Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2012, 12:21 PM   #91
Dagwood_55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyLegs View Post
So it sounds to me like maybe first gear would have done it. In second you'll run lower engine RPM's, so whenever you get down to disengage speed, it will, well, disengage. Maybe you can fine tune it a bit to get a lower engage/disengage point. But if you get PRM down to idle speed, it will have to disengage.

That's true. But I did talk to Rekluse, (they are so good with live phone help!) They said once it hooks up, or engages it should stay hooked up, for the most part. You're right if the rpm's drop, it will disengage, but if going down a fair hill, the rpms should stay up and it should stay engaged. I gonna try 3 silver springs on one side.

But I've got to get around some hills to try it out, no hills in my yard....
Old 04-11-2012, 01:12 PM   #92
Alleycatdad
Unbunch yer panties!

Oddometer: 1,418
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagwood_55 View Post
That's true. But I did talk to Rekluse, (they are so good with live phone help!) They said once it hooks up, or engages it should stay hooked up, for the most part. You're right if the rpm's drop, it will disengage, but if going down a fair hill, the rpms should stay up and it should stay engaged. I gonna try 3 silver springs on one side.

But I've got to get around some hills to try it out, no hills in my yard....
...unless you lock the rear wheel on that descent. With the rekluse, you can control engine speed with your right foot.

S
Bad decisions make good stories.
Alleycatdad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:30 AM   #93
MotoTex
Miles of Smiles

Oddometer: 1,590
Does the Rekluse offer any "Slipper Clutch" effect for downshifts or throttle-down in curves on pavement?

I'm thinking this is probably not the case, but reading up on my wife's Duc Monster's clutch I could see how the slipper could be a nice thing.

I get the occasional lockup on the rear wheel when decelerating/downshifting. It can make doing so in a fast turn a little more dramatic than I would prefer.

No biggie, but if I could have it smoother than the OEM clutch that would be sweet, especially if the Rekluse provides this as well as the low-speed off-road benefit.

This is The Internet. Confirm for yourself anything you may see while visiting this strange and uncertain land.

MotoTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 01:11 PM   #94
biggus
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 376
Installing my EXP tonight and the directions are not all that clear.

The first or last fiber disk, however you look at it. Does this matter which way it faces? Is one side different for the aluminum pressure plate and one side for the steel disk?

The directions say to stack the last disk the same as the others in the basket. Is this correct or does this disk turn to set into the short recesses of the basket? Never messed with clutch internals before.

Also no reference to use any Locktite on the pressure plate bolts. Should blue or red be used or not needed.

Had to search OC for the torque specs for the bolts as well, they only specified for the clutch cover.

Thanks
biggus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 02:30 AM   #95
biggus
Gnarly Adventurer

Went to bed at 3am and was hoping to have an answer when I woke up at 11am.

Read and reread threads so now I am going to open her back up and go for it.

Pulled the whole clutch pack out disk by disk. The notch in like every 3rd ear of the friction disk, is this serve a purpose? Oil lubrication? Just to be able to use a pick and pull them out?

I seen in one of CJ's pics or videos, can't remember, all these notches in the friction disks were all in line. When I took mine apart I noticed they were staggered and I could not figure out if it was a specific pattern. I reinstalled them with the notch in one line and making sure the drive disk was installed with the rounded edge facing in to the motor as it was removed.

I set the EXP Friction Disk up for the 950 as recommended. Installed the Heavy Wedge Weights and 6 Medium Red Springs as stated in the instructions.

Has anyone with a 950 and the EXP found they needed to replace 3 Red Medium Springs with 3 Blue Heavy Springs after the additional Spacing Washers had been included in the Kit?

Old 04-13-2012, 07:23 AM   #96
cjracer
AWD please!!

Oddometer: 3,963
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus View Post
Went to bed at 3am and was hoping to have an answer when I woke up at 11am.

Read and reread threads so now I am going to open her back up and go for it.

Pulled the whole clutch pack out disk by disk. The notch in like every 3rd ear of the friction disk, is this serve a purpose? Oil lubrication? Just to be able to use a pick and pull them out?

I seen in one of CJ's pics or videos, can't remember, all these notches in the friction disks were all in line. When I took mine apart I noticed they were staggered and I could not figure out if it was a specific pattern. I reinstalled them with the notch in one line and making sure the drive disk was installed with the rounded edge facing in to the motor as it was removed. Any way will work, with my billet basket they are all in a row.

