Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2012, 01:12 PM   #16
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,830
I have always trickle charged my batteries but I have never left them hooked up to an automated charger because I have seen them not work as they were intended to too many times. I just hook up my regular charger set for slow charge for a day or two every once in a while but I am still running wet cell batteries.

I would run AGM if I could find them the same size and with the same posts and the BMW 19 amp battery. I am in the market right now. Maybe I'll look again for something that will fit right.
supershaft is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:07 PM   #17
Thickasabrick
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Westco

I found this in the IBMWR by Snowbum.....it mentions leaving a charger on for long periods and overcharging.

http://ibmwr.org/prodreview/westco.html
Thickasabrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:39 AM   #18
Boxer Metal
Mad Scientist

Oddometer: 3,420
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
The original mission of Westco batteries is hospital emergency lighting.

They're not designed for automotive use let alone to fit a BMW.
That is incorrect. Their line of batteries are designed for motorcycles and they offer one car battery.
VBMWMO #7770, BMW MOA #48694 & Airhead BMW Club #600
Boxer Metal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:56 AM   #19
Moonshiner
aka "B-dog"

Oddometer: 183
I had a Westco last a whopping 2 years in my '77 R100S. My experience with AGM batteries is one day they're OK and the next day, they're completely gone. Back in 2007, went on a 5 day riding excursion. No issues. Parked the bike, didn't ride for a few days, turned the key and the fricking dash lights wouldn't even flicker. It was completely gone, unchargeable.

I'm now running a Batteries Plus AGM in my remaining airhead. So far, so good. Next time, I'll probably go the Odyssey route, though.
Old 01-04-2013, 04:22 PM   #20
saddlsor
my butt hurts

Oddometer: 334
here is a battery that I put in my r80 2 years ago. it's not the same brand but probably made in the same chinese factory. I bought it from a local starter shop for $42. been doing a good job and still holds good voltage so I expect it to last for a while longer. I realize it's not the correct application, but what can I say, it does the job. a guy I know had put the same thing in his 1150. the battery that came out of it was a westco and the replacement battery looked exactly the same going by the case. I'm sure internally they are different but who knows. just a heads up for someone looking for something a little cheaper and isn't afraid to give it a try. as far as charging goes, I stick a 1/2 amp charger on it about once a month in the winter for a day just to top it off. in the summer I don't bother with any charging, figure I ride it enough for that.

99 dr350
78 r80

saddlsor screwed with this post 01-04-2013 at 04:31 PM
saddlsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:30 PM   #21
100RT
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 629
Westco's used to be rebadged Panasonic's. That is no longer the case.
100RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:41 PM   #22
Sport
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by craydds View Post
Wow, sounds like you've had troubles! I have a WestCo battery that is still good after 9 years.
Me too! It lasted nine years in my 79 CBX and was always on a Deltran Jr when not in use.
Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:33 AM   #23
Gillus
High Desert Rat

Oddometer: 727
I leave all my bike, car and deep cycle batteries on maintainers if they sit unused. They consistently test 13.2 on a $20.00 walmart charger, 12.9 on a battery tender jr and 13.4 on a harbor freight cheapo. I have small green lights glowing all over my garage.

The Walmart charger will charge 14+ volts till the battery reaches 100% then drops to 13.2.
It is good to test the voltage and keep an eye on the water level.

In a previous life the rule was a good battery was 12.6/7 at rest, and 13.9 to 14.5 when the engine is running and charging depending on load.

Sorry this doesn't comment on Wesco batteries but overcharging on a trickle/maintainer could be a problems if it is overcharging.
Gillus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:21 AM   #24
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 13,328
Don't know if mine is an old panasonic or one of the new POS's..

Here's a video I shot this morning.

I misspeak in the video, the ride was the beginning of september, so the bike has only been sitting 4 months. No trickle charger or anything like that, though I will probably put it on one overnight tonight. Sometimes I top the batteries on my sitting bikes once during the winter.

Date written on the battery is 9/2008, so she's 4 year and 3 months old.
Where the fuck is the road?

Boon Booni screwed with this post 01-06-2013 at 09:48 AM
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:08 PM   #25
CanteenBoy
Slammin' the ol' Jammer

Oddometer: 175
Mine worked fine for about 3.5 years, then failed suddenly without warning after a ride home from work....never gave the first signs it was going bad.
CanteenBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:47 PM   #26
FJ_Kevin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 365
Thumbs down Westco

I had two westco's in my airhead. 1st one went just over a year.

Dealer I bought it from asked Westco for help but Westco refused .
Wanting to ride the thing that day I purchased a replacement Westco. That one went about 3 years.

My 1st westco in my miata was OK. The 2nd miata westco didnt last so long for the price paid.

I think the quality is spotty at best. Personally, I have had enough of Westco's and wont buy them anymore.

My Vintage Husqvarna/Motocross Restoration Extravaganza Thread
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=964670
FJ_Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:45 PM   #27
DoktorT
BigBrowedNeandereer

Oddometer: 1,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonshiner View Post
I'm now running a Batteries Plus AGM in my remaining airhead.
I installed one of those last summer. It is stored cold and dry for winter no charging at all. We will see how it tests out this spring.

I got less than 2 years out of both an Odyssey and an Interstate. I tried a Westco. Took it home, charged to full charge, gave it the load test. Would not rebound to new battery spec. Took it right back. They confirmed it was weak brand new off the shelf.
DoktorT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:15 PM   #28
Boxer Metal
Mad Scientist

Interesting thread with everyone bashing Westco batteries. I bet I've sold 3 or 4 thousand of them over a 10 year period with less than 1.5% avaerage failure rate according to Westco. So a small handful of you are having issues. Your a pretty small percentage. I wonder what the rest of the battery manufactures percentage of failure is?
Old 01-11-2013, 11:42 PM   #29
Boxer Metal
Mad Scientist

Interesting thread with everyone bashing Westco batteries. I bet I've sold 2 or 3 thousand of them over a 10 year period with less than 1.5% avaerage failure rate according to Westco. So a small handful of you are having issues. Your a pretty small percentage. I wonder what the rest of the battery manufactures percentage of failure is?
Old 01-12-2013, 11:41 PM   #30
DoktorT
BigBrowedNeandereer

Oddometer: 1,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmweuro View Post
Interesting thread with everyone bashing Westco batteries. I bet I've sold 2 or 3 thousand of them over a 10 year period with less than 1.5% avaerage failure rate according to Westco. So a small handful of you are having issues. Your a pretty small percentage. I wonder what the rest of the battery manufactures percentage of failure is?
You misinterpret, as least in my case. I did no bashing at all of Westco Batteries. I reported facts on the one battery I had my hands on. I've seen one that was defective. I also mentioned 2 other brands that were short lived. It is just us 1.5%ers reporting evidently.
DoktorT is offline   Reply With Quote