Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2012, 03:10 PM   #31
PeteN95
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,497
Well said, XDR, but new tech is always derided by some, at least initially.

TDR, I'm not sure what ergos work for bad knees, thankfully!, but it fits me pretty well with my 34" inseam. It also seems to have proper springs for a rider weight af about 200+ lbs?! The handle bar clamps are adjustable front to back in 4 positions, much like a KTM. The seat feels a little like a KTM too (hard)?!

SVN/XRR/Christini
PeteN95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 03:01 AM   #32
tdrrally
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,328
i dont like a close seat to peg ratio, my knee is best less than a right angle

my back side likes a wider seat.

the 450ds looks like it uses crf450x body and seat parts, if thats the case seat concepts has a wider seat

any pix or video of single tracking your awd mc?
Old 04-11-2012, 09:02 PM   #33
cjracer
AWD please!!

Oddometer: 3,951
Great to see these bikes getting out there and reading some reviews.

Can't wait to get our 450 DS's in to start looking them over and prepping it for our first big test trip in WI.

Going from a 950 to a 450 is going to be a bit odd for me, but so looking forward to it.

Keep the updates coming Pete.
cjracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:05 PM   #34
cjracer
AWD please!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteN95 View Post
I've got the Rekluse EXP and will be doing the install of that, the rear hand brake, and my tall bars this weekend. Pics to follow.
Very interested to see how this works on this bike. Did you get this direct from Steve? I've heard the standard REKLUSE units for the Honda won't work on the Christini 450. I'd rather run the EXP than the Z-start PRO if I can.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:03 AM   #35
ID XR600
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
snowy ride

This was not the end I simply backed the bike up a little an blasted through and continued on.

Next to impossible to get here without a Christini,,, left everyone behind.Is it lonely, you might ask? A little but too much fun to notice.
Old 04-12-2012, 12:15 PM   #36
PeteN95
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjracer View Post
Very interested to see how this works on this bike. Did you get this direct from Steve? I've heard the standard REKLUSE units for the Honda won't work on the Christini 450. I'd rather run the EXP than the Z-start PRO if I can.
No, I got it from Rekluse after I returned the Z-start Pro which wouldn't fit because of the slightly larger diameter clutch shaft. I hear that Steve is making hubs for the Asia Wing motor so you can use a Z-start Pro or CORE clutch? I'm curious to try the EXP too, since I've only run Z-starts in the past. I should have it together this weekend.

SVN/XRR/Christini
Old 04-12-2012, 02:45 PM   #37
Bike Nomad OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 320
Howdy cjracer,

Has their been any progress in moving your 950 AWD conversion closer to production? I haven't noticed any updates on your threads for a bit. Have you given any consideration to converting a 650 class bike to AWD?
Old 04-12-2012, 03:03 PM   #38
malcolmzilla
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
A note on increasing the front drive rate.

As mentioned gearing the rear sproket lower will help close the gap and engage the front earlier, my 530 had a 13/9 front and a 16 tcase input, 45T rear for about a 67% underdrive rate, going to the 52 rear sprocket raised it into the 70% range.

Then I tried the 13/10 front countershaft and 15 tcase input and am at about 80% (same length 420 chain), great in the deep snow on studs, but tends to climb out of the rut a bit too early as it hardly takes any rear spin for the front sprags to engage...

I may go back to 13/9 and 16 for summer (offroad) conditions. Put a 49 on for local dual sporting.

http://forums.rmdra.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7105
malcolmzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 05:53 PM   #39
cjracer
AWD please!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteN95 View Post
No, I got it from Rekluse after I returned the Z-start Pro which wouldn't fit because of the slightly larger diameter clutch shaft. I hear that Steve is making hubs for the Asia Wing motor so you can use a Z-start Pro or CORE clutch? I'm curious to try the EXP too, since I've only run Z-starts in the past. I should have it together this weekend.
Ya, He's offering custom Rekluse Z-starts for these. Can't wait for the EXP update and see if STOCK fits. Getting all the little odds and ends sorted for the bike build-up when it arrives.
Old 04-12-2012, 06:08 PM   #40
cjracer
AWD please!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bike Nomad View Post
Howdy cjracer,

Has their been any progress in moving your 950 AWD conversion closer to production? I haven't noticed any updates on your threads for a bit. Have you given any consideration to converting a 650 class bike to AWD?
I've just been swamped in the shop and sick the last few weeks. More important things to do to catch up than dig through 100's of pics and post more, although I really want to.

