User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2012, 10:19 PM   #1
Miss Jane OP
Ride like a girl

Oddometer: 1,943
Cancer Council Ride, 2012

The aim of this ride was to raise some money for the Cancer Council, transport the "spanner" across Victoria to South Australia and have an awesome time. We achieved all three of these goals, riding for a week and covering 2000km of mostly dirt roads from Melbourne to Adelaide and return.

This leg was part of the relay that sends a spanner around the Australian continent, with the aim of raising awareness and money for cancer. Without the help of other ADV riders, this event would not happen so I am very grateful for all who made the effort to come along and have a great time.

Introducing the spanner:

We started at Bacchus Marsh, just west of Melbourne.

There were 14 starters, a few knew each other, others didn't know anyone and we all made new friends over the duration of the ride.
Mtrain, Dakar Dan, Speed Racer and KiwiTiger.

We headed up Blue Gum track and into to Lerderderg and Wombat State Forest. (My photos are a bit intermittent as I had my hands full leading the ride, so I've done my best but there will be holes in this ride report.)

Here we are at our first stop - and road closure. Not to worry, we did O'Brians Rd instead which was probably a better choice in hind sight.

Dakar Dan and Grumpy.

Lunch was in Creswick which is a lovely little town north of Ballarat. We tried to take over the main street!

Here's where I have a big hole in my photos, so please refer to this ride report by Scaredofthedirt: http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...7#post18352007

Neatly, Scaredofthedirt's report leaves us right where I started taking photos again. By this time there were 7 of us who carried on from Halls Gap to Hamilton, which was our end point for the day. We wound our way through the impressive Grampians National Park and navigated our way to the Victoria Range in the south west of the park.

There is a lookout on one of the tight bends on the Goat Track as it wends it's way west. We stopped for a look.

Here's Grumpy turning up.

Then Mtrain arrives.

We scrambled over the rock and looked out on the vista.

What a view.

We turned onto the Victoria Range Rd and wound our way up to Mt Thackeray, one of my favourite camping spots.

From here we descended again and road around the base of the Chimney Pots to Geeack Track which is always entertaining.

Then Alexmacca noticed some trouble brewing, he had 2 broken spokes. Out came the zip ties and the remaining spokes were all zip tied together for the last leg into Hamilton.

And on we rode to Hamilton where three of us carried on for the next two days to Adelaide.

Some of us stayed at my sisters place. Thanks Sis.

Next morning GagsD2 and I followed Slowpoak on an excellent route to Naracoorte. We stopped by the Glenelg River for a break.

We followed dirt roads and bush tracks with a variety of surfaces, then Slowpoak tried to clean up Gags and I - with some deep sand!!

I was stuffed from wrestling my bike and giggling too much, finally a break from the sand and a rest.

Well he didn't manage to break us with the sand, so he tried putting a tree stump on the side of the twin track which took me out............ Well that's my story.

Didn't hurt my self at all, but did twist up the front forks a bit and the engine bar on one side was rather modified so I couldn't use my rear brake. Not to worry, a few road side repairs got me moving again.

The evil culprit is on the left in this picture............see how evil he looks, butter wouldn't melt in his mouth.

Look how sad he made me:

So we were riding, riding, riding, great tracks going on for ever, but where is South Australia? We were sick of Victoria by this point, we were on a mission to take the spanner into SA, so "where the bloody hell was it"?

Oh there it is, we finally crossed the border.

We had a very late lunch in Naracoorte, where I got my engine bar bent back into shape by some very helpful fellas at: Aqua Steel Industries, 12 Hinckley Street, Naracoorte. Thanks fella's. I could now use my rear brake properly and we also had advice on good roads and a lovely campsite to head for. Thanks again fella's.

Fast limestone roads got us to the Coorong just before dusk.

Leaving the campsite next morning, we stopped to look at the lakes that make the Coorong such a special area for birds and other wildlife.

Slowpoak

More limestone roads took us all the way to the Adelaide hills, they were long, fast and undulated over farmland covered dues.

Along the way we had to cross the mighty Murray River, on a ferry.

After wandering through awesome little dirt roads that twisted up and over hills and around trees, we finally got the spanner to Adelaide.

Adelaide is an attractive city.

We had a look..................

at amazing views over the city spread out below the hills.

