Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2012, 11:35 AM   #46
Silver
Dirtnewb

Oddometer: 2,261
edit: Where did you get your # decals Tbone??

I've debating putting in the regular clutch again just to see. Probably won't anytime too soon though. Also would have to make sure I have all the parts for it, I think I do.

Or I'll just be lazy and keep it in just because hah.
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 11:40 AM   #47
Tbone
off-ramp slayer

Oddometer: 4,249
I bought my daughter one of those shorty levers from Midwest Mountain Eng. Makes the lever pull muuuuuch easier for the clutch.

http://www.midwestme.com/

Silver, what are the requirements for your class as far as color background/numbers?
Tbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 12:28 PM   #48
Silver
Dirtnewb

Oh wow, that clutch lever is AWESOME. If I swap back up to manual clutch I'll most definitely pick one of those up. Sweet!

No idea on class or background. Class will be as slow as possible. Also we have OCCRA(more pro guys), ATV Motion, and BlackJack Enduro. So not sure, was just going to slap some #'s on there for looks.

One thing about having a KTM is that you show up someplace and people think you actually know how to ride and you gotta fill them in that "Nope, brand new at this crap".
Old 04-05-2012, 05:18 AM   #49
Motorhead1812
n00b

Oddometer: 6
You are getting some good insight from the fellow inmates and nearly all the advice is spot on. A mild motor is faster at the end of hare scramble or enduro. Think carefully about reworking a motocrosser, once you get done with a suspension revalve, detuning and taming the motor, a large tank, lighting(?), chain/sprocket gearing and protective gear it gets expensive and time consuming. Some Pro riders can race a MX-based bike in the woods, the rest of us are looking at a trip to the hospital when an aggressive powerband explodes in tighter trail. A novice / C class racer can be very competitive on a well setup lower budget bike, it is 80% rider skill 20% bike.

fyi:
http://maine.craigslist.org/mcy/2928847365.html
2008 KTM 250 XC-WE - $3400 (Kennebunk, ME)

Date: 2012-03-29, 11:45AM EDT
Reply to: fhbk2-2928847365@sale.craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

New engine rebuild, 2-Stroke, electric start, Watchdog computer, very good condition. Call Brad 303-775-8895

A watchdog computer is a dedicated enduro timekeeping computer (about $300), and says a lot about how the previous owner was using the bike and how he set it up. An enduro bike is competitive for hare scrambles, the reverse is not always true.
Motorhead1812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:06 AM   #50
motomike14
Thumper Crusader

Oddometer: 1,672
My top 5;

1) Kawasaki KDX200/220; can be found cheap with many farkles.
2) KTM EXC200; post-05 are great. Little more money, but a lot more oomph.
3) Post 96-Honda XR250 (or, a 400, if it can be found); air cooled, light, tons of aftermarket goodies available, and, when maintained, reliable as the sun rising.
4) Yamaha YZ250; throw a large tank, flywheel weight, and some good bars, and it won't let you down. Was my woods weapon for 2 years before I went back to vintage. Look for the post-05 models; aluminum frame and upgraded plastics make a huge difference.
5) Honda CRF250X; magic button. Nuff' said.

I drink the koolaid too...just not the orange kind.
motomike14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 11:36 AM   #51
novaboy OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 506
Well, I'm still looking, prices in Canada suck. Unfortunately I don't have the time to be travelling throughout the northeast looking for the best deal on bikes. There is a local 2003 XR250R, thats in great shape, I know its not a woods weapon, but neither am I. I'll ride that all year, do an enduro in the fall, and see how it goes from there. I'll go out and watch a harescramble, and maybe ride the track to see what it is all about. Racing for me is for fun, if I find I want to be more competitive, I'll sell my Ninja and get something like a KTM or Husky next season. The XR is cheap, easy to work on, and easy to ride.

I'll keep you posted.
https://www.youtube.com/user/fundypaddlesurf/videos
novaboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 02:33 PM   #52
Silver
Dirtnewb

Quote:
Originally Posted by novaboy View Post
I'll keep you posted.
Sweet definitely keep us posted. Currently I'm trying to ride a bit of everything. So far I've done sand(whoa that sucked being a newb on it), dirt, mud, rocks, and a nice newbie friendly MX track that some buddies turned me on to. Little bit of everything.

Currently sand sucks because my brain won't let me get back on the seat and hit the gas like you're supposed to it's too busy going "WE'RE GONNA CRASH AHHHHHHH" when I try to do that so I chop throttle and bury the front wheel. Mud I rode last Sat and did a lot better on than the previous time when I hit a mud puddle and whiskey throttled it into a bigger mud puddle. But I was tip toeing a long pretty hard core. Rock has been decent. Regular dirt has been decent.

Goals right now are getting better at shifting while standing, also need to adjust rear break so it's easier to get to while standing. Remembering to grip the bike with my knees, and turns, I'm really slow in turns. Hills kinda freak me out too, but I'm getting better at them.

Cheers!
Old 04-10-2012, 02:58 PM   #53
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 10,118
.....not a XR650R.... that's for sure.
Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 04:26 PM   #54
barnyard
Verbal tactician

Oddometer: 10,623
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
Currently sand sucks because my brain won't let me get back on the seat

Cheers!
Back on the seat = bad.

In sand, you want to stand on the pegs, look where you want to go and lean to turn. Do not try to steer.

Try to think of sand like a boat in water. As a boat is starting out, it plows through the water. Give it some more gas and it hops up on plane.

Same thing with a dirt bike in sand, you want to get it up on plane, if you will. Stand with your body back and neutral, letting the bike dance underneath you.
Old 04-12-2012, 05:14 AM   #55
novaboy OP
Studly Adventurer

Well, I finally got the wife onboard, only cost me a new set of exterior doors, two new garage doors, and a new front walkway.

I'm going out this evening to look at an '03 XR250R, it looks like its in awesome shape, and if it comes home with me I'll post up some pics. Sad thing is I leave at 0530 tomorrow morning to go Dallas for 10 days of work. It's gonna be a long long 10 days.
Old 04-12-2012, 03:43 PM   #56
novaboy OP
Studly Adventurer

Well I went and looked at this, fell in love, it's in beautiful shape. Sad thing is, I leave for Dallas for work for 10 days tomorrow at 0530. Damn it. Can't wait to get home and start riding in the dirt. It's gonna be a fun summer. There's a 75km enduro this fall that has my name written all over it. LOL
Old 04-12-2012, 04:37 PM   #57
David_Moen
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,226
Nice! Have fun with that!
Old 04-13-2012, 08:35 AM   #58
Silver
Dirtnewb

Awesome looking bike! Gotta love Honda! Have fun and keep us posting on what you are doing training wise, physical and what type of riding you are doing.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:17 AM   #59
novaboy OP
Studly Adventurer

Thanks guys,

As far as training goes, I'm doing a lot of running, 5 days a week, and my long runs are 15 miles at the moment. I'm also doing some stand up paddlle boarding, which is killer total body/ core workout. Pushups, planks, ab work using an exercise ball, and when I get home from this 10 day work trip, the start of getting myself in bike shape.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:31 AM   #60
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrk2surf View Post
plated xr 200
Thanks for the 2014 support:BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Renazco Racing, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , motolab , Tripy GPS, Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is online now   Reply With Quote