants, shoes and a helmet or do you take the car knowing its not safe to ride without all the gear?

blk-betty screwed with this post 04-06-2012 at 07:03 PM
blk-betty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 07:12 PM   #96
BTL
Summer 2 short.

Oddometer: 384
Atgatt

Personally it has worked for me...I survived a head on collision at 80Kph on a Honda 1000 Intercepter in 1984. I went completely over the top on vehicle and slammed shoulder head first onto pavement and then slid face first 80 feet and eventually flipping onto my back into a ditch just stopping short of a culvert.

I was wearing a Simpson helmet and Hondaline no armour leathers with Leather Moto cross boots. My visor was melting as I slid with the gap created filling with road grime till I came to a stop. I had a large junk of my helmet disappear in the upper left quadrant were I first hit the pavement. My leathers looked like I went through a cheese grater but remained in tact.

I was transported 20 min lights and sirens to local hospital were I was check over and was told by doctor to buy Lotto Ticket as I walked out of Hospital under own power without so much as a scratch.

Few days later the bruises did arrive and I looked like the loser of a baseball bat fight....but no worse the wear. I was on new bike next season and enrolled in a Kawasaki race school on my new bike.

I have since lived with the credo that I can always cool off at my leisure but it sucks trying to grow new skin all summer.

BTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 07:20 PM   #97
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 13,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by blk-betty View Post
I have no reason to think you or anyone else is lying but I ask the question because of situations like this scenario......It's summer time, I'm lounging around in shorts, T-shirt and flip-flops (which is my standard off-work uniform) with some friends getting ready to grill some meat and just found out I need one ot two items from the store which is literally two miles down the road and the first 3/4 mile is a residential neighborhood - speed limit 20.

I can:

a) hop on the HD as dressed and get back just as quickly as the car but riding the bike is more fun

b) kick off the flip flops, throw on some shoes, grab the helmet and take the DR

c) kick off the flip-flops, drop the shorts, put on jeans, jacket, gloves, full-face and take either bike

d) take the car

What I do and in what order.....a, d, b then c.

To me, for just running a quick errand, it's not worth the effort to change clothes and put on protective gear for a very short ride even though I KNOW the risks are pretty much the same as a long ride.

I have an option of taking a car many don't have that option. So in my scenario, your at your house with all your gear wherever you store it, kicking back with friends in shorts, t-shirt and flops...do you still don full gear for a quick store run or maybe just long pants, shoes and a helmet or do you take the car knowing its not safe to ride without all the gear?
I'd take the car. I don't ride after drinking, and I'd imagine at that point I would have at least a beer in me.
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 07:27 PM   #98
TrashCan
Scary Jerry

Oddometer: 4,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boon Booni View Post
I'd take the car. I don't ride after drinking, and I'd imagine at that point I would have at least a beer in me.

I only drive when I am to drunk to ride.

TrashCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 07:34 PM   #99
blk-betty OP
bam-a-lam

Oddometer: 2,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boon Booni View Post
Smart man and not arguing with that logic but it begs the question........, if you don't feel comfortable riding the bike because you've had "at least a beer" should you be driving the car?

This just goes to the bigger picture that started this thread....risk vs. reward and how much risk are we individually willing to to accept.

Personally I have no problem with one beer and driving and I will drink one beer and ride the bike as long as I'm also eating but no more than one. Not because I think it significantly impairs my skills but because it lowers my inhibitions and I know I will ride faster and take more chances.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:38 PM   #100
car94
What's this Box for?

Oddometer: 3,168
Wow I go Riding for the day and this pops up again!

Old 04-06-2012, 07:43 PM   #101
wmax351
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 743
I like the point that it doesn't take that much to be some improvement. Just some sort of decent well over the ankle boots (sturdy hiking boots or work boots even) make a huge difference. Also, same goes for a 3/4 helmet. Broken jaws are painful and ugly, but not too dangerous or expensive.
wmax351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 07:47 PM   #102
stubmw
some what aloof

Oddometer: 2,443
Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherguy View Post
IMHO yes it is. Riding skills and accident avoidance are far more important to me. That being said I rarely ride w/o gear. However my emphasis is on remaining upright and unscathed.
I have said here before the most important peice of safety equipment is that gray matter in your skull.
stubmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 07:59 PM   #103
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,223
I wear a helmet when I ride, 3/4 mostly, never wear shorts, and that is it for the safety gear.
If its cold out, I wear a leather jacket.
if its REAL cold out, I have a one piece cold weather suit.
I have non motorcycle boots for dirt riding, and even wear them sometimes.

I have been on the street since 17, am now 54, and got rash once, very early on, very drunk in the rain.
I am not sure how its going to turn out, but NOT riding around with all that gear for 35 years sure has been nice.

Not wearing all the gear, I do not take chances. I do not ride places where its likely to end badly, I do not push it past about 85%, I ride like no one sees me, leave an out, do not over ride my sight lines, do not tailgate (much).

I never blew a turn, had an issue with a car, and I and my bikes have not been down on the street for over 30 years.

I am sure, wearing gear, riders take more chances.
After all, what good is it unless you use it?

I use sunblock.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:08 PM   #104
TeneRay
2>4

Oddometer: 1,607
ATGATT saved me twice, both encounters were inevitable.

Second instance was a month ago when a truck pulled out right in front of me at an intersection as I was crossing at 35mph.

Managed to swerve at the last second but as I corrected, the bike highsided, throwing me off causing me to land flat on my back.

I walked away with only a sore back. Pelican cases broke the bikes fall.

I was just making a run to the store an back not even a mile away from the house.

At the time:
Icon Variant helmet
Tourmaster top, bottom, and un-armored gloves
Alpinestar Scout boots

I often get criticized for dressing like an astronaut but I know accidents can happen which we cannot avoid.
TeneRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:22 PM   #105
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,504
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceemack View Post
No offense, Dakez, but I think you got that one backwards. In my book, if you don't think riding a motorcycle is dangerous, then you shouldn't be riding.

Because if you're not aware of the dangers and constantly working to avoid them, you're just an organ donor who's been slightly delayed on his way to the hospital.
I despise and reject outright that ridiculous and often parroted donor cycle bullshit.

Is the cup half full or half empty?

I do not consider riding dangerous.

I do think it can be dangerous for new and returning riders. That is why I do what I can to increase the road craft skills of every rider I sell bikes to. I ride with them, share knowledge with them buy copies of Proficient Motorcycling and give it to them.

I want every rider to arrive safely at their intended destination each and every ride. I do what I can to make that happen.

Like it or not... Good gear helps by providing comfort.