Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2012, 12:22 PM   #271
one.nine
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Anyone wanna buy my badlands pro jacket? size XL. Black. email me. mikkjr@gmail.com
its in like new condition.
one.nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 10:42 AM   #272
sideup
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
Badlands vs. Motorport Kevlar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by YetiGS View Post
4. This I do know. I've had an Adventure, now I have a Badlands and I, too, hate being hot. (Yeti's like being cool. ) The Badlands does vent better than the Adventure. If Motoport Kevlar Mesh is a 10, the Badlands is an 8 and the Adventure a 6.5 or 7.
yeti gs:

I have been reading all the reviews of the Motoport Kevlar Mesh but also like the look of the Badlands and also born in Idaho a sentimental favorite.
The Motoport seems to offer better protection for commuting and touring. Having both what is your review of both.
sideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 08:03 PM   #273
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by sideup View Post
yeti gs:

I have been reading all the reviews of the Motoport Kevlar Mesh but also like the look of the Badlands and also born in Idaho a sentimental favorite.
The Motoport seems to offer better protection for commuting and touring. Having both what is your review of both.
For this weekend (WARPED VIII) I would NOT have wanted the Motoport gear.

Yes, I believe the Motoport has more protection, BUT it's not all about the armor. In addition to the padding, there is abrassion resistance. I think they are equal or at least, on par with each other.

Over the past four days, I rode in pouring rain, snow and warm temperatures. The Badlands suit handled it all with zero complaints or issues for me. It kept me dry and warm, was comfortable and, when things warmed up, it vented well and kept me happy. I don't think there is a more versatile suit.
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:09 PM   #274
sideup
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
Quote:
For this weekend (WARPED VIII) I would NOT have wanted the Motoport gear.

Yes, I believe the Motoport has more protection, BUT it's not all about the armor. In addition to the padding, there is abrassion resistance. I think they are equal or at least, on par with each other.

Over the past four days, I rode in pouring rain, snow and warm temperatures. The Badlands suit handled it all with zero complaints or issues for me. It kept me dry and warm, was comfortable and, when things warmed up, it vented well and kept me happy. I don't think there is a more versatile suit.
yeti GS

Thanks for the feedback on the two. I have about 12 k miles on my Olympic MotoX and knock on wood never crash tested. I am leaning toward the Badland just due to the waterproof shell and no zipping liners and such. The motox is very nice on those hot summer days the way the zip down panels work but there is also no front armor.
sideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 06:41 AM   #275
tofire409
Geared up and ready.

Oddometer: 579
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronVonDarrin View Post
Did you get it in black or grey? My hate of being hot is in conflict with my love of black. Ha.

So for those that have black... is it really hotter than any other colour? I have a Joe Rocket Ballistic in red and grey that I will be replacing.

Other than the accent light grey it would appear that the dark grey wouldn't be much better...

I (and I'm sure others) would like your opinions.
tofire409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 08:58 PM   #276
QCRider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
tofire409,

I have been using my black jacket Badlands every day for about 5 or 6 months now in Costa Rica and I don't feel like it's that bad temperature wise, especially while riding with the air vents opened. My previous jacket was a grey BMW Boulder, and I can't say that it was cooler than the black Klim because of the light color, but rather because it's a lighter material. My 0.02. I love the Badlands jacket and pants so far! Not sure if you have paid a visit to Dual Sport Plus yet, but they do carry the Klim gear (dualsportplus.com).

NB: Hope everything is fine back home (TO) with Sandy around the corner.
QCRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 02:14 PM   #277
tofire409
Geared up and ready.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCRider View Post
tofire409,

I have been using my black jacket Badlands every day for about 5 or 6 months now in Costa Rica and I don't feel like it's that bad temperature wise, especially while riding with the air vents opened. My previous jacket was a grey BMW Boulder, and I can't say that it was cooler than the black Klim because of the light color, but rather because it's a lighter material. My 0.02. I love the Badlands jacket and pants so far! Not sure if you have paid a visit to Dual Sport Plus yet, but they do carry the Klim gear (dualsportplus.com).

NB: Hope everything is fine back home (TO) with Sandy around the corner.
Thanks!

I ended up getting the badlands in black (which goes nicely with the traverse pants) in early June. Love the jacket, didn't find it terribly hot this past summer. I thoroughly tested it in the Ontario rain this week
Old 11-02-2012, 10:14 AM   #278
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Oddometer: 6,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofire409 View Post
Thanks!

I ended up getting the badlands in black (which goes nicely with the traverse pants) in early June. Love the jacket, didn't find it terribly hot this past summer. I thoroughly tested it in the Ontario rain this week

I've been slogging through all the threads mentioning the Klim Badlands jacket, and saw that you bought one. I am very seriously considering buying one of these jackets, and was wondering if you would be willing to share what you think about the jacket.

How's it holding up? Comfort?

Also, I've heard that it's pretty heavy hence the kidney belt how heavy is it?

Any thoughts / impressions / suggestions / rants would be appreciated before I drop $900 on a jacket.

There's what people want to hear, there's what people want to believe, there's everything else, then there's the truth!
Mr_Gone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 10:46 AM   #279
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Gone View Post
I've been slogging through all the threads mentioning the Klim Badlands jacket, and saw that you bought one. I am very seriously considering buying one of these jackets, and was wondering if you would be willing to share what you think about the jacket.

