Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2012, 03:29 PM   #1
WantToRideMoar OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 307
First real recreational ride!

Howdy, all...

New motorcyclist here, a coworker friend of mine turned me on to this forum.

Just scored myself a Honda Shadow Phantom 750 back in March, already have about 3300 miles on it as of today. Maybe light for some of you seasoned vets out there, but I only just got my motorcycle endorsement on my license in February.

Absolutely loving it. Should have done this 10-15 years ago.

Riding the bike to work just about every day from Mesa AZ to Scottsdale AZ, and sometimes I have to go to a different work office in Prescott Valley, about 100 miles up in the hills from Scottsdale.

Seems I'm always in a hurry and I haven't had much chance to really just cruise/tour/relax and enjoy my new bike and all it offers me, up until 2 days ago.

Another biker coworker and I are up in Prescott Valley, looking at a 120+ mile return trip back home to southeast Phoenix. I-17, pretty linear ride, 75+mph with heavy wind gusts.

So, we start looking at alternate routes. Heck, it's the end of the day, we got time!

We end up dashing up to Camp Verde and across on the 260 to 87, down through Strawberry, Pine, a quick bite to eat in Payson and then back through Bush Highway up into Usury Pass in far east Mesa. 180 miles rather than 120, but a lovely, leisurely 55 or 65mph the whole way with pine trees and even some snow for part of it.

So far, my longest ride.

Not much compared to you guys, I'm sure, but I definitely enjoyed it.

I'm shopping for a decent dual-sport in the 400-650 range after having such an awesome experience with the Shadow so far... something I can bog down with camp gear and get lost in the mountains with... I am assimilated and you'll be seeing me in many corners of the Southwest from here on out.

Looking forward to learning what I can from you guys, and thanks for an awesome little corner o' the interwebz.
WantToRideMoar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 05:58 PM   #2
WHITEHOUSE
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Welcome to the asylum. If you ask for advice on a dual sport bike here, get ready for the firehose! But, IMHO, you live in the perfect place for such a bike. Down here in the swamps of home, I'm always jealous of ride reports from your part of the country. Check the reports for some ideas where to ride and let us know what you find. Get a dirt bike!
WHITEHOUSE is offline   Reply With Quote