ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - Europe, Africa, & Middle East
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.50 average. Display Modes
Old 01-28-2010, 04:02 AM   #1
stef25 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
Olaf's Morocco maps & GPS

I've got a cheapo Garmin car GPS that I use in a special pouch on my bike and works great.

Since I'm going to Morocco soon I'd like to use Olaf's maps. I've downloaded them and loaded them up in to RoadTrip (the Garmin software for Mac).

Now I'm wondering how I can get those maps to appear in my GPS? I'm not sure if there is enough space for the maps on the GPS but don't see any error messages either.

Should these maps be compatible with any GPS that can use RoadTrip and/or Mapsource?
stef25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 07:45 PM   #2
JR356
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,406
Please repost to "layin down tracks"
Thats where all the GPS info resides.

JR356
JR356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 02:13 PM   #3
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,243
Moved to the GPS forum.
Old 02-02-2010, 01:25 AM   #4
Tim Cullis
Partially heighted

Oddometer: 263
Do you want to be a bit more specific on the model details?

And have you checked the Garmin site for what is says about your model?
Old 04-02-2010, 08:19 AM   #5
Mike Philippens
Daktari

Oddometer: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by stef25
Now I'm wondering how I can get those maps to appear in my GPS? I'm not sure if there is enough space for the maps on the GPS but don't see any error messages either.
On my Garmin you can switch maps on and off in the map info display. Maybe you should check your manual on how to work with maps.
Quote:
Should these maps be compatible with any GPS that can use RoadTrip and/or Mapsource?
They're made for Garmin units, zo they should work.

Please bear in mind that as far as the navigator is concerned, the Olaf map is just an image. It doesn't know that it's a map. You could compare it to a sheet of transparent paper that you overlay on a map with extra roads drawn on it.

I used the Olaf maps with my BMW Navigator III (actually a Garmin 2820) and it's perfect. The regular maps from Garmin are useless. But you also need the traditional paper maps for Morocco. I used the Rough Guides map, which is basically as good as the Michelin, but this is 'plastic paper' so it doesn't rip or get wet. For a good preparation, visit Morocco Overland and buy the book. I did, and it's very thorough.

I just bought the Sahara Overland book too because I'm going to Dakar in 2011. Great guide!
Mike Philippens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 06:55 AM   #6
Jon_Garfio
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by stef25 View Post
I've got a cheapo Garmin car GPS that I use in a special pouch on my bike and works great.

Since I'm going to Morocco soon I'd like to use Olaf's maps. I've downloaded them and loaded them up in to RoadTrip (the Garmin software for Mac).

Stef25, I sent you a MP with the info that you requiered.
Jon_Garfio is offline   Reply With Quote