User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2012, 11:55 AM   #1
DocWong OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,105
Doc Wong's Noob Wife-New Street Riding Experiences

Hi everyone, *thought I'd share the experience on this next stage or Alexa riding:

Well after 4 parking lot sessions, Alexa started getting pretty comfortable starting, stopping and cornering. *She was definitely looking pretty comfortable with controlling her bike, staying light on the handlebars. *She getting totally bored with this and that she was going to start riding on the streets and that I could come with her if I wanted to. *I probably over did it with the baby steps in not wanting to push her. *

Who am I to say no and she did look ready to me too, so off we went her on the Ninja 250 and me on my vintage Guzzi so I can go appropriately slow.

So wow, first time riding on the street with the love of my life. *I was definitely too watchful and aware to really enjoy the *moment, but writing about it seems to bring back the joy on this first experience.

I choose a very easy street, Canada Road with very light traffic and a minimum of intersections. *At first I led, which I feel didn't work out so well. I could see cars tailgating her which made me nervous. *I finally had her go in front of me so I could buffer the tailgaiters. *

Tailgating cars??? *This is a very foriegn experience since I avoid having cages behind me, I'll either pass or split lanes to not be tailgaited as I think it's a very vulnerable position to be while riding a motorcycle. *So she's going pretty slow which is to be expected but here I have a car up my ass and I'm really getting pretty irritated. *

Feeling threatened and there to protect my love, I try the big mean biker routine and turn around and try the giving dirty looks and other gestures and I found quickly that this had the opposite effect, the cages didn't back off and seemed to be even more aggressive. *Maybe it was the absence of long hair and tatoos that gave my bluff away, anyway it didn't work, I was obviously too wimpy looking. ;-)

I calmed down and it dawned on me, like duh, it always pays to be courtous. *So instead, I turned around and gestured to the car behind me, pointing to Alexa in front of me and letting the driver know that she was a newbie and oh well, what are we going to do? **And WOW! *The cars consistently backed off and when passing us, smiled knowingly. *It was very cute actually. *They got that she was a new rider and that I was just riding along helping her. *Wow, the lessons I re-learn. *It's almost always better to handle others with respect and dignity!

Anyway going from one end of Canada Road to the other and back seemed like to took forever, but she did really well, handled her bike well and came back home pretty happy. *She said that was a nice ride and everything went smoothly and that it was easy. *

Me, at the time I guess I was happy, but more relieved than happy. *Me, I'm making sure I don't put any performance expectations on her. If she wanted to stay in the parking lot for another 20 days, I'd have no trouble with it. *At this point I'm pretty happy with my very new experience with motorcycling. *For so many years my experience riding has been striving to improve my knowledge and riding whether it was on the track, dirt or touring. *This experience has been just as challenging as anything I've done in the past. *I hope Alexa continues to take baby steps thru her journey to confident and safe riding.

Me, I can see that I'm practicing going at beginner pace and learning lots of other things in the experience. *Lesson learned: be courteous to other car drivers, it usually pays off.

Doc Wong (Free) Riding Clinics http://www.docwong.com

My 1200 GS small hill climb video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EntvKjdduI
-----------------------------------------------------------
DocWong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 12:08 PM   #2
Cdubs
made for adventure

Oddometer: 158
Way to smooth over the situation Doc!
Cdubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:12 PM   #3
DocWong OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdubs View Post
Way to smooth over the situation Doc!
Yes, it's been quite an "Adventure Ride." ;-)

Doc Wong (Free) Riding Clinics http://www.docwong.com

My 1200 GS small hill climb video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EntvKjdduI
-----------------------------------------------------------
DocWong is offline   Reply With Quote