Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2012, 11:08 AM   #46
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,283
Sooooooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by fudgypup View Post
great idea but for me it sounds like a solution in search of a problem. For me, mud really hasn't been an issue (yet). It's pretty dry conditions out here. I mainly want the header and engine protection, along with keeping the spray and rocks from coming up and damaging my delicate whale foreskin riding attire.
So, Woody's fender might stop the debris showers...I too would want to stop incoming projectiles.

Woody... if you do come up with a reasonable fender/debris splitter and if I can get a tubeless 21" front tire/wheel at a reasonable [I know cost is subjective...you just know what is too much] price I would go for it.
Wallowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 08:39 PM   #47
woody's wheel works
Built to Last

Oddometer: 3,346
tubeless 21 front rim...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallowa View Post
So, Woody's fender might stop the debris showers...I too would want to stop incoming projectiles.

Woody... if you do come up with a reasonable fender/debris splitter and if I can get a tubeless 21" front tire/wheel at a reasonable [I know cost is subjective...you just know what is too much] price I would go for it.

currently the only tubeless 21 front i know of is the X-laced one used by bmw on their R100 GS/PD,,,HP-2 models,,we can swap these on any other bmw

many people seal 21 rims,,,knowing what i know i refus eto seal any rim that doesn't sport asafety bead...am lookin gto buy/invest making a 1.85x21 die to extrude the rims,,ther ewould be several ways e can get em tubeless
woody
....Wanna e-mail us... woodyswheelworks@gmail.com
......Wanna talk,,,call us
toll free... 1-866-936-0232
........If you're lost???... GPS = 39*40'33.86N x 104*59'54.69W
woody's wheel works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 12:29 AM   #48
fitenfyr
Dirt is Good

Oddometer: 422
Guys you can't go wrong with a Woody's 21" up front.
Other than a squeaky brake issue Woody and I have been trying to sort out (odd duck thing not normal) I have been 100% happy with my 21" Superlight and the Excel rim.
Strong and ZERO issues. I put it through the wringer all the time when I ride.
Jumps, Whoops, rocks, ruts you name it I have no fear of taking it on with that rim. Now my stock rear.....yeah that one I expect to be in for a re-build in short order, but so far it's hanging tough.
Any how couple quick boring pics from a first ride of the season yesterday and one from Moab because I just love that place.... One is middle of a pretty big whoops section I was playing on rather hard, the frame just before this one is the bike bottomed out in the bottom.....
Oh yeah tubed front and tubeless rear....I have not had one single flat and I have aired down to like 22 numerous times with it.
On street at 26 and it feels pretty good. I am not gentle on it either. I ride hard in the corners. She has seen 80+ on numerous occasions and I road to Moab and back on a MT21 at 33lbs without issue at those kinds of speeds. Tubed is not an issue IMO.

I have hit stuff with that front I was SURE bent the rim and it is not even the slightest out of true yet.
Oh and the wheelies are coming along much better now with that lighter front wheel....
2005 F650GS
http://www.jasonstiffey.com

fitenfyr screwed with this post 04-09-2012 at 12:34 AM
fitenfyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 09:15 AM   #49
josephdrose
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Question about ride height

This may be a dumb question, but doesn't increasing the wheel size in the front from 19" to 21" add 1" of height to the front of the bike, making it no longer level? I suppose if you went with an 18" in the rear, it would only be 1/2", but that still seems like it would throw off a lot; the angle of the seat, the angle of the pegs, maybe something else I'm not thinking of.
josephdrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 11:28 AM   #50
fudgypup
Banned

Oddometer: 2,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by josephdrose View Post
This may be a dumb question, but doesn't increasing the wheel size in the front from 19" to 21" add 1" of height to the front of the bike, making it no longer level? I suppose if you went with an 18" in the rear, it would only be 1/2", but that still seems like it would throw off a lot; the angle of the seat, the angle of the pegs, maybe something else I'm not thinking of.
It does but I haven't noticed any difference. You could always increase the preload in the rear as well but haven't gotten around to it.
fudgypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 01:33 PM   #51
fitenfyr
Dirt is Good

Same here the minor height difference does nothing for the seat issue, but however it does change the trail a bit and certainly creates a slight to moderate handling change depending on your perspective.
It is a positive change IMO though.
2005 F650GS
Old 04-09-2012, 01:38 PM   #52
josephdrose
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitenfyr View Post
creates a slight to moderate handling change depending on your perspective.
Would you mind elaborating on that? Is it easier to steer, more stable, etc?
Old 04-09-2012, 07:13 PM   #53
woody's wheel works
Built to Last

riding /handling effect of 21" front over std 19",,,

in a nutshell: because i've posted on this subject half dozen times...

the 21''/17 raises front wheel circa 3/4-1'' depending on the tire = slight increase in trail= slightly slower response increased straight-line stability most folks enjoy specially off-road

21/18 raises both ends up about the same amount ,,thus leveling the bike to the original configuration...that's the simple version of it

the biggest impression you will have is that 'WHOA!!!1' this really is easier to ride off-road and come to think of it ,,,it ain't bad on the highway either''.....i have dozens of testimonials /ride reports attesting to the transformation of the bikes handling ,,wait til Jimmy Lewis does a report in Dirt Bike magazine here in the near future,, putting it mildly he was pretty impressed..
ok gotta go..any more specific questions ya canpost em here:
in vendor 'ask woody about your wheels''

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=145899

woody
Old 04-09-2012, 08:10 PM   #54
fitenfyr
Dirt is Good

The only thing I can add to what Woody said is personal preference.
The combination of the larger wheel and the trail change makes the handling different.
It is subtle in my opinion so it all depends on how in tune you are to your bike I guess. Some may find it uncomfortable others won't notice and others like me could find it better.
For example Woody suggested I get a steering stabilizer and I feel that I don't need one. If I installed one maybe I would like it better, but for now it is just fine the way it is.
I loaned it to a friend a few weeks ago and he didn't care for the street handling, but loved the off road handling.

