Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2012, 03:21 PM   #46
Just_Sean
herewegoagain

Oddometer: 14,504
Quote:
Originally Posted by trc.rhubarb View Post
You can do 1500 miles in 2 days easy...
Just ride it hard for a couple days, then it has over 7500 miles and the problem is solved.
DMV already has the mileage since he has been there
Just_Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 03:25 PM   #47
trc.rhubarb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Sean View Post
DMV already has the mileage since he has been there
Likely that going to a different DMV would result in nobody checking. Besides, how can they dispute it if the bike is sitting there with 7500+ miles? Don't live in fear, learn how to work the system to your advantage...
1975 BMW R90/6
Follow me here
trc.rhubarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 04:14 PM   #48
Rudley
el mojo fuerte

Oddometer: 235
TRy This

all the best,

Rudley
Old 04-08-2012, 04:25 PM   #49
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoke View Post
I went out and looked at my '09, this should be easy peasy for you. Find someone close and borrow their side panel for a day. If you can't find someone near, we can work a deal where I will send you mine, you promise to return it in front of all the eyes of the asylum, and you should be golden. pm me if you need help.

OP: Did you miss this offer? Take Spoke up on it.. or someone closer to you. Borrow the side cover.. and your nightmare is over, then return it.
Old 04-08-2012, 04:26 PM   #50
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,729
Back in 2004 when I bought my 1150 adventure out of state, it took me 5 months to get the thing registered here in the R.O.C.

I had all the paperwork. Notarized title, receipt, mileage confirmation form. Blue form yellow form, yadda-yadda-yadda...
Oh, and all the stickers in place.

And I'd registered the bike in Kansas when I bought it, they issued me a temporary plate. That took all of 15 minutes including the banter with the nice ladies there.

I got to the DMV the first time with an appointment and paperwork in hand. They of course take the title, because it is from Kansas and not from California.

I get the title back before I ever got the bike registered. The paper plate I got from Kansas was good for two months, the lady at the Kansas DMV had guess it might take some time for the state to send the title to me.
She was right. Kansas sent the title to BMW NA, since they had held the loan from the original owner. I'd paid that off. Kansas had a copy of the paper stating that, and a form. We had worked this paperwork in advance of my fly-buy flight...
So much for preparing.

Then BMWNA sends the title to the original owner, who over-nights it to me...

So, armed with a title in my name, all the rest of the stuff I go to the crap and paper, For my first run at a California plate.
No dice. I need another piece of paper I forget what for; I'd read all their requirements prior to even looking at ads for bikes out of state since moving into the state with two cars was such a pain in the ass. Both of which cost me $400 each a piece for some CARB bullshit that four years later I get a $700 refund check for.
With those one was an Audi and the crack DMV wanted to not issue me plates because it didn't have a sign on the front of the car saying "Audi"??

...meanwhile back a the bike I keep getting temp plates form the state of California who at the third pass tell me they can't issue any more temps to me unless I register the bike.
I told the nice lady that was exactly what I had been attempting to do for the last five months.

I must have said the magic word because two more stamps umpteen staples later I was outside waiting on the CHP guy in a jumpsuit to read the stickers under my seat.

Yeah his mouth moved...

He also asked me if I needed a green sticker for my "dirtbike"...

Where do these people live? I mean are these the people who watch reality TV, and buy shit off the home shopping networks?

About a half hour later I had a real plate bolted to the back of my bike. And it only took 5 months, and four trips to the DMV.

This is why I haven't bought another motorcycle since then. I'll ride this thing to dust, and maybe by then I can afford to retire to some backwater state where the people at the DMV can read.

Get a friends panel. Get the plate, nobody will ever bother with looking for it again.

...of course when you go to sell it.... buyer beware.
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 07:31 PM   #51
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,411
only a single page thread......doesn't anyone read from the beginning anymore?
Old 04-08-2012, 07:58 PM   #52
Poolside
Syndicated

Oddometer: 11,763
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhafe123 View Post

I have the bottom, I guess third or so still on the bike and was thinking maybe if I could show them what a whole one looks like they could look at the piece on mine and conclude that the whole sticker was there at one time. I'm grasping here obviously.......
This is what I have: http://www.pbase.com/rhafe/image/142549165
That's it right there. Luckily you have the portion of the sticker that contains the sticker's unique Part Number. (prefix of xx xx) 7 703 967. The xx xx is the group number, and might be 71 21.

Try local at Irv Seaver BMW in Orange, or Long Beach BMW.

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Poolside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 10:44 PM   #53
streetracer
oldtimer

Oddometer: 4
I can put 2000 miles on it in two days if you're not up to it yourself then problem solved. Done it a couple of times, on a R1 (ouch).
Old 04-08-2012, 11:38 PM   #54
lacofdfireman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 720
I went through all this about 2 years ago with CA DMV. Most stupid people in the world over there. So glad I moved outa CA I can't even explain it. I bought an 08 and the sticker had been torn off. Bike only had 3k miles on it and I tried everything I thought humanly possible including ordering a new one from BMW in Germany. When I got the sticker it was the wrong one. Ended up having to sell the bike. New owner went to a private person that was a DMV field inspector of some sort and they just signed it off. The whole process is a damn shame. I went in with paperwork showing that all BMW's are 50 stale legal emissions and the whole bit but they didn't really care. If you want to make it real easy come register it in Utah. You will walk into DMV (no lines) pay less taxes and have a plate in less than 10 minutes. I will even let you use my address as your residence. Either that or you need to get out and ride the thing and get over the mileage limit... Good luck and glad I am not in your shoes right now. Been there, done that. Left the State. Still work n Cali though. I like my 360 mile commute to work...
lacofdfireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 03:44 AM   #55
Just_Sean
herewegoagain

Oddometer: 14,504
Quote:
Likely that going to a different DMV would result in nobody checking. Besides, how can they dispute it if the bike is sitting there with 7500+ miles? Don't live in fear, learn how to work the system to your advantage...
they input everything into the system before sending someone out for the vin verification. And the mileage is generally recorded on the pink slip

The way to"work the system to your advantage"would be to go to CHP first for the vin verification, then go to DMV to complete the registration.
Just_Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 03:46 AM   #56
Spoke
semi-feral teen

Oddometer: 780
My '09 label does specify 2009 MY. And maybe the '09 panel is different then yours, but as was stated earlier, go to regional forum find someone with the same year bike and ask to borrow their panel. Done! Registered! Ride! I'm starting to hate this thread! Stop whining!

It entered my blood in 1970 on a Honda QA50
Spoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 05:59 AM   #57
marty hill
The Energizer Bunny

Oddometer: 4,158
Quote:
A voice of reason. Isn't it amazing how folks get frozen by fear? There is alway a way. ALWAYS!

Semper Paratus
marty hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 06:02 AM   #58
rhafe123 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Thanks for the replies, everyone.

I've got lots of ideas to work with now. I will try to get it sorted this week and if I fail I'll put it up for sale.
rhafe123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 06:08 AM   #59
CaseyJones
Ridin' that train

Oddometer: 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhafe123 View Post
The problem is my name is already on the New York title as the buyer and I've signed it and put my address.
If the seller is cooperative, he can get the title re-issued and then you can do what you need to - register it with a non-CA address, or sell it to another buyer, or whatever.

Paperwork screwups are a nightmare; but in most states theres a voice of reason somewhere deep in the System. But California? I gave up on that madhouse years ago.
CaseyJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 07:36 AM   #60
hyena
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 699
Yet another reason I'm glad I don't live in California.

On the other hand, I live in Illinois. Here you just buy your way out of problems with State agencies.