ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-14-2012, 11:18 PM   #1
Spud Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Spud Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Idaho
Oddometer: 3,600
XR650L: Spud's Oil Cooler

For a while I have been considering different options to install an inexpensive, well-protected oil cooler for my XR650L. I finally decided to experiment with one of the Long/Tru Cool, power steering coolers sold by Baker Precision.

http://www.bakerprecision.com/trucool.htm

Because I wished to keep the oil lines feeding the cooler well protected, and as short as possible, I decided to purchase the 4x4x3/4, small, power steering cooler, which sells for $29.95. After considering a side mount, I finally decided to mount the oil cooler on the bikes downtube, as high as possible, directly behind the front fender.

I constructed a frame for the oil cooler from 3/4x3/4, aluminum angle stock, and 3/4, aluminum bar stock I purchased from Home Depot. I bolted the oil cooler to the angle stock, and completed the coolers frame by bolting two cross pieces of 3/4 bar stock.

I mounted the bottom of the cooler to the frame with two, 1/4x2 bolts, and a short piece of aluminum behind the downtube. I attached the top of the oil cooler to the frame with a plastic zip tie, which I intend to replace with a steel cable tie.





I purchased SAE J1019, transmission oil hose from a local CarQuest store. I ordered five, 90-degree, brass hose barbs from a local hose supply shop. Since I wanted to install a Trail Tech, TTO Temperature Gauge, I also bought some brass fittings from Fastenal. Most of these fittings are also available at many auto supply stores.

I cut the external oil pipe just above the rubber grommet on the frame, and plumbed the oil line into the bottom of my oil cooler as shown in the photographs below. I plumbed the top line from the oil cooler into the line feeding the oil reservoir in the frame. I installed the temperature probe in the oil line between the engine and the oil cooler so I can get a continuous reading of the oil temperature as it exits the engine, before it enters the oil cooler. I secured the oil hoses to the bikes frame using 5/8 loom clamps I bought from Home Depot. I drilled holes in the front fender, and shimmed the fender down with nylon spacers so it would clear the oil cooler.






























After installing my Spud Cooler, I went on a 110-mile ride to test it.













Im pleased to report the oil cooler works well. I paid approximately $95 to purchase the parts needed to assemble the oil cooler. I spent an additional $50 to plumb the TTO temperature gauge into the oil line. I will continue to report on the effectiveness and durability of this oil cooler as I accumulate more miles riding my XR650L with the oil cooler installed.

Spud
__________________
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 02:29 AM   #2
Sourjon
TAT'erd
 
Sourjon's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Louisville, KY
Oddometer: 2,051
Good job Spud!

John
__________________
Endeavor to suck less--Gaspipe
I would rather be riding an imperfect bike than waiting around for perfection. --JDowns
Sourjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 04:40 AM   #3
Grover6
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Oddometer: 178
Nicely done
Grover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 07:21 AM   #4
tjrockit
One day closer...
 
tjrockit's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Austin, TX
Oddometer: 1,210
Excellent work!!
__________________
2007 Honda XR650L
Dirt Roads within a 100 mile radius of Austin, TX
*** The views or comments I express on this site and/or on any other site/forum/social media are strictly my own and do not reflect any past, current or future employer and/or any organization. They are solely my own personal opinions.***
tjrockit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 07:28 AM   #5
thebigman
bout a dollar 3.98
 
thebigman's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Texas Gulf Coast
Oddometer: 3,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sourjon View Post
Good job Spud!

John
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover6 View Post
Nicely done
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjrockit View Post
Excellent work!!

+ another Spud
__________________
Marko

08 xr650l ,99 xr650l, 10 HDXR1200X ,84atc200s 85atc200s, 80ct110 ,99xr70, 04xr650l ,

Dumb ass people do dumb ass things
thebigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 08:13 AM   #6
Lane_N
Pig Wrangler
 
Lane_N's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Location: Idaho
Oddometer: 87
That looks great Spud! What kind of oil temperatures are you observing now under operating conditions?
Lane_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:12 AM   #7
elsalvadorklr
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: el salvador
Oddometer: 4,076
damn goo job man!

