User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-09-2012, 08:21 PM   #1
Player B OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Show and Tell: First Project is Ready for the Road!

Hello all. After lurking here for a while, I figure it is finally time that I introduce myself and do some show and tell on my own project. I've been wanting to start something like this for a while now, and back in November I picked up a 1983 R80RT from a fellow inmate not too far from where I live just north of Dallas.

Bike the night I brought it home

Before I go on, If you're looking for an RT restoration, you will be disappointed. It may look like sacrilege to some purists, but the reality is that this bike was most likely going to be parted out if I didn't take it. This way, I got the perfect base for my first project, and I still have all the parts that I will hopefully make their way to someone who is trying to restore their RT.

Mechanically, the bike was in very good condition. The engine runs solid, everything on it works and has, in my opinion, minimal corrosion for a bike that is almost 30 years old. So far, I haven't done much to the engine other than changing the fluids and cleaning it up. The bodywork is a different story. It was certainly serviceable, but that picture makes it look in much better shape than it was.

The goal for now as been to drop weight, and give it a sportier stance without throwing too much cash into it. Still have some little loose ends to tie up, but for now "Stage 1" is complete. The bike is road worthy and I plan on riding the snot out of it.

On to the good stuff, pictures:

A coworker snagged a couple of pics of me during a recent morning commute

Player B screwed with this post 04-09-2012 at 08:30 PM
Player B is offline   Reply With Quote