Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2012, 02:02 PM   #27961
Krazyjohnny
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 424
We are trying to find one of these bikes to ride before we buy one. This will be for my wife. Her previous bike was an 04' TTR 250 that had a pipe and a JD Jetting kit in it. We live in McKinney, TX (North of Dallas). I ride a 08' KTM 530 EXCR and she said that was a bit much for her.

Any help is appreciated.
08' 530 EXCR, 09' Yamaha FZ-6 and dreaming of a new bike
Krazyjohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 03:47 PM   #27962
madisonreid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,699
Cycra Pro Bbend

Cycra Pro Bend.....Anyone have feedback on install with center mounting kit for a 1 1/8" bar ?
madisonreid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 03:55 PM   #27963
jglow
Two wheeled traveler

Oddometer: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazyjohnny View Post
We are trying to find one of these bikes to ride before we buy one. This will be for my wife. Her previous bike was an 04' TTR 250 that had a pipe and a JD Jetting kit in it. We live in McKinney, TX (North of Dallas). I ride a 08' KTM 530 EXCR and she said that was a bit much for her.

Any help is appreciated.

I am just East of Mckinney, off of Hwy 380. I have an 08' that y'all are more than welcome to come ride. Shoot me a pm.

Jordan
jglow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 06:22 PM   #27964
Krazyjohnny
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 424
WR250Ride

Thanks jglow. PM'd
08' 530 EXCR, 09' Yamaha FZ-6 and dreaming of a new bike
Krazyjohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 07:08 PM   #27965
Honkey Cat
Tailights Fade!

Oddometer: 1,061
X

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSize View Post
Anyone know how much 250X moto wheels are selling for (tires only have 600miles)? I have an X I might sell or get the off-road wheels from Warp9 here in Salt Lake. It seems the R models sell much better.

James
About $700
Honkey Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 07:25 PM   #27966
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
So, I would focus my interest on the positive terminal and positive cable. At some point, it is contacting ground (frame tube, bolt head, something). If the fuse is blowing instantly and violently, the connection to ground must be a significant one and should be noticeable.
All good info. I'll add that blowing a 30 amp fuse will most likely cause a noticeable spark/arc. Take a new fuse, and get the bike into a very low light area. Have somebody else with you for another set of eyes, and jam that new fuse in there. You should see a flash of light before the fuse blows directing you to the short.
Mikef5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 07:39 PM   #27967
jimrobinette
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordicai View Post
Motoworld Sports in El Cahoun CA is advertising the WR250R as a 85MPG motorcycle. When I e-mailed them that that was inaccurate and deceptive they e-mailed me back to go f myself. Might what to avoid these guys if you looking for a bike in the San Diego area, or you might wind up buying ocean front property in Nevada.
I bought my '08 WRR from them. Never really even looked at the mileage thing before I bought. Essentially, I got mine for almost cost. Crawdaddy got a bout a $100 better deal than I did. Never had a problem with them, and I've bought three new bikes/quads from them.
jimrobinette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 07:41 PM   #27968
jimrobinette
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilW View Post
The hash marks on the axle adjusters are only for reference - they don't guarantee alignment. Get a chain alignment tool for around $20 bucks and use it. Remove the 2 bolts holding the chain guard to attach the tool. You still only make a visual reference, but sighting the length of the chain is better than nothing and better than trusting hash marks that may not be calibrated.
Harbor Freight has them for under $5.
jimrobinette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 09:07 PM   #27969
bhd1223
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimrobinette View Post
I bought my '08 WRR from them. Never really even looked at the mileage thing before I bought. Essentially, I got mine for almost cost. Crawdaddy got a bout a $100 better deal than I did. Never had a problem with them, and I've bought three new bikes/quads from them.
Understandable. I believe the poster of that comment was referring to their blatant false advertisement. This could lure some folks to purchase something they may not otherwise. In my opinion people should really research before they buy and as such won't be prey to such tactics. On the same note I prefer to restrict my business to companies I deem honest and not deceptive. If I were to experience the same thing as the poster I would likely put it out for people to see and try to get folks to spend their money elsewhere. I have no idea the exact circumstances of the interaction so I can't comment on what happened but I know if I politely informed them they were advertising false information and they responded in such a manner then they deserve to go out of business instead of some of the local shops to me that have gone out of business because they just couldn't move enough inventory when they were great people who were honest and helpful. Oh, sorry for that massively run on sentence. Haha.
Keeping the Vulcan for now. The ladies seem to love it.
bhd1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 05:16 AM   #27970
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,779

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimrobinette View Post
Harbor Freight has them for under $5.
Nothing like this chain alignment tool comes up in the HF search using the word "chain". Please post a link.

Thank you.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:50 AM   #27971
Yaozer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 183
Meef,

Thanks for your help. I replaced the cable and all seems to be well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
Electrical gremlins are hard to diagnose through photos or a description.