I need to do something like this too...

is that temp reading you took right after shut down after or during the ride and what kind of riding was it?

cheers
elsalvadorklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:19 AM   #8
XRider
Almost Lifelike
 
XRider's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Los Gatos, CA
Oddometer: 1,242
Very nice!
__________________
XR650R Plated Supermoto
XR628R Plated and highly modified
CR500R Still rips after all these beers
RZ350L Kenny Roberts Special
KTM300EXC Plated & So cool
XRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 10:25 AM   #9
Onederer
Crunch Nugget
 
Onederer's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Baha
Oddometer: 692
You have designed in too many points for potential oil leaks, rattles and front suspension interference.

The fender is that close to the frame to allow room for the tire under it during full compression, lowering the fender may allow the tire to contact it, which depends on the tire used. No matter what type of material the strap at the top is, the bracket will most likely vibrate against the frame. For what you paid for all the fittings, you could have bought an inexpensive tubing bender and some tubing, requiring only four short pieces of hose and eight clamps to connect it all. You would still need a double flaring kit, but maybe you could borrow one because that would be expensive for a one time use. The way you mounted the cooler, you have blocked 1/3 of the direct air flow.

The first attempt is often not successful. You made your first attempt, but it is not worth praise, keep trying.
__________________
Crusier riders dress like pirates, sport bike riders dress like Power Rangers and adventure riders dress like Starship Troopers. Dual sport riders are just fashion disasters.
Onederer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 11:51 AM   #10
techforlife
CDI REPAIR
 
techforlife's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Moncton,New Brunswick
Oddometer: 4,166
Holy smokes Spud.....did ya buy stock in a hose clamp factory


Kiddin.........looks quite decent.........how are your clearances when the wheel is turned full left/right........and hows the clearance for the fender and wheel at full compression??????????????

If that checks out it looks good to me...i still like Marks cooler though.........but this is definately cheaper.

Hey.i started a rebuild thread if you`re interested...read along,,,i have a few issues so far..but what doesn`t when you gut something completely apart........

Good job.....know how about a good stereo install.....i`d love to have tunes on my bike going through the woods


B
__________________
01 XR650L,102mm JE 11.25:1..NX650 second gear,FMX650 fifth gear,ported CW head,KW valve train,MegaCycle 173X25.FCR MX pumper.42/158 NVCT needle.Cycra probend CRM,Scott`s sharkfin,Xr`s Only casesaver.FMF "Q2",Sutton Oil Cooler,Clarke 4.0,Red XR`s Only skidplate,Doubletake mirrors,Manracks Rotopax rack..one Minature Schnauzer
techforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 12:07 PM   #11
elsalvadorklr
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: el salvador
Oddometer: 4,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onederer View Post
You have designed in too many points for potential oil leaks, rattles and front suspension interference.

The fender is that close to the frame to allow room for the tire under it during full compression, lowering the fender may allow the tire to contact it, which depends on the tire used. No matter what type of material the strap at the top is, the bracket will most likely vibrate against the frame. For what you paid for all the fittings, you could have bought an inexpensive tubing bender and some tubing, requiring only four short pieces of hose and eight clamps to connect it all. You would still need a double flaring kit, but maybe you could borrow one because that would be expensive for a one time use. The way you mounted the cooler, you have blocked 1/3 of the direct air flow.

The first attempt is often not successful. You made your first attempt, but it is not worth praise, keep trying.
damn a little harsh but I understand your point

I have a question for you

has anybody done or know whats prefferable, airflow over the valve cover/topend OR lower oil temps with the introduction of an oil cooler?

