Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2012, 03:08 PM   #31
AlpineGuerrilla
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 368
Would love to see how your trip continued. And of course eagerly awaiting the revelation, where the teaser pic with the gravel road along the coast was shot at.
AlpineGuerrilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 02:22 AM   #32
asilindean OP
Adrian

Oddometer: 132
hi again,

thanks for the nice replies. there were some busy days at the office and with the preparation for this year trip I have very little time left on my hands.

Promise I will finish the report before I leave. Thanks for patience.
Dicky: see you son :)
AlpineGuerrilla: you had also a great trip . The answer to your question is in day 6 :)

Adrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickyb View Post
And.........................................then what happened?

Cheers,

Dickyb
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineGuerrilla View Post
Would love to see how your trip continued. And of course eagerly awaiting the revelation, where the teaser pic with the gravel road along the coast was shot at.
asilindean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 03:35 PM   #33
zandesiro
In rust we trust....

Oddometer: 789
zandesiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 08:23 PM   #34
Lunatic
Dan Keyhoety

Oddometer: 609
I'll be leaving Vienna May 25th to Dougs Moto Camp and was wondering how much time I should allow to get there ?

Cheers , Dan

Don't be afraid your life will end, be afraid that it will never start.

Arrogance is the anesthesia that dulls the pain of stupidity
Lunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 04:10 AM   #35
asilindean OP
Adrian

Hi,

That depends on which route you take :) , but I would say that you need 2 days to get there.

Vienna - Budapest - Timisoara - 500 km - 6 hours (take the border crossing from Mako - Cenad its shorter)
Timisoara - Bucharest - 550 km - 8-9 hours
Bucharest - Ildievo - 230 km - 3 hours

Do not know the exact distances or riding conditions if you choose the Serbian route.

Best and safe rides,
Adrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatic View Post
I'll be leaving Vienna May 25th to Dougs Moto Camp and was wondering how much time I should allow to get there ?

Cheers , Dan
Old 03-29-2012, 08:59 AM   #36
Lunatic
Dan Keyhoety

Oddometer: 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by asilindean View Post
Hi,

That depends on which route you take :) , but I would say that you need 2 days to get there.

Vienna - Budapest - Timisoara - 500 km - 6 hours (take the border crossing from Mako - Cenad its shorter)
Timisoara - Bucharest - 550 km - 8-9 hours
Bucharest - Ildievo - 230 km - 3 hours

Do not know the exact distances or riding conditions if you choose the Serbian route.

Best and safe rides,
Adrian
Thanks Adrian !!

I appreciate the feedback !!!

Cheers , Dan

Don't be afraid your life will end, be afraid that it will never start.

Arrogance is the anesthesia that dulls the pain of stupidity
Lunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 02:43 AM   #37
asilindean OP
Adrian

Day 5 - Sevastopol - Balaclava - Yalta – Sudak 260 km

Getting out of Sevastopol in the morning was an easy job and in no time we were on the road to Balaklava. There was the one piece of recent history which I wanted to see: the former soviet base for atomic submarines and Naval Museum from Blalaklava.

Once you get there you enter the huge nuclear-blast-proof doors and walk some part of the 600m long repair docks, rooms, depots and the now empty arsenal. The submarine base is located inside the rock on the western shore of the bay and has access from the sea on both sides. The base has been designed to resist a direct hit of an atomic bomb up to 100 Kt, and it in case of war it could accommodate up to three thousand people. The base was built also to accommodate 8 small class atomic subs or 6 medium class. The place was abandoned in 1994 when last soviet submarine left the base. A few years ago it was bring back to life and transformed in a museum.

On the other side of the bay, opposite to the submarine base there is the Genoese Fortress of Cembalo. The settlement is about 2500 years old and is even mentioned in Homer's Odyssey as a pirate's bay. It looked good from the distance, but we decide not to climb up there in full riding gear, even if the view could be promising.
Back on the bike we went to discover the wonders of Crimea. The road surprisingly good and was almost deserted in this area, since we have not entered yet the tourism busy places near Yalta.
First stop was on Cape Sarych which is a wild beach (less sand and more rocks) on the sea side. Very nice place if you want camp. One of the boys charging some fee for entrance (we did not paid since we were not staying) told us that one of the houses we could see in the back, the one with red roof, belongs or belonged to Gorbachiov.

The next place on the road which we wanted to see was Vorontsov Palace. It is a hard place to get since the tourism resort where it is has many busy, narrow one way streets. We did not see it. We made a stop a few km further down the road in a parking place to take a look at the Swallows' Nest
a symbol of Southern Crimea found on every postcard. The palace was built in 1912 for a oil magnate. In present days I understood that Swallow's Nest is a restaurant. Made some pics from distance and off we go.