Understanding what causes the fuse to blow may help you track down the fault. If the positive cable contacts ground, that completes a circuit, and the fuse blows to protect the wiring and electrical gizmo attached to it. If the fuse blows once, maybe, maybe, you had a bad fuse; but if it blows multiple times, you have a fault in the wiring. Resist the temptation to install a higher amperage fuse, as some might tell you to do. You're gonna have to take some time and track down the culprit.

First step, have you removed all of the add on Eastern Beaver wiring and any accessory wiring (battery tender, cigarette lighter, GPS, etc.)? Not just disconnected, but removed?

This should leave nothing but the factory wiring.

If the main fuse is blowing instantly when you insert it, with the ignition off, you have a fault in the battery circuit, not the ignition circuit.

The negative terminal of the battery and the negative battery cable should have nothing to do with this situation, unless you have somehow bridged the negative cable and the positive one. I doubt that you did that.

So, I would focus my interest on the positive terminal and positive cable. At some point, it is contacting ground (frame tube, bolt head, something). If the fuse is blowing instantly and violently, the connection to ground must be a significant one and should be readily identifiable.

If you are certain the battery is good, then:

Check the battery positive terminal to make sure it is not somehow contacting a meatal ground part. Is the battery installed properly? Did you flip/flop negative and positive orientation?

Pull the fuse, and follow the positive cable starting from the battery. Check every spot the cable could be rubbed raw and be contacting a metal part that goes to ground. At the relay that is actually the center of your picture, make sure all connections are tight and there is nothing that connects the wiring or connections right to ground. Continue to follow the positive cable to the starter and check for the same.

If that fails, well, I can't diagnose the problem remotely.... good luck.
Yaozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 09:55 AM   #27972
GotMojo?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,107
Flatland Racing Skidplate vs Moose Skidplate

My Moose skid plate showed up today. Here's a shot comparing it to the Flatland Racing skid plate. It seems like a nice piece.... although I'm not sure why it costs so much.... $65-70 more than the Flatland Racing.

The plastic is pretty thick, but it still flexes, especially where it wraps around the engine, and I wonder if a big enough hit could bend it enough do some damage. Where it covers the water pump, the fit is very close... probably a few cm's, and that part is flexible so I wonder about that spot the most. The Flatland obviously is not going to bend as easily.

I wasn't too concerned about weight, but it is a bit lighter than the Flatland.... 1.83 lbs to 3.50 lbs. That weight is all down low so I doubt its noticeable. One other thing I noticed... the drain plug hole is quite a bit smaller on the Moose.

I will probably stick with the Flatland Racing on my R and put the Moose on my X since its black. Some pics of it on the bike in a few minutes...
GotMojo? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 09:58 AM   #27973
GotMojo?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,107

GotMojo? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:13 AM   #27974
Gundy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 816
Need help

Sorry this is a double post:

Before I give in and take it to a dealer, figured I would try to tap everyones wisdom here. Its an '09 with Power commander V, full FMF exhaust, opened up airbox, DRD speedo healer, Edge tailight, Zeta integrated handguards,and AIS has been removed. I did have to replace the rear brake switch relay recently. Bottom line is the bike has lots of aftermarket wiring.

The symptoms are:
-Sometimes the starter just buzzes and won't turnover (just like a dead battery). if I just flip the key off and then on again, it starts as usual. I hear the fuel pump priming each time. Battery voltage checked at 12.7, right on the border of needing to be charged according to the shop manual.
-Once the bike is warmed up, it acts like its not getting enough fuel at mid/ hi rpms and sputters/coughs/surges/cuts out, but it idles and starts just fine. it runs pretty well until it warms up all the way. It happened twice in a row and I had to limp home both times. With EFI, I am thinking a bad electrical connection could cause this. My most recent fill-ups were at busy suburban gas stations where I fill up all my other vehicles, so I don't think its bad fuel. I have ridden the bike fairly long distances recently and had no issues.
-it randomly shut off idling in the parking lot last night, and the instrument panel went blank, but restarted no problem.
-seems to be running richer than usual, but maybe I am just paying more attention to how the exhaust smells.

I don't think its the fuel pump because it was only a few '08s that had that problem, and a major symptom of that is it won't hot start. Mine has no problem starting hot or cold (unless it does the dead battery buzz thing) and I hear the pump priming each time I turn the key.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 04-09-2012, 10:16 AM   #27975
Scott_PDX
Leisure Engineer

Oddometer: 2,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotMojo? View Post

The plastic is pretty thick, but it still flexes, especially where it wraps around the engine, and I wonder if a big enough hit could bend it enough do some damage. Where it covers the water pump, the fit is very close... probably a few cm's, and that part is flexible so I wonder about that spot the most. The Flatland obviously is not going to bend as easily.
Seems like a trend, but something just doesn't seem right about a plastic skid plate. I feel much better knowing there's metal between me and the rocks, vs. some engineered piece plastic. Is it a weight thing? It certainly isn't price.

My MotovLog (Youtube Videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/scottb572/videos

Where Am I via SPOT (Code SCT): http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719703
Scott_PDX is offline   Reply With Quote