I ask this cause I have done the fender mod like spud using BIGGER less count holes and thought a liitle more airflow is better than not,

I do not have an oil cooler installed though but want to

If anybody has proof or data that will back up this question Id appreciate this

I think this cooler is a great project well made and a lot of thought put into it, yes it needs a little trimming on the tubes and such as I too think its a little much but I think your last sentence was uncalled for...

anyways

to all a happy sunday

christian
elsalvadorklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 01:15 PM   #12
techforlife
CDI REPAIR
 
techforlife's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Moncton,New Brunswick
Oddometer: 4,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by elsalvadorklr View Post
damn a little harsh but I understand your point

I have a question for you

has anybody done or know whats prefferable, airflow over the valve cover/topend OR lower oil temps with the introduction of an oil cooler?

I ask this cause I have done the fender mod like spud using BIGGER less count holes and thought a liitle more airflow is better than not,

I do not have an oil cooler installed though but want to

If anybody has proof or data that will back up this question Id appreciate this

I think this cooler is a great project well made and a lot of thought put into it, yes it needs a little trimming on the tubes and such as I too think its a little much but I think your last sentence was uncalled for...

anyways

to all a happy sunday

christian
Well.........if you vent the back of the fender you get more airflow to the head....that`s a good thing in hot weather......but if you ride in alot of mud then venting the fender causes it`s own issues of caking mud on the fins/head which is really not good.........

A big fin head would probably be the best bet....fins are out farther,catches more air,,venting the fender probably wouldn`t be needed then...depends on how/where you ride i guess...

I know for me,the oil cooler definately stopped the oil from turning charcoal black in 500 miles...that in itself has to be a good thing..

B
__________________
01 XR650L,102mm JE 11.25:1..NX650 second gear,FMX650 fifth gear,ported CW head,KW valve train,MegaCycle 173X25.FCR MX pumper.42/158 NVCT needle.Cycra probend CRM,Scott`s sharkfin,Xr`s Only casesaver.FMF "Q2",Sutton Oil Cooler,Clarke 4.0,Red XR`s Only skidplate,Doubletake mirrors,Manracks Rotopax rack..one Minature Schnauzer
techforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 02:02 PM   #13
purpledrake
No Pretensions
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Seattle-ish
Oddometer: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by therealbigman View Post
+ another Spud
Hey Spud,

Once again, you show your resourcefulness, and ability to keep us all in awe. Very good work.

I have two questions.

First, what problems (overheating) did you encounter that led you to add an oil cooler? I am guessing that the high Idaho desert in the summertime causes problems, but what were they?

The second question regards the placement of the new oil cooler, and access to the spark plug. I don't know about you, but I can barely get my hand in there right now--have you tried to remove the plug since you installed the cooler?

PD
__________________
The Good Lord gave most of us 10 digits; mine are all thumbs.
purpledrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 02:07 PM   #14
elsalvadorklr
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: el salvador
Oddometer: 4,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by techforlife View Post
Well.........if you vent the back of the fender you get more airflow to the head....that`s a good thing in hot weather......but if you ride in alot of mud then venting the fender causes it`s own issues of caking mud on the fins/head which is really not good.........

A big fin head would probably be the best bet....fins are out farther,catches more air,,venting the fender probably wouldn`t be needed then...depends on how/where you ride i guess...

I know for me,the oil cooler definately stopped the oil from turning charcoal black in 500 miles...that in itself has to be a good thing..

B
yeah I vented my fender taking into account that I almost never ride in mud unless I have to...

If I do for some reason I thought about adding screen mesh to the backside and glue it on

my fender is also shorter in the back than stock, its a modded crf250 fender I think

anyways

I wish I could find a tranny oil cooler like spuds that I could mount where the xr250 and xr400 coolers mount as that would be the best, protection wise and airflow wise

someday someday

again spud congrats hope the cooler lasts and it looks like it works well so far...maybe just add a littel protection to the pipes and hoses so they dont get snagged?

cheers
elsalvadorklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 03:14 PM   #15
Spud Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Spud Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Idaho
Oddometer: 3,600
Thank you for the kind words, John, Grover, TJ, and BigMan.

Spud
__________________
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014