User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2012, 10:55 AM   #1
brewking OP
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Talking 1150 GS clutch or drive problem advice

Just wondered if anybody has had a similar problem.

Bike is 2000 1150GS with 55,000 miles on the clock, ridden through traffic 55 miles every day.

The original rear shock was sagging badly so I fitted a Hagon rear shock, bought second hand. The rear ride height is now higher. The bike was put in gear so I could take the rear wheel off while on the centre stand. I also had to move the swing arm up and down a lot to get the shock in and the swing arm was allowed to rest dropped all the way down.

The first ride after fitting the rear shock, I noticed that when I pulled the clutch in to change from 4th to 5th, if I let it slip a little, there was a grinding feeling. When the clutch is pulled in and moving at 5th gear speeds, there is a rythmic rattle. Moving along in 4th, 5th and 6th some vibration seems to be coming from the gearbox or clutch area.

The transmission oil is golden and clear. There might be some clutch dust on the outer clutch housing but the bike is filthy so I need to clean it tomorrow and see if this collects again.

I was wondering if it is a bearing problem between the clutch and final drive? Could it be possible that splines are not lined up properly due to letting the swing arm drop or moving the rear wheel while in gear? How can I fault find?

I am not worrying too much and plan to keep riding the bike until the real problem shows up. Just thought the problem might be obvious to someone and I could take a preventative measure.

Thank you for any help
brewking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 11:54 AM   #2
MotorradMike
MIL-TFD-41

Oddometer: 1,009
Have the clutch splines ever been lubed?
You can do a cursory check by removing the starter, disengaging the clutch and rotating the friction disk back and forth.

This guess assumes the shock replacement had nothing to do with it.
If the splines do let go you will be stranded.

BMW R1100RS
MotorradMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 12:55 PM   #3
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer: 7,342
My local BMW tech was able to discern an oncoming problem with my clutch splines by doing just that. Pulling the starter and watching the clutch. There was a lot of play. When he pulled everything apart there was very little left of the splines on the clutch hub and my trans input shaft was shot, too.

I was one good wheelie away from ripping splines out of the clutch hub.
-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.
Schlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 01:42 PM   #4
ivanov13
Weekend Traveler

Oddometer: 43
I guess You have to check your static rear sag (preload). It is possible that the front U-joint on the driveshaft is rubbing against the swingarm.
A gui I know replaced a perfectly good 1150 GSA transmission because the same sympthoms. Then he realized the rear preload was to the max and combined with his 60kg body weight gave the same result.

Ride safe!

Ivan.
Old 04-14-2012, 04:02 PM   #5
brewking OP
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Earlier today I reduced the pre load and the grinding/vibration reduced in the same situations so I am going to further adjust the pre load to see if it cures the problem
brewking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 06:50 PM   #6
FatChance
Road Captain

Oddometer: 10,210
Pre-load should realistically have nothing to do with the real source of any grinding/vibration. Things to consider are the clutch splines, drive shaft condition or proper U-joint alignment, pivot bearing condition or final drive big bearing condition. Put the bike up on the centerstand and see if there is any vertical or horizontal play in the rear wheel. There should be none. Spin the rear wheel and feel for any gritty feel from a worn bearing.

- Calculated risk or forbidden fruit?

FatChance screwed with this post 04-14-2012 at 06:55 PM
FatChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 01:35 AM   #7
Beezer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,567
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=clutch+spline
Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote