Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2012, 09:13 AM   #16
Xeraux
Archvillain

Oddometer: 30,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riteris View Post
I never bothered with waterproof summer gloves because if it is hot out, I don't care if my hands get wet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtDuster View Post
Same here.

If it's so hot that I need "summer" gloves in the first time, it's not some wet hands that will stop me from riding.

Cold weather gloves is another story though.
I've kind of adopted this approach, too.

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.
Xeraux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:22 AM   #17
moggi1964 OP
Tiger Keeper

Oddometer: 614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeraux View Post
I've kind of adopted this approach, too.
Cheapest option for sure :)

I guess I'll give it a go and see what I think. I just remember I used to hate squidgy gloves

Triumph Explorer
moggi1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:27 AM   #18
Xeraux
Archvillain

Oddometer: 30,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by moggi1964 View Post
Cheapest option for sure :)

I guess I'll give it a go and see what I think. I just remember I used to hate squidgy gloves
Yeah. Me too.

But... I've only run across one pair of "motorcycle" gloves that have been truly waterproof.

I've had everything. A'stars, Held, BMW Summer, BMW ProRain, Olympia, Gerbings (which actually aren't waterproof at all. They don't tape the seams of the "waterproof" liner)... All have leaked, have leaked at inconvenient times, and all have gone back to the manufacturers.

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.
Xeraux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 01:12 PM   #19
Stinja
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
They exist. When I buy waterproof gloves I do the bucket test: my Rukka ones I wore submerged to the cuff to a full five minutes and not a drop got thru...
Stinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 01:29 AM   #20
scubasimon
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
I used the BMW Summer gloves for an entire week of riding in the humid, hot and wet climate here in Malaysia and my hands were completely dry all the time. No leaks. No lining issues. No smells. I really like them. It was a tad warm in the hottest afternoons (35+C temperatures and direct sun) but still OK for me.
scubasimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 07:05 AM   #21
MIghty
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Hey, I also live in nj and know how the weather is. I just use a light weight mx glove when it rains then switch to my regular riding ones when its dry. I always keep them with me incase it rains.
MIghty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 08:41 AM   #22
Riteris
Dessert Runner

Oddometer: 2,866
If by "squidy" you mean wet gloves, just turn on your glove dryers and they will warm up your hands as well as dry the gloves.

I am taking the advice of all those people that told me, "Hey kid, why don't you go play in traffic!"
Riteris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 09:46 AM   #23
mrphotoman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,050
Unless it is freezing out, I never gave waterproof gloves a second thought. I do not see how getting your hands wet in hot weather would be a problem, it may even be a good thing since it would cool you off a little and the gloves will dry quickly when the sun comes back out. I just do not see a need for waterproof warm weather gloves.

You can always get the spray waterproofing at a camping store and spray your summer gloves, that will help some but the gloves will be vented.
mrphotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 01:52 PM   #24
Sparrowhawk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,031
Anything waterproof will be too hot in hot weather. Just find the summer gloves you like and then ride over to your local safety supply store and pick up a pair of these for a few bucks that fit over your summer gloves. Keep them in your pocket or tank bag for rain.

Sparrowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 06:12 PM   #25
moggi1964 OP
Tiger Keeper

Oddometer: 614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrowhawk View Post
Anything waterproof will be too hot in hot weather. Just find the summer gloves you like and then ride over to your local safety supply store and pick up a pair of these for a few bucks that fit over your summer gloves. Keep them in your pocket or tank bag for rain.

I hope they come in Triumph Explorer Sapphire Blue or I'll just do without ;)

Triumph Explorer
moggi1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 06:44 PM   #26
scubasimon
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
Wet gloves smell terrible in humid heat which is why waterproof ones made a difference for me. The Summer Pro from BMW stayed dry without odour in an entire week of riding and was fantastic for me at least. Others may feel different.
scubasimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 12:16 AM   #27
tsperez
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
I use the Held Air glove (no longer made but it's a summer glove) for all hot weather riding. And yeah they get pretty soggy when wet but if it's my area and true summer the temps are always around 100 F - give or take about 10 degrees. Once it stops raining they dry off fast.

But once I was riding in the 60's when it started raining. It rained for hours and the temperature got to the low 50's. I had good rain gear but after about 5 hours of this weather I was very cold. I figured it had to be the gloves because I was totally dry except for the hands. I purchased a set of BMW Allround 2 gloves. They are a mid weight glove that is totally waterproof. My test was riding the rest of that day and the following day with continuous rain and my hands were totally dry. What a difference! Not sure I would use them in the summer unless it is some thunderstorm. I do carry them on all trips.

tsp
Blog: www.swriding.blogspot.com
tsperez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 12:06 PM   #28
J-Dub24
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Check out the Tour Master Dri-Mesh glove. Mesh glove with a waterproof/breathable membrane inside, nice leather palm, not too bulky, not too expensive.
J-Dub24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 01:34 PM   #29
dhawker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
I am currently using a pair of FirstGear Master gloves. Lightweight, non insulated, water proof and very comfortable. I use them in the summer when I want rain protection but not warmth (they are warm already because they block the air). I have heated grips which work well with these gloves and not so well with thick insulated gloves. I use them when I am dual sport riding as well instead of motocross gloves.

Another pair I have been looking at that have the same features are the KLIM Powerxross gloves. Goretex and not insulated. Haven't tried them myself yet but I am sure someone has.

Dalan
dhawker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 04:05 PM   #30
6USMC6
R.I.P. Party Boss

Oddometer: 4,555
I bought a pair of Held Rain Stars last summer. So far, they have proven to be waterproof and comfortable unless the air temperature is over 90F

"For those who fight for it life has a flavor the protected never know."
USMC 65-68 RVN 66-67
6USMC6 is offline   Reply With Quote