Next we turned left and ride up a narrow road to Mountain Ai Petri. It's a 23 km up twisty narrow most excellent road and another 23 km down Very cool road! Of course for those who don’t like to drive in such wonderful conditions they can climb out of Yalta on the funicular railway, but it's no fun.

Up the mountain you will find the usual touristic kitsch, plus restaurants, and a bit overcrowded but views are absolutely magnificent.

Destination of the day was Sudak. I order to get there one must pass Yalta which is probably the most famous and expensive city of the southern Crimea, famous people like to have a rest there. The roads around Yalta are very, very crowded. On the other hand once you got past the crossroad with the highway from Simferopol, the road quiets down, the traffic is more relaxed and you can again enjoy their view of the sea on the right and the mountains and hills on the left. So, the last 80 km to Sudak were an excellent ride!

In Sudak we found manage to find accommodation in the end at Sudak Youth hostel, since our initial hostel (
Moving Bubble Hostel) was closed down and they did not bother to announce us (even if we had reservations). So after a few calls we manage to get to the next one.
The price was 400 Grv a night and a courtyard where we can safely park the bikes.

After dinner we took a walk on the beach and manage to find Sudak Biker Pub which is an excellent place (with an English speaking waitress). We did not try it, but according to other reports you can spend the night there on the benches. There was live music with a cover band and on the screen one can see Easy Rider. All this assorted with beer and a little vodka (which will come with a price, but that's for later on). Around midnight we took a cab and went to sleep (we were too lazy to walk to the hostel).
The Biker Pub is around here 44.841306, 34.964753.

asilindean screwed with this post 04-06-2012 at 08:13 AM
Old 04-06-2012, 03:19 AM   #38
potski
Wiley Wanderer

Oddometer: 455
Hi Guys,

Looks like an amazing trip with some great photos. That submarine base looks sureal, like something out of a Bond film.

Keep it coming.

Cheers
Potski

"Don't wait for your ship to come in, swim out and meet the bloody thing" Barry Sheen
potski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:10 AM   #39
asilindean OP
Adrian

Day 6 - Sudak - Feodosia - Kerch – 190 km

We woke up around 9, had breakfast and get ready for a new day on the road.
I Sudak is located the Genoese Fortress. Because it is very well preserved, Sudak fortress apparently is often used as a background in historical, adventure and fantasy films. Also a 7 km from Sudak there is the famous beach at Novy Svit Beach. Did not managed to see it.
Indeed the Sudak fortress looks very impressive, and after breakfast we took the bike there and made an impromptu photo shooting of the bike with the fort as background but did not went up. On our way there we passed a police check point (it is going to be relevant).

After taking pictures at Sudak fortress we were returning when one of the policemen at the check point made us a sign to stop. I did. Previous to the trip I received some advice as how to manage such encounters. So, I get of the bike, take my helmet off and with a big smile went to the officer extended my hand and greeted him while stating my name. He was surprised, but recovered fast and asked for documents. No problem officer. He looks at them and then asked me in bad English: Adrian, did you drink? Who, me? Can't you see I'm riding? I answered. Yes, yes, did you drink last night? Yes, a couple of beers. He then took me to the car, where his colleague was waiting. Same questions again. Same answers. He the proceeds to open an anti alcohol test kit. He asks if I'm ok with that, and blissful me says yes. It was the same kit they use to have in Romania many years ago, basically you had to bow in a vial until a plastic bag attached to it was full.I blow. The vial turns a little green. Not good. Adrian, big problem says the second officer. Then start rambling in Russian and English about how he must fill a report, take the bike, put me behind bars and so on. Ok, this is not good. One thing I know is that if you have the slightest chance of being in trouble: do not let them write anything on the record. In my poor Russian and gesturing large I explain that there is no need for a report and that we are actually friends. Maybe there is a way to settle things here and now. An emergency fee.

Digression: last night I had 2 or 3 beers and 2 glasses of vodka. We went to bed around midnight. After I slept for 8 hours and had a good breakfast. But during the night I did not drink any water since I did not like the taste of the one from the tap, and forgot to buy bottled. Even if it was almost 11.30 by now in my mind I thought that maybe, only maybe there was still a chance that some rest of alcohol might be still in my blood. At home, I would have made a huge scandal and demanded analysis of the blood sample at hospital. Here I did not know the language, did not have the time, and maybe I was in default. And in this case if I start arguing with them, and do all the above, and with a chance that analysis of the blood sample at hospital can show residues of alcohol, I did not take my chance.