On road....

Unlike what Woody said I find it "faster" rather than slower, but do find the straight line tracking better.
What I notice is a much more "aggressive" turn in (takes more press though so maybe that is what Woody means by "slower") and faster response from the steering on road. I really prefer a "heavy" bar, but I am a big guy so finesse is not exactly a strong point for me.
I relate the front end feel to a mountain bike like response versus a normal old beach cruiser if that makes any sense.

Off road...

I find it instills much more confidence in the front end. Point it in the direction you want to go and it goes.
Come in a bit fast to a corner and I feel like I have more traction and if it does slip it recovers faster than the wider smaller rim.
Drift the rear end a bit and the front end still steers well.
Front braking has a much better feel to it. I can sneak up on a lock up and use more of my front brake.
The front end just bounces up on things rather than the "banging" like the 19 can.

Again I have no negatives on running the 21"
I am looking forward to when Jimmy Lewis gets done with his write up I am sure it will offer another bunch of good info/opinion maybe even a few more tips for running one.
2005 F650GS
Old 04-10-2012, 05:40 AM   #55
josephdrose
Adventurer

Thanks

Thanks for the replies, guys.
Old 04-13-2012, 09:53 PM   #56
hasenwerk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,288
Kick stand issues

I have Woody's 21" Excel on the front of my 1100 GS for well over a year now and truely think this is the way the GS should have been out of the box. Zero complaints! I also upgraded the girl friend's 2006 650GS to an Excel 21" from Woody as well.

The only issue that I have, and I would love to see example of how others have solved it is now that the bike is higher off the ground, what do you do about the way too short kick stand? I always thought the 1100 GS kickstand was too short to begin with but now I have to carry a wood 2x4 block on a string that is attached to my tank bag to put under the kickstand when I park the bike - sort of light weighing anchor! This with the Touratech aluminium foot on the kick stand too. Ultimately I would like to see it extended by 5cm (2") but if one was to do that, it would interfere with the center stand. I see on the 1200 GS the kickstand isn't straight like it is on the 1100/1150 rather a bit of a crook in it - anyone do something like this to their 1100/1150? With the extra fuel capacity of the Touratech 41L tank - I need to make sure my bike won't take a nap while it is parked.

ONE TANK REMAINS! BMW F650 GS & Dakar / G650 GS & Sertao "Adventure Extender" 6L / 1.6gal Auxiliary Fuel Tanks
hasenwerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:30 PM   #57
kktos
on a bright side of life

Oddometer: 2,345
Thumb

I've one on mine too. Perfect on any occasion.
We did a trip thru Africa last year, around 10.000kms. perfect.
the only problem ?
the mudguard ! :)
it's too close to the tyre.... Don't ask me how I know :)

Woody seems to be working on a solution.....that I'm eager to see :)

/thierry
kktos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 03:00 AM   #58
woody's wheel works
Built to Last

adjustable sidestand,,been there n done that,,,

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasenwerk View Post
I have Woody's 21" Excel on the front of my 1100 GS for well over a year now and truely think this is the way the GS should have been out of the box. Zero complaints! I also upgraded the girl friend's 2006 650GS to an Excel 21" from Woody as well.

The only issue that I have, and I would love to see example of how others have solved it is now that the bike is higher off the ground, what do you do about the way too short kick stand? I always thought the 1100 GS kickstand was too short to begin with but now I have to carry a wood 2x4 block on a string that is attached to my tank bag to put under the kickstand when I park the bike - sort of light weighing anchor! This with the Touratech aluminium foot on the kick stand too. Ultimately I would like to see it extended by 5cm (2") but if one was to do that, it would interfere with the center stand. I see on the 1200 GS the kickstand isn't straight like it is on the 1100/1150 rather a bit of a crook in it - anyone do something like this to their 1100/1150? With the extra fuel capacity of the Touratech 41L tank - I need to make sure my bike won't take a nap while it is parked.
ok everyone,,been there and solved that one several years ago,,,
here's the link:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=358866&page=5

and what the hey???,,all the pics are gone,,,,,
will post some new ones,,

can get ya 1.5'' range,,simple to use ,,,can get ya bigger foot-print at the same time

have one on my R1100GS and my R1200GS,,sweet

woody
Old 06-08-2012, 03:57 PM   #59
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,283
Updates?

Any updates on Jimmy Lewis review of 21" wheel on GS/GSA?

How about a functional fender on the 21" wheel?

Thanks
Wallowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 04:22 AM   #60
woody's wheel works
Built to Last

up dates

FYI..am in germany... won't be back for awhile,,,

will check into the Jimmy lewis article,,Wasp -man and i are collaborating on a higher fender solution for the GS/GSA 21 wheel conversion....
that project is on track,,,, all be it currently a slower one...there's just so much of me

will keep you all posted

woody

woody's wheel works screwed with this post 06-27-2012 at 10:20 PM