Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-14-2012, 11:33 AM   #1
Bryn OP
Leicester England

Oddometer: 304
Triumph Tiger Explorer- Box Fresh

Picked up the Graphite Explorer yesterday... posted some pictures on another thread.... It's been suggested I share my experience of the beast with you

I did pretty well in that I only test rode the Stratstone Leicester Demo bike a week yesterday... and on the strength of that made my mind up I wanted one last wednesday

Lucky for me that a guy who had paid a deposit on an Explorer last October has disappeared off the face of the earth, and the manager decided he'd sell it to me instead

Picked her up at 4pm yesterday, and only managed a paltry 35 miles onboard in the sunshine before I headed home.....

Initial feeling that the decision to part with a good wedge of cash was the right one..... As the original test bike was run in I was able to explore the 'performance envelope' to a greater degree than my new bike.. and having read plenty on the best way to run in a bike I just decided to keep it down to 3500-4000 rpm and go up and down the box for the first few miles.

Strangely the manual supplied just states

"During the first 500 miles

Don't use full throttle
Avoid high engine speeds at all times
Avoid riding at one constant engine speed, whether fast or slow, for a long period of time
Avoid aggresive starts, stops, and rapid acceleration, except in an emergency
Do not ride at speeds greater than 3/4 of maximum engine speed..."

Ambiguous I'd say

3/4 engine speed will be 7500 rpm

On the tank is a sticker

0-100 miles up to 3500rpm
100-300 miles 5000rpm
300-600 miles 6000rpm
600-800 miles 7000rpm
800-1000 miles 8000rpm

So nothing like the book then

Anyway....Having waited in most of the morning for a guy to turn up for a set of panniers I sold him ( and I fitted them for him)

Went out this afternoon and got the mileage up to 100... the bike seems eager and wants to be revved - but having to show an awful lot of restraint... 4000 rpm is just over 70mph in top ( 6th)

Computer is showing 47mpg but I don't think its any indication... will see how far I go on the odometer before a fill up.. that may give a clue of tank range if you ride like a saint ....Could have done with the heated grips that are on back order as got a bit chilly... and the rad guard is an essential looking at the size of the radiator... one good rock thrown up from the car in front and that'll be the end of your ride ...

Called in at a Honda dealer and viewed the Crosstourer... the SE version is over 13.5K While there had a look at a set of Givi trekker 35 liter panniers... now they looked nice, side openers with a hinged bit at the top for top loading... the guy behind the counter estimates 650 for a set including frames ( when the frames are sorted )
http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct...fexziJcjr-MIVg

Could be a viable alternative to the Triumph ones... which look far too big to me

Got back and washed the bike as I got caught in a storm- those wheels are SO easy to clean compared to the GS spokes

More mileage tomorrow I think

Bryn screwed with this post 04-14-2012 at 12:10 PM
Bryn is offline   Reply With Quote