A snapshot made by Oana, I'm inside the police car

Ok, name your price. He writes down on a notebook: 500 USD. I started laughing, namely for two reasons: one he has a price and this means that from now on we are negotiating, and two the price was so ridiculously high from my point of view that he clearly expects to bargain. Having my lesson learned, I do not have my money in my wallet and I show him something around 100 grivnas. Not good enough. In the end, after explaining to him that these are not my money, but my girlfriend's emergency money, we settle for 50 USD. From my point of view, it was a fair price if I was in default. I would have paid the same amount home in a similar situation. Of course is possible that it was a set up and it was my turn to fall for the trap. But maybe there was a possibility that there was still some alcohol in my blood. One thing bothers me still: after giving him the money (the show was over), he looks at me very serious, shows me his wristwatch and explains me that now I must go to the hotel and sleep for another 4 hours before I drive on. I asked him if he is aware of any other police check point on the road and he says no. Off we go. I took the chance and did not go to sleep but carry on riding, but only after stopping to get cola and a lot of water.

Anybody similar experiences?

Right after Sudak one can found Cape Meganom (44.793357, 35.080161). It is said to have great views. We were not in the mood for it, plus we must leave something to see for next time.
One thing about Crimea: this was on a rush, since we were on a schedule. I would like to go back there and stay for a week or more in order to see all the sites left unseen and to ride all the back roads around left un ridden. It is a beautiful place.
On the road from Sudak to Kerch is Koktebel, a small village known for its factory of vintage cognacs. Probably you have seen already pictures like this:

"Cognacs Country"

From the same spot

The next small town is Feodosia. The city was founded by Greek colonists from the VI century BC. Oance, it was the largest trading port on the Black Sea. Now Feodosiia is a resort town with a small port and with ruins of Genuezsk fortress Kafa. We stopped only to find an ATM to get some money. Also I found my stickers with UA, so from now on the side cases will look better.
From there on the road to Kerch is pa lain flat road. But we had a tip. So, somewhere after Fonta we took left on M17/E97 towards Zalotoe. As someone said it in an earlier RR here, Between Zolotoe (45.424655, 36.079786) and Kurortnoe (45.473503, 36.337917 ) is one of the most beautiful, serene place in the Crimean Peninsula. The detour Zalotoe – Kurotov is a nice light off road ride on the shore of Azov Sea with splendid empty beaches. At one point the road goes down on the beach and we decided to make a stop to take a swim and eat something.

We ride along the shore until Kurortnoe where we made one last stop for water before Kerch. A few km after Kurortnoe the asphalt begins.
We booked a room at Hotel Meridian located right in the center. We got a very nice room for 400 Grivnas, and you can put the bikes behind the hotel in a guarded parking.

As I went to look for a gas station Oana took a shower. After leaving the gas station I notice that my speedo is not working anymore. After as check at the hotel it aprears that the cable in broken. Few minutes later in the room, a call from reception lets me know that gas is pouring from my bike. A fuel pipe is broken. For this I had a spare and 15 minutes later it was done with many apologies to the parking manager (guard) for the stains and smells left there. Not a good day for science today isn’t it.
On the other hand Kerch was a pleasant surprise for us. It looks a lot better than we had expected. After a shower we took a walk in the Pl. Lenina where of course a Lenin statue was present. In the square lays the Church of St John the Baptist which dates back to 717. This Byzantine building is Ukraine’s oldest surviving church. We decide that it was time for some exercise and we climbed to the soviet war monument and the ruins of the ancient city of Panticapaeum. We were supposed to be gratified with some nice views.

There are 432 stairs up the central Mithridates Hill. The view from the summit was as good as we hoped for and we admired the ruins of Panticapaeum.

Painters

We missed the Turkish Fort of Eni-Kale with its four pointed capsule-like turrets and Tsarske Kurgan an empty 4th-century BC burial ground, thought to be the grave of a Bosporan king. More for next time.
Coming down we found a nice restaurant (Fishka) where we enjoyed a good dinner and some beers. Sorry, one beer.
After some shopping in a local supermarket we went to sleep sin tomorrow we would wake up at 5 for the ferry to Russia.
Old 04-06-2012, 06:15 PM   #40
Flying dutch
Adventures

Oddometer: 78
Adrian, like your reports and the exact coordinates
Flying dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:07 PM   #41
Dickyb
Bewildered Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,038

Now I'm totally confused. Glad you've filled up with gas and are continuing the tale.

Cheers,

Dickyb
Dickyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 03:21 AM   #42
asilindean OP
Adrian

What confuses you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickyb View Post

Now I'm totally confused. Glad you've filled up with gas and are continuing the tale.