We called into the Cancer Council in Adelaide, and dropped off the money we had collected.

The Cancer Council had a welcoming committee ready for our arrival. This we appreciated as we'd gone to some effort, all be it fun effort.

Thanks to GagsD2 for carting the spanner 1000km.

Our duty done, we made tracks for Phil Fong's place, he put us up for the night, fed us beer and as usual, is a great host. Thanks mate.

The lovely Mr Fong.

Time to go, Gags and Slowpoak left the next morning, I'd had so much fun riding with these two great blokes and would happily do it all again.

"So which way Slow?" "Ummmm, I dunno Gags"

Meanwhile, I stayed in Adelaide for a day and visited the Birdwood Motor Museum, then turned around and headed back east also. Had a great day riding through the Adelaide hills, across the plains to Murray Bridge and Pinaroo. From there I hopped onto the Murrayville Nhill Track and camped at Big Billy Bore for the night. Because I rode dirt and took the back roads, I managed to miss all the crazy Easter traffic and saw very few people all day.

Big Billy Bore.

My camp.

Went for a little walk in the morning, I love this area.

White eared honeyeater.

Many thanks to all who have donated to the Cancer Council.

A big thank you to Triplehoe for providing the BBQ on Saturday night, with his families efforts we had cash to hand to the Cancer council in Adelaide. Good work Triplehoe.

Here is a link to the spanner's journey around Australia:

http://motorcyclingagainstcancer.org...x/Welcome.html

Miss Jane screwed with this post 04-07-2012 at 01:11 AM
Miss Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 04:45 AM   #2
GagsD2
...Are we there yet?

Oddometer: 1,326
Thumb

Top RR Jane and I enjoyed every minute of the ride.

To think this media provides the opportunity for strangers to meet with a common passion for bikes/camping/touring and a cause. While I thoroughly enjoyed the whole ride, the spontaneously arranged and mapped out extension ride was truly the highlight.

Great friends, great roads and quite literally, a 30 second decision made on the route to take from Naracoorte to Adelaide.

Thanks Jane and Mick.
Old 04-07-2012, 04:59 AM   #3
alexmacca30
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by GagsD2 View Post

To think this media provides the opportunity for strangers to meet with a common passion for bikes/camping/touring and a cause. While I thoroughly enjoyed the whole ride, the spontaneously arranged and mapped out extension ride was truly the highlight.

Great friends, great roads and quite literally, a 30 second decision made on the route to take from Naracoorte to Adelaide.

Thanks Jane and Mick.
What he said....
Old 04-07-2012, 04:24 PM   #4
The Cougar
Barry Dawson's Twin

Oddometer: 421
Great RR

Great RR Jane. Well done to you all.
The Cougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 05:56 PM   #5
Miss Jane OP
Ride like a girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by GagsD2 View Post

Thanks Jane and Mick.
Have to agree with you Gags, it was a great ride with plenty of variety in road surface and terrain. Fun, fun, fun the whole way.

We should have just kept on riding west eh.
Old 04-07-2012, 07:55 PM   #6
huskygirl
HuskyGirl

Oddometer: 174
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Jane View Post
Have to agree with you Gags, it was a great ride with plenty of variety in road surface and terrain. Fun, fun, fun the whole way.

We should have just kept on riding west eh.
Thank you to everyone who was part of this leg and off course Miss Jane and Gags for making it happen and Triplehoe for being Host with the Most at Mt Cole. Apologises for pulling out even for the short bit I was doing, but my right thumb and wrist obviously shouldn't have been on the bike, funny the Doc said the same thing :loll

Miss Jane; great ride report as always.

Adventcha and I need to pull our fingers out and get on with the Tassie Ride report!!!!!

Draft footage completed, so will try and get it up over next couple days

Well done on the fund raising, and I think next year we could make it a pretty big year. Hmmm, take two weeks off ride from Canberra to Adelaide with a loop of Tassie; the long way which equates based on everyone's totals to about 8,000kms of mainly Dirt!!!!

Now to get the rest of Aussie finished for this year ;-)
huskygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 08:19 PM   #7
Miss Jane OP
Ride like a girl

Check out this link: http://www.madecasse.com/

I got some in Creswick on day one of the ride, truly awesome, awesome, awesome.