I set the EXP Friction Disk up for the 950 as recommended. Installed the Heavy Wedge Weights and 6 Medium Red Springs as stated in the instructions.

Has anyone with a 950 and the EXP found they needed to replace 3 Red Medium Springs with 3 Blue Heavy Springs after the additional Spacing Washers had been included in the Kit?

The Spacer Washers have been determined to do nothing..... You don't need to install them, Rekluse is working on another ""Update" before the next batch is released. You will be fine running your bike as is. I'd start with the Recommended 990 setup to start.

My thoughts.
cjracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:04 AM   #97
biggus
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjracer View Post
My thoughts.
Thanks CJ.

I got it all back together and took it for the Clutch Break In ride...

I am not sure if it is my jetting, stock with a Uni Pre Filter or if the clutch was slipping but I am opting for jetting.

Scenario...I cracked opened up the throttle and the bike would take off to 3k RPM without any problems then would seem to stall there like I hit a dead spot then would slowly rev up to 5k to 6k RPMs, all the time the throttle being wide open. Time after time it did this. In neutral there was not hesitation when I rev it to 5k to check the free play.
Old 04-13-2012, 09:13 AM   #98
cjracer
AWD please!!

If you're running stock jetting with the Uni, you most likely are a little rich.

Bike fully warmed up?

I've not had that issue.
Old 04-13-2012, 09:17 AM   #99
Somber
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 350
EXP installed on my 2010 Adv R, no drama, set it up per included instructions, been riding for a week, seems to be working well.

I saw some questions about engine braking on the street, in my experience with the way the unit is working on my bike, I can "downshift" and backdrive the drivetrain to keep everything engaged and enjoy standard engine braking, I could purposefully let the bike get into freewheel mode and coast where it would require a throttle blip to "reengage", but that isn't the norm for me, 99.9% of the time I'm riding as I did before I got the Rekluse, but not having to mess with the clutch lever, and very much enjoying pulling up to the gate at work and not having to hunt for N so I can show my badge, enjoying the low speed control with effectively no fear of stalling, etc...

so, all good for me thus far. I'm a bit worried about super steep descents, because they can give me the willies regardless, but I'm hoping/assuming I'll adjust to that also, and yes the rear brake works pretty well on this bike for those situations so hopefully even if I never get the hang of keeping the Rekluse engaged I can work around it.

So far I'm very happy with the change.

Just as a note - this is my first autoclutch on any bike, so I may be easily impressed...
Somber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:25 AM   #100
cjracer
AWD please!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somber View Post
EXP installed on my 2010 Adv R, no drama, set it up per included instructions, been riding for a week, seems to be working well.

I saw some questions about engine braking on the street, in my experience with the way the unit is working on my bike, I can "downshift" and backdrive the drivetrain to keep everything engaged and enjoy standard engine braking, I could purposefully let the bike get into freewheel mode and coast where it would require a throttle blip to "reengage", but that isn't the norm for me, 99.9% of the time I'm riding as I did before I got the Rekluse, but not having to mess with the clutch lever, and very much enjoying pulling up to the gate at work and not having to hunt for N so I can show my badge, enjoying the low speed control with effectively no fear of stalling, etc...

so, all good for me thus far. I'm a bit worried about super steep descents, because they can give me the willies regardless, but I'm hoping/assuming I'll adjust to that also, and yes the rear brake works pretty well on this bike for those situations so hopefully even if I never get the hang of keeping the Rekluse engaged I can work around it.

So far I'm very happy with the change.

Just as a note - this is my first autoclutch on any bike, so I may be easily impressed...
Great input from a new user.

As you have found this stays engaged as long as your RPMS are above IDLE. Same for steep desents. Run low gear. The Rekluse will only be able to hold you back so much, just as a stock clutch would, the lower the gearing the slower you can go before it free wheels.

You can drag the rear brake now with less worry of locking up the wheel and killing the bike. Concentrate on your line and less on your clutch control.

Safe travels,
cj
Old 04-13-2012, 09:43 AM   #101
biggus
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjracer View Post
If you're running stock jetting with the Uni, you most likely are a little rich.

Bike fully warmed up?

I've not had that issue.
Yes fully warmed up.

Got the H2W Jets sitting here but a little nervous doing open heart surgery plus wanted to check the valves if that far into it. Another operation I am skiddish about. Thought about having the KTM Dealer here in Bangkok check the valves and install the jets for me. It is bad enough having a dealer in the states touch your bike let alone one in Thailand. I think I will do some more research and round up some shims to have on hand and just tackle it myself one day.

