Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2012, 05:53 PM   #16
The Walrus
Gone and back again.

Oddometer: 8,737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roostre View Post
.....howdy Roostre......totally agree................
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
The Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 06:12 PM   #17
dieselcruiserhead OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,236
Quote:
Originally Posted by trackhead View Post
Looks like that little stretch worked out! Did you see the old road markers?
didn't - none at all... But this was the area. What a great spot... We dropped into the wash as soon as it was ridable and it was neat... Hate to say it but I actually sort of liked being off track and was having a lot of fun in these areas...
dieselcruiserhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 06:19 PM   #18
redpillar
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 840
Great report Thanks!!
redpillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 06:19 PM   #19
trackhead
Utard Wankster

Oddometer: 2,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselcruiserhead View Post
didn't - none at all... But this was the area. What a great spot... We dropped into the wash as soon as it was ridable and it was neat... Hate to say it but I actually sort of liked being off track and was having a lot of fun in these areas...
It was this spot, right?
trackhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 06:32 PM   #20
dieselcruiserhead OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackhead View Post
It was this spot, right?
ha, possibly! I'd say we ran into quite a bit of cow-made single track that was awesome. Looks similar and could have been the place. We did a couple miles in this area, but this was actually north of the San Rafael again and pretty close to our camp spot in Green River..
Old 04-11-2012, 06:44 PM   #21
trackhead
Utard Wankster

Oddometer: 2,754
Did you ride "The Luge"?
trackhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 06:55 PM   #22
dieselcruiserhead OP
Beastly Adventurer

Back to it...

Pretty soon we determined we had no real wood and needed to scrounge. I mentioned a spot I remembered fondly involving some beers and my friend Bill's full size Dodge the year before but the guys were a couple beers among other "issues" and had some trouble finding it. Pretty soon Mishkie also started feeling really sick and managed to have fluids coming out of both sides and was in bad shape with some sort of nasty bug. Bummer and man-down and he would be down for the rest of the weekend... But stuck around which was great... Giff, Pete, Steve, and I proceeded to get a little lit up with Coors, Coors Light, and I even managed to cram a 9% Old Rasputin in there, which is currently my favorite beer, and we had a blast. Shortly after we got into Mishkie's truck and and rallied over to firewood Mecca and came back with this:

And as a result pretty soon the fire was a little larger than I would have liked and I completely ruined the dutch oven yak yakin away and we had a blast... There is a dutch oven in there somewhere (oops)

Pretty soon I came to my senses a few beers in and the dutch oven was on fire! bacon grease from the inside flaming away. About 1/2 of it was still edible and we ate it, but man was it burned...

the moon came out though and man was it beautiful. The wind also died down and temps were pretty good finally..

And then we attempted to cook some expensive ass steaks on the fire. Only thing is I have a fancy-ass metal Coleman cooler that is bomb proof but sucks ass for keeping things cold ... including the steaks. They were skunked. We cooked them on the fire in some bacon grease just in case but I took one bite and never felt right.

Somehow in the preplanning I never explained what we would do for food and a couple guys bought freeze dried foods. Giff had spent like $100 on it. At first it was funny and we all made fun of him but we ended up without any food because it was all bad and Giff came to the rescue... I hadn't had Mountain House food in something like 10-15 years but it was actually pretty good now and it saved the night and we ate like kings. A little of everything. Mashed potatoes, some sort of stroganoff, some curry, you name it.

And an hour or two later I ended up finally letting it out like Mishkie just before I was about to brush my teeth. Giff thought it was mishkie again but it was me -- two guys hurling out five.. Doh! THis said I started drinking water and was OK in the morning.

The following morning it looked like a bomb went off, battery to my car was dead, and we'd slept till something like 9:30 but at least it was warm....

We'd decided the night before with the San Diego boys that instead of heading out to Moab the following night we would just lap back to the camp and sleep in. They would then take off early Sunday instead of mid day so this changed the plans a little. So this justified sleeping in and just making Saturday a mellower day (in theory... ).