Also, I've heard that it's pretty heavy — hence the kidney belt — how heavy is it?

Any thoughts / impressions / suggestions / rants would be appreciated before I drop $900 on a jacket.
Fwiw, I've had mine about a year now, maybe more?

It's holding up very well. I've had to wash it a couple of times (mud) and it's been well-used off road and on. When clean, it still looks brand new. No fraying of anything, all the velcro still sticks like, well, velcro.

Comfort: The only thing I found uncomfortable at first was the collar. It was kind of stiff and annoying. Now that it's broken in (which took about two weeks) it's very, very comfortable.

I don't think it's more heavy than any other well-made jacket. I certainly don't notice it weighing much when I'm wearing it. All well-made jackets seem heavy if you just pick them up. The question is whether they feel heavy when you're wearing it. Compared to my old BMW RP2 or my Aerostitch, when I'm wearing it the Badlands feels lighter.

I don't think the kidney belt is for weight, it's for comfort and to keep the back armor in place. Could be wrong on that though. However, I will say the kidney belt is one of my favourite features as it keeps the jacket in place and aligned so the jacket seems to move with you.

My only gripe is that the waterproof zippers make it tough to work the venting while riding. I can undo the sleeve vents (or zip them up) while riding. Usually, I can un-zip the pit zips while riding too. But no way in hell can I zip the pit zips up while riding and sometimes can't even un-zip them.

Considering that's my only gripe with the jacket, I'd say Klim nailed it.

Oh, one last thing. If I was building the ultimate jacket, I would take the Badlands and add the Adventure jacket's inner harness and waterbladder pocket. Although the harness is a bit much for daily commuting, it is easily removed and unecessary when you're not using the bladder. But I really preferred the Adventure set up to wearing a Camelbak or Kreiga when riding with the Badlands as they sort of hinder the airflow in the jacket. You listening there Klim?
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 12:30 PM   #280
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Oddometer: 6,143
Quote:
I'd say Klim nailed it.
Thank you, sir! I appreciate your write-up on the jacket. Exactly what I was looking for.

I do believe a Badlands is in my immediate future.

There's what people want to hear, there's what people want to believe, there's everything else, then there's the truth!
Mr_Gone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 05:24 AM   #281
SMURPH
Jackass

Oddometer: 386
Quote:
Thank you, sir! I appreciate your write-up on the jacket. Exactly what I was looking for.

I do believe a Badlands is in my immediate future.
Me too. Me too!!!
Blog > http://tinyurl.com/lnqkh4j
SMURPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 03:20 PM   #282
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,582
I've had mine for about 3 months now and love it. I came from having a Rallye 3 for a year and then a Latitude and Latitude Misano. None of them compare to the durability of the Badlands fabric. It's tough as nails but i find it about as heavy as my R3 jacket, but never put them on a scale so I could be wrong. The thumb loops on the sleeve are awesome in the cold and the Velcro tabs to hold open the collar are great in warm weather. I'm not too crazy about the chest pads, but I take them out when riding around town. It definitely breathes better than the Latitude, but I'm pretty sure it'll be out away for summer he in AZ. I bought mine used for $650 from an inmate who claimed to have worn it once and after having used it for the past 3 months, I'm certain I would pay full price for it if I had to. Realistically, it could probably be passed down to your kids because its so damn tough.
Hikertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:32 AM   #283
tofire409
Geared up and ready.

Quote:

Also, I've heard that it's pretty heavy — hence the kidney belt — how heavy is it?

Sorry I missed the post, not sure what happened

Bought mine in the beginning of June this year.

I don't know if I can add much to what has already been said, but here's my 2 cents...

I really like this jacket! The weight disappears when you put it on, very well balanced. You will find that it's the armour that adds the weight, the kidney belt helps keep everything in place.

The water proof guarantee is fantastic. Warm with the right layers, not super hot in the summer. It's my only jacket all year long.

The only thing that I should email Klim about is this: the collar could use a second velcro tab on the outside and get rid of the two inside tabs that are a bit scratchy till they wear in or you get used to it. A way to integrate a water pack would be great. But it's not horrible with a Greigerrig RIG 500.

I would buy this jacket again in a heartbeat, no question!!
Old 12-30-2012, 01:21 PM   #284
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,582
Quote:
A way to integrate a water pack would be great. But it's not horrible with a Greigerrig RIG 500.
It does. The pocket is behind the back armor and the tube will route up under the right arm and through the small hose hole in the top right front pocket.
Hikertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 03:18 PM   #285
DRRambler
AKA Albertastrom

Oddometer: 837
I love mine too

I'll echo all the feedback with regards to the collar. It has taken a while to get used to it. I found that if not paying attention when I put the jacket on, the collar can fold under and cause some discomfort. Easy enough to deal with. The kidney belt is great. I wear one anyway so with the built in belt I don't worry about leaving it behind somewhere. It also helps to keep the jacket fitting nice and snug if I want it to be. The cuffs....what can I say but a little annoying. I'll be removing them.
The space for a hydration pack was an afterthought and it really isn't convenient to re-fill a bladder but it is nonetheless there if you need it.

Badlands Pro Jacket Hydration system
DRRambler is offline   Reply With Quote