Any thoughts on removing the Uni Filter and reinstalling the stock snorkel in the mean time? Do you think an oiled up filter skin mounted inside the air box under the snorkel would work to keep the stock paper filter clean?
Old 04-13-2012, 09:54 AM   #102
cjracer
AWD please!!

Quote:
Yes fully warmed up.

Got the H2W Jets sitting here but a little nervous doing open heart surgery plus wanted to check the valves if that far into it. Another operation I am skiddish about. Thought about having the KTM Dealer here in Bangkok check the valves and install the jets for me. It is bad enough having a dealer in the states touch your bike let alone one in Thailand. I think I will do some more research and round up some shims to have on hand and just tackle it myself one day.

Any thoughts on removing the Uni Filter and reinstalling the stock snorkel in the mean time? Do you think an oiled up filter skin mounted inside the air box under the snorkel would work to keep the stock paper filter clean?

I tried the Oil filter skin over the stock snorkel as a test years ago. I found it ran VERY rich, Way too restrictive.

Email sent...
Old 04-14-2012, 06:45 AM   #103
jay71
Farklin' Poser

Oddometer: 316
Quote:
Yes fully warmed up.

Got the H2W Jets sitting here but a little nervous doing open heart surgery plus wanted to check the valves if that far into it. Another operation I am skiddish about.
I can't remember if I paid extra for Ken's "how to" DVD- or if it came with the H2W jet kit. I was a noob when it came to working on carbs and very intimidated. After watching Ken's video I couldn't believe how simple and easy it was. If you don't have his install DVD, buy it- you'll feel much better about tearing into those carbs. Ken explains what everything is, where they go and does a step by step install.
Old 04-25-2012, 05:26 AM   #104
trikeboy1
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Does clutch lever need to be retained with EXP ?

Hi Guys,

Apologies for highjacking this thread but I'm after some advice . I'm a disabled rider ( cannot use my right arm/hand due to an accident ) who currently rides a Suzuki DRZ400 supermoto and a Spondon Harley Sportster flattracker which both have Rekluse clutches installed . I've also had a KTM 640 Adventure which also had a Rekluse installed . The ability to ride without the added complication of having to use a clutch lever has been invaluable and personally I think the Rekluse clutches are amazing ! I'm hoping to pick up a KTM 950 Adventure in the not-too-distant future and would like to fit it with one of the new EXP clutches . However, am I right in thinking that unlike the Z-Start Pro's which I've used in the past , you need to retain the clutch lever with the EXP ? As I am looking to not use the clutch lever at all would I be better served with the older Z-Start Pro which, from prior experience , can be used without utilising the clutch lever ?
I must clarify here that the 950 will be used solely on the street !
I'm in the UK and although I have been in contact with the Rekluse importer here they are , I think , relatively new to Rekluse's and cannot comment decisively on whether the LC8 EXP needs the clutch lever retaining or not .
I am hoping that an inmate can provide clarification on this !

Cheers ,

Steve
trikeboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 06:24 AM   #105
cjracer
AWD please!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikeboy1 View Post
Hi Guys,

Apologies for highjacking this thread but I'm after some advice . I'm a disabled rider ( cannot use my right arm/hand due to an accident ) who currently rides a Suzuki DRZ400 supermoto and a Spondon Harley Sportster flattracker which both have Rekluse clutches installed . I've also had a KTM 640 Adventure which also had a Rekluse installed . The ability to ride without the added complication of having to use a clutch lever has been invaluable and personally I think the Rekluse clutches are amazing ! I'm hoping to pick up a KTM 950 Adventure in the not-too-distant future and would like to fit it with one of the new EXP clutches . However, am I right in thinking that unlike the Z-Start Pro's which I've used in the past , you need to retain the clutch lever with the EXP ? As I am looking to not use the clutch lever at all would I be better served with the older Z-Start Pro which, from prior experience , can be used without utilising the clutch lever ?
I must clarify here that the 950 will be used solely on the street !
I'm in the UK and although I have been in contact with the Rekluse importer here they are , I think , relatively new to Rekluse's and cannot comment decisively on whether the LC8 EXP needs the clutch lever retaining or not .
I am hoping that an inmate can provide clarification on this !

Cheers ,

Steve
Hi Steve,

You would be looking for the Z-start Pro as the EXP needs the clutch lever for proper setup. Rekluse is great help and you can email them for more help too.

Great to see that you are still on a bike. Safe travels.