Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2012, 04:04 PM   #916
TAMPAJIM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHighwayman View Post
For those of you with Madstad adjustable windscreens, do you recommend the 18" or 20" for 6' riders?
I am 6' and use the 20", it is perfect. The bottom gap is at 2" for a very good laminar effect, the top is at my mouth level so I can see clearely over the top and the air flow is just above the top of my helmet.

As to your prior question about clear vs smoked, I tried the dark smoke, it looked great but I rejected it because it created a big blind spot out in front of the bike. On the other hand, I highly recommend the light gray--it cuts out the road glare and you can see through it even at night.
Old 04-10-2012, 04:08 PM   #917
HappyHighwayman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAMPAJIM View Post
I am 6' and use the 20", it is perfect. The bottom gap is at 2" for a very good laminar effect, the top is at my mouth level so I can see clearely over the top and the air flow is just above the top of my helmet.

As to your prior question about clear vs smoked, I tried the dark smoke, it looked great but I rejected it because it created a big blind spot out in front of the bike. On the other hand, I highly recommend the light gray--it cuts out the road glare and you can see through it even at night.
Thanks a lot I will order the 20" ASAP.

How do you like it? Do you often adjust the angle?
HappyHighwayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:39 PM   #918
TAMPAJIM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 440
Quote:
Thanks a lot I will order the 20" ASAP.

How do you like it? Do you often adjust the angle?
Love it. I don't think you can buy a better touring screen for the f800 GS at any price.

Never. I don't find the angle to be that critical. I set mine at about the same angle as the front forks cause I think it looks good. Just don't set it too upright as the air flow starts to stall and you get buffeting .

I do adjust the height. High (moustache level) for touring and winter, lower for summer to get some breeze.

The bottom of the plastic shield should set high enough so at least 1"-2" of the flyscreen is exposed for best laminar flow.

The space between the flyscreen and the plastic shield should be around 2". More gap at the bottom is OK but leave at least 2" at the top of the flyscreen.
Old 04-11-2012, 02:21 AM   #919
tex99999
Ferryman

Oddometer: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAMPAJIM View Post
Love it. I don't think you can buy a better touring screen for the f800 GS at any price.

Never. I don't find the angle to be that critical. I set mine at about the same angle as the front forks cause I think it looks good. Just don't set it too upright as the air flow starts to stall and you get buffeting .

I do adjust the height. High (moustache level) for touring and winter, lower for summer to get some breeze.

The bottom of the plastic shield should set high enough so at least 1"-2" of the flyscreen is exposed for best laminar flow.

The space between the flyscreen and the plastic shield should be around 2". More gap at the bottom is OK but leave at least 2" at the top of the flyscreen.
I agree with Jim,
When I picked up my screen from Mark, he adjusted on more of an angle than it is right now (see picks on website). 3 hours later I dumped it in the sand at at a state park and had to reset it up. I have it more upright and it still works great. I have the light grey (18" and I'm 5'10") and visibility is never an issue. Since the day I re-adjusted it, it's never been touched (10,000 mi). Once I took the side wings off and a half hour later put them back on. I was too spoiled with the quiet peace behind the screen...

Jon
Old 04-11-2012, 12:14 PM   #920
Kerfuffle
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 198
Quote:
For those of you with Madstad adjustable windscreens, do you recommend the 18" or 20" for 6' riders?
Get the 20". I am 6' even, got the 18", and it is a little too short.
Old 04-11-2012, 04:02 PM   #921
LuigiWarrior
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loutre View Post
looks nice, have any outside pics? are you happy with it?
I'm very happy! I check it at 160 km/h and it's performance is good (I'm 174 cm tall).
For outside pics please wait next weeks I will take some pics from Dolomiti landscape...
LuigiWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 04:07 PM   #922
LuigiWarrior
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloy View Post
Yeah, the WRS is a great looking screen. Doesn't look like there is a US distributor yet. With shipping from Italy it is a little spendy, however .
I don't know about a US distributor, but it cost 115 euro and here : http://www.wrs.sm/PRODOTTI-WRS-CUPOL...8e00a227f.aspx
you can find some info about shipping cost... you can send a e-mail and ask for the cost...

bye
Old 04-11-2012, 04:13 PM   #923
LuigiWarrior
n00b

Quote:
Is smoked vs. clear only for aesthetic purposes or does it actually help block light or something?
no, it's only aesthetic purpose... I've got a Triple Black version of my F800gs... so I prefer the smoked version.
You can see trough it without problem, because it's no very dark

bye
Old 04-11-2012, 07:48 PM   #924
Lokey
redneck

Oddometer: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnkelPopanz View Post
Hi!

Is the air from the screen over or below your head and what about turbulence-noice?

I am considering of buying the large ZTechnik and I am about 181 cm which should be a verly little less then 6' I think. ;-)

What about the clearances of the screens with handguards and mirrors? No problem?
The wind goes over my head, so I don't feel any turbulence. There is some wind noise but I think it is a combination of wind tumbling off my shoulders and the noise that my modular helmet (Shoei) generates.

The Barkbusters just touch the screen at full lock.....I decided not to worry about it.
Lokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:15 PM   #925
OnkelPopanz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Thanks for your response!
OnkelPopanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 04:05 PM   #926
OnkelPopanz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
@Lokey

One more question: Did you also test the larger ZTechnik and if do why did you choose medium size?
OnkelPopanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 06:57 AM   #927
malloy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 715
Interesting fact: with ZTechnik's "Ride & Buy" program the dealer orders & buys the windshield from ZTechnik. If you don't buy it after riding it your dealer is stuck with it. FYI
Old 04-13-2012, 09:21 AM   #928
Lokey
redneck

Oddometer: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnkelPopanz View Post
@Lokey

One more question: Did you also test the larger ZTechnik and if do why did you choose medium size?
I just ordered it and prayed. I have found that I don't like looking through a windshield while riding and even worse is having the top of the shield at eye level.

The flow of wind at speed is such that it will go over your head if the top is about level with your chin. I have cut many windshields down and could have done it with this one if it was too high, but as it turned out it is in the right spot.

Note that after this picture was taken I installed an Altrider skid plate.
Lokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:35 AM   #929
smj
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
Great input, many thanks! My last question is how these screens work while standing? When up on the pegs, does the rider still have distance and room to stay off it? The reviews, so far, are great for on the road - or off pavement while seated... How's the fit while standing? Given the postings to date, I think I can find one I'll like on the road - I worry about the jeep trails... Tinting on a taller screens seems like it could be an issue off pavement as well, I like to see what the tire is about to run over. A gray tint seems like it would work OK though. Input on that would be great as well. Thanks!
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 12:04 PM   #930
matho...
Μιά ζωή OnOffάς!

Oddometer: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuigiWarrior View Post
Hi Luigi from Greece.Could you tell me what is the height of that WRS screen?Also if you can post a link of the storage,it would be fine...The link you send a few messages before is not working.Thanks

matho... is offline   Reply With Quote