Cheers,

Dickyb
Old 04-09-2012, 03:35 AM   #43
asilindean OP
Adrian

Day 7 - Kerch – Sochi - 430 km

The day before the receptionist at the hotel, who speaks very good English, was kind enough to call for us at the shipping company in Sochi in order to found out when the ferry to Trabzon was schedule to leave. The news was good, the ship was in the port and it did not leave the next day. Maybe Saturday or Sunday. She also told us that is good to be at the ferry to cross in Russia an hour before the starting of the formalities.
We woke up at 4.45 and ride to the ferry. It was a short one 20 min. We arrived there around 6.

The Kassa for tickets is on the left side. You need to have the passports and vehicle documents. The price for 2 tickets plus the bike was 175 Grivna.
Then we wait. After buying tickets you stay in line before the entry in the port. The border guards' then check your ticket and let you in. There you wait for the Wait for the ferry and customs. The ferry left at 7.30 and the crossing took 25 min. On the ferry we received the immigration form which was also in English and not so hard to fill.

You exit the ferry and there are 2 lines: one for all the passengers and one for vehicles. The passengers of the vehicles wait in line with everybody else while only the driver is allowed to stay with the vehicle.
Russian customs: they first check pass, then check registration documents of the bike. Then you must fill in a custom declaration regarding means of transportation, luggage and so on. Only in Russian but with some help from the custom guys I managed to do that.
After that you move to the next line of buildings and there in an office there is a lady who will prepare some documents for you. This is part one of the Temporary Import of Vehicle form. She will makes some papers and prepare some documents on a memory stick. With her and the documents you go to another office where another lady prepares the temporary import document for the bike. This document is given to you with a stamp with a code bar and you are instructed not to lose it. From disembarking the ferry until exiting the customs it took a total of 90 min. Which is a good time I say.
At 9.30 we were riding towards Sochi, destination of the day.

First big city on the route is Novorossiysk. The road is very good 2 then 4 lane road for the first 130 km. Crossing Novorossiysk was a traffic nightmare. We made a stop right after Novorossiysk. It was 40 minutes just to cross the city. After Novorossiysk the road narrows to a 2 lane road with very dense traffic and some road repairs. Nevertheless the road is in good condition. It is the main road to Sochi and the huge construction yard that is there in preparation for the 2014Winter Olympics.

After Tuapse the road get narrower and in the middle there is the white line which everybody advised me not to cross. After yesterday? No way!

The traffic to Sochi was extremely dense. The fact that it was Friday afternoon did not helped either. Loads of cars and trucks. As in endless….

We left Russian customs at 9.30 in the morning and arrived in Sochi at 8 in the evening covering a distance of 430 km. We made only 3 stops on the way. It was a tough ride but somehow fun. I have earned my dinner and beer for that day.
A word about the Russian truck drivers: very, very polite on the 2 lane road, they drive as close to the side of the road in order to let you pass them without crossing the white line splitting the lanes.
Crossing the white line splitting the lanes it is a very serious offense in Russia, and there were endless police teams with state of the art cameras, positioned on the side of the road with the sole intend of catching you crossing that line. They don’t care about speed; you can’t drive very fast in those roads. Surprisingly to me, almost nobody crossed the white line.
Entering Sochi area there is a barrier and a police check point but we weren’t stopped.

We went straight to the port to check the schedule of the ferry to Tranzon. The Kasa was closed, but we learn that it will be a ferry next day, and we can buy tickets next morning.
We went to the Nairi Hotel where we had booked a room in advance. The hotel was very nice, with secure parking behind closed doors, a swimming pool and clean rooms. (2750 Ruble/night – one of the most expensive night of the trip). Also one of the ladies from reception spoke good English.
We had reserved 2 nights in advance not knowing when the ferry will leave. We stayed and paid only one night, nice people. The most expensive dinner of the trip we had there since we were too tired to take a walk and search for another place to eat (1360 Ruble).
Old 04-09-2012, 05:26 AM   #44
Kristof Granit
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
Thank You for the report, I wait the next stage with the ferry to Trabzon.
Regarding the white lane, it's simple you loose your driving licence for 4 to 6 months...

ps: I went to Sochi to the tea plantation from Novorossiysk last december:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...5&postcount=36
Old 04-09-2012, 05:52 AM   #45
asilindean OP
Adrian

Hi Brat,

I have read you Ural adventures . In the future I plan to get a sidecar myself :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat Sever View Post
Thank You for the report, I wait the next stage with the ferry to Trabzon.
Regarding the white lane, it's simple you loose your driving licence for 4 to 6 months...

ps: I went to Sochi to the tea plantation from Novorossiysk last december:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...5&postcount=36