After we woke up we ended up back at hte West Winds for breakfast and I think Barb was our waitress this morning and she was great. Mishkie was still really hurting and he got a hotel room there for the day/night to recover as he couldn't even drive to Denver in his state. The rest of us hit the road.

dieselcruiserhead screwed with this post 04-11-2012 at 07:08 PM
Old 04-11-2012, 07:34 PM   #23
dieselcruiserhead OP
Beastly Adventurer

The reason we were back in Green River for night two is related to bridges. There are really only two on this side of the state over the Colorado, one way south of Hankville and one way north in Green River. So this is why we were back at the cars in Green River. Otherwise and there is limited terrain south of The Swell that is reasonable elevation mostly related to problems from the Grand Staircase Escalante National Monument which Clinton put in place in the last couple weeks before leaving office. You can't even ride a bicycle here because the rules are so strict, so this is one of the areas that really bums me out... So our choices were to explore more in the Swell, or go hit some of the epic stuff near Moab. So we opted for Moab...

So, we crossed the bridge in town and then headed south on the Moab side of the river down to Dubinky / Grand Wash. This was pretty fun and sweepy and a mix of lots of jeep road and some single track. I didn't know what to expect and had routed this down to Grand Wash which is a pretty popular area and was beautiful...

Pete took a big digger here and his Cycras needed a little adjustment...

Sweepie...

Pretty soon we were following brown BLM signs but came around the corner and Ranger Rick came over. I'm friend with cops and all for enforcement but Dubinky is a complete shit show and this guy was just super super lazy and a completely pathetic waste of a human who was mad at the world, completely incompetent, and hated life. He wrote down our names on yellow paper for a "warning," then kicked over the rocks that people had built to mark the trail we were on. We had no idea we were off the trail for 100 feet. Next thing we were there 20 minutes and he was ranting about his pay and how living in green river sucked etc etc etc. Basically just hated life.. We weren't even aware we were off the trail for the 100 feet that we were on the clearly deeper marked trail. He should just put some f'ing rocks across where we traveled. And while we was writing us up he let the guy behind us go and pretended to care. Giff managed to snap a photo, LOL...

We burned out of there and pretty soon were down by Grand Wash dunes and our spirits started lifting...

Pretty soon I figured out where we were and where we were going to go, and I said to the guys "fear not -- payback for that awful experience is coming shortly." It was pretty neat exploring Dubinky. This is because I said F' it and next thing we knew we were in THE LUGE...

I'd watched some videos but purposely didn't send it to the guys so they wouldn't know what to expect. We also did it the right direction, which is clockwise, which I think goes a long way... Here is some of that video: http://vimeo.com/20313794

The luge was F'ing awesome...

dieselcruiserhead screwed with this post 04-12-2012 at 06:55 PM
Old 04-11-2012, 07:48 PM   #24
dieselcruiserhead OP
Beastly Adventurer

More.. It was our last day so I encouraged the guys to not have any issues with getting their feet wet...

Pretty soon we ended up at a point overlooking a river and we were all psyched...

Next thing we knew we continued on though a pretty awesome little dusty cave of a trail cut out through some tamarisk trees and were having a blast.. Then we came to this "bridge:"
Old 04-11-2012, 07:56 PM   #25
stuckinUT
I Wanna Ride!

Oddometer: 110
Who drives the Volvo? V70 maybe?
stuckinUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 08:17 PM   #26
Roostre
Discombobulated

Oddometer: 1,042
Eek

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckinUT View Post
Who drives the Volvo? V70 maybe?

All tha' epic photos in this report an you wanna know about some vulva?
Roostre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 08:32 PM   #27
dieselcruiserhead OP
Beastly Adventurer

I'll admit it.. All 300hp of that Volvo is mine. It's a '98 R model... Got almost 25 mpg towing down there too.. Little sleeper...
Old 04-11-2012, 09:18 PM   #28
GISkev
wwfsmd?

Oddometer: 1,684
yippee ki yay!

Now I'm twitchin' in my seat for an adventure!

where's the video of the water crash?!!

--GoProHero Helmet Cam!--http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...y=utahkev&aq=f
5 deserts:http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...3#post15462553
KTM 520 (plated), Wee-Strom (commuter bike)

GISkev screwed with this post 04-11-2012 at 09:48 PM
GISkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 10:25 PM   #29
cruiseroutfit
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Right on Dre, loving it! :cool:
ExpeditionUtah - A lifelong project of exploring Utah
kurt@cruiseroutfitters.com
cruiseroutfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:30 AM   #30
fano