The AWD 950 ADV is done and working great. I've been talking with Steve about maybe doing a batch in the future with some custom parts built to my specs, but that won't happen until either of us have more time to sit down and look this over. I want an AWD 950 SE so bad now, so I can see myself building more in the future, it's just when?

If I can see any place on Version 2 to make it better, I want to do it if I can.

I have thought about doing other bikes, it just takes someone with cash to say do this to my bike at whatever cost....

Then me to say, OK, I'll stop riding for 6 months while I sort this out and build it.

I don't have the R&D time to do it for free.

The BIG Adventure bikes are great and would be helped out so much by this system. It has been awesome on the KTM 950. Instead of having go full throttle up tuff stuff and bend rims or what-not, I can pick and choose my lines better and slower for safer travel. Plus 2-wheel roosts with 100 HP is so much fun.
Old 04-15-2012, 12:06 AM   #41
PeteN95
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmzilla View Post
A note on increasing the front drive rate.
As mentioned gearing the rear sproket lower will help close the gap and engage the front earlier, my 530 had a 13/9 front and a 16 tcase input, 45T rear for about a 67% underdrive rate, going to the 52 rear sprocket raised it into the 70% range.
Then I tried the 13/10 front countershaft and 15 tcase input and am at about 80% (same length 420 chain), great in the deep snow on studs, but tends to climb out of the rut a bit too early as it hardly takes any rear spin for the front sprags to engage...
I may go back to 13/9 and 16 for summer (offroad) conditions. Put a 49 on for local dual sporting.
Interesting, my DS450 came with the 13/9 CS, 16T driven sprocket and a 48T rear. This seems to let the back step out quite a bit, so I've ordered the 13/10 and 15 to try. I thought I would try the 13/10 first with the 16, if it fits. I am planning to go Supermoto, so I know I will have to go smaller on the rear sprocket, if not a 14/11 or 14/12 CS?

SVN/XRR/Christini
Old 04-15-2012, 04:07 AM   #42
tdrrally
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,328
Old 04-15-2012, 09:52 AM   #43
XRider
Almost Lifelike

Oddometer: 1,249
You guys have realy cool bikes! I love the pic of the KX in the snow. I've ridden in snow many times on many differant thumpers and always had the same result. As soon as the snow became deep enough to reach the motor that was it, no more forward progress.
RZ350L Kenny Roberts Special
KTM300EXC Plated & So cool
XRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 02:55 PM   #44
PeteN95
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjracer View Post
Ya, He's offering custom Rekluse Z-starts for these. Can't wait for the EXP update and see if STOCK fits. Getting all the little odds and ends sorted for the bike build-up when it arrives.
I got the EXP installed and running this weekend. It fits fine, but I did not want to use the clutch lever, so I used a threaded adjuster stud like those on the previous Z-start versions. I have the rear hand brake and am just used to not using a clutch lever at all. The recommended set up is to have a little drag at idle, not a problem if you have a lever, but it means it is hard for me to get neutral. I don't mind because I was used to that when my CRF had slightly warped plates. Just remember to kick it into neutral before stoping or turn it off and use the E-start.

The position of the clutch cable holder, the vent hoses, and front drive chain on the left make adjusting the little stud a real bear!?! But I got it and the EXP seems to work fine, feels about like a Z-start, but I really haven't ridden it much yet. It sure is an easy install otherwise compared to the Z-start, just remove a few clutch plates and reassemble with different springs! No checking clearance or Loctiting those little Torx screws?!?

SVN/XRR/Christini
Old 04-17-2012, 11:12 AM   #45
Entrepre-neer
Ultimate Tight A$$

Oddometer: 422
Billy Goat

I borrowed a friend's 2010 KTM 450EXC Christini with Rekluse and that thing worked like magic. Spent an entire day in slick wet woods of N Kentucky that had been used for a hare scramble a few weeks before. The traction was neverending with the heavier flywheel of the exc and Rekluse it's just a matter of dialing the throttle and letting it pull.

It doesn't have the snap that many people expect from a 450 but it always feels like it has traction. Having that front wheel pull you through tight slick turns or up snotty rocky hills or through a mud bog is such a cool feeling. I think my next bike will be a the 300 Christini (Gas Gas 2-Stroke motor) with Rekluse since I already have a 450XC-W with Rekluse as a DS bike.

Also, +1 on the comments about people misunderstanding the technology. Every idea takes time to come around. The rekluse is in the same boat. Go try one of each for a few days before you make up your mind.
Entrepre-neer is offline   Reply With Quote