Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 82 votes, 4.90 average. Display Modes
Old 03-27-2012, 08:24 AM   #1396
Sam Buca
a.k.a. Daniel

Oddometer: 2,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDuc View Post
Enough words. Time for more pics!

Met this crazy Spanish girl at a symposium on Resurrection Bay a few years ago. Comet and I both took a liking to her.

Mmmmmmmmmmmm!!! I am going to Spain in July

Sam Buca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 08:20 AM   #1397
ImaPoser
adventure imposter

Oddometer: 15,554
Quote:
Originally Posted by batoutoflahonda View Post
I'm looking at getting a Kayak here in the next couple of months. Mostly for the lakes and larger rivers around Easton Wa, and lake Washington. I like the Eddyline boats and have narrowed it down the Sky 10' or Skylark 12'. There aren't many reviews on the 10', but the 12' every one likes. Has any one tried the Sky 10? Any other feed back would be cool too.

Thanks
Not a single reply?
I'm interested in the exact same thing, a beginners boat for lake, and mild river use.I'm trying to get my hobbies to be more human powered and less gas powered. My bicycle now gets way more miles than my motorcycle, and I'd like to do the same to my boat (that currently burns a couple hundred bucks worth of fuel most weekend....)
Anyone?

Save 20% when you open your own smugmug account. Just go here...
ImaPoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:22 AM   #1398
Sam Buca
a.k.a. Daniel

Oddometer: 2,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaPoser View Post
Not a single reply?
I'm interested in the exact same thing, a beginners boat for lake, and mild river use.I'm trying to get my hobbies to be more human powered and less gas powered. My bicycle now gets way more miles than my motorcycle, and I'd like to do the same to my boat (that currently burns a couple hundred bucks worth of fuel most weekend....)
Anyone?
Good reference for most kayaks out there: http://www.paddling.net/

More specifically: http://www.paddling.net/buyersguide/...ufacturerID=45
With reviews here: http://www.paddling.net/Reviews/ The Sky and Skyark is not reviewed yet.

Hope this helps...

Sam Buca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 02:14 PM   #1399
AKDuc
Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer: 6,516
Quote:
Not a single reply?
I'm interested in the exact same thing, a beginners boat for lake, and mild river use.I'm trying to get my hobbies to be more human powered and less gas powered.
Yeah, I'm big into a lot of human powered fun too.

As far as recreational boats goes, there are just so many to choose from these days. If you can get to a shop that has a good selection you can talk about 'em with a salesperson and sit in them to see how it feels to you and your body shape. IMO you can do this with a boat on the floor without having to be in water. If you're comfy in your boat you'll prolly have more fun.

Here's a link to a bunch with pics and specs. Good luck and have fun, Mark H.
AKDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 03:27 PM   #1400
Bill the Duck
Unwitting Accomplice

Oddometer: 10,854
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDuc View Post
Yeah, I'm big into a lot of human powered fun too.

As far as recreational boats goes, there are just so many to choose from these days. If you can get to a shop that has a good selection you can talk about 'em with a salesperson and sit in them to see how it feels to you and your body shape. IMO you can do this with a boat on the floor without having to be in water. If you're comfy in your boat you'll prolly have more fun.

Here's a link to a bunch with pics and specs. Good luck and have fun, Mark H.
Stay away from the inflatable. I tried it, even with the optional keel pole thingy. It ends up being wide with a hull shape that conforms to your butt, i.e. not very hydrodynamic and thus sloooooow. Still, if your primary criteria were space, or being able to take your boat to a lake on your MC, this could be an option.
Old 04-15-2012, 03:28 PM   #1401
Bill the Duck
Unwitting Accomplice

Oddometer: 10,854
Quote:
Not a single reply?
Yeah, you'd think this wasn't a kayak forum.

Oh, wait.

Old 04-15-2012, 04:05 PM   #1402
arkansawyer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,887
I'm definitely not a kayak snob, but some of the department store rec boats are just too flimsy. If the hull can be compressed with my hands, like squeezing a one quart oil jug, it's really one step above a pool toy. Got to have foot braces (foot pegs). You are the engine so your butt will tend to slide forward without them. Got to have foam floatation in the ends.
I found a used boat at a garage sale and I am happy. Avoid boats kept outside, UV rays kill plastic just like on bikes.

Wear a pfd, know how to swim, stay out of the water when it's cold at first, safety is common sense just like on a bike.

I was scared about being trapped in an upside down boat at first. In 4' water with a friend wading right there I turned my boat over on purpose. Every single time I fell right out.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:19 AM   #1403
HardCase
winter is coming

Oddometer: 9,860
Quote:
Originally Posted by arkansawyer View Post
I'm definitely not a kayak snob, but some of the department store rec boats are just too flimsy. If the hull can be compressed with my hands, like squeezing a one quart oil jug, it's really one step above a pool toy. Got to have foot braces (foot pegs). You are the engine so your butt will tend to slide forward without them. Got to have foam floatation in the ends.
I found a used boat at a garage sale and I am happy. Avoid boats kept outside, UV rays kill plastic just like on bikes.

Wear a pfd, know how to swim, stay out of the water when it's cold at first, safety is common sense just like on a bike.

I was scared about being trapped in an upside down boat at first. In 4' water with a friend wading right there I turned my boat over on purpose. Every single time I fell right out.
Good advice. Almost everyone is fearful of being "trapped upside-down" in a capsized boat until they become familiar with them. It's pretty funny how quickly and easily you pop out of there in a capsize, actually. In fact, I had to fight that when I was learning to Eskimo-roll.

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 06:03 AM   #1404
McB
Joe 40 ouncer

Oddometer: 15,425
Quote:
Not a single reply?
Anyone?
I found a Wilderness Systems Pungo on cl a couple of years ago. Marketed as a fishing/recreational kayak, but I don't fish. What you get is a roomier cockpit and a bit more stability than some of the sleeker units, without losing much in maneuverability or speed. Mostly lake use, but planning to take it on the (slow) Kansas River this summer. On faster water, it might not be as responsive as you'd want, but for mild stuff it should do fine.

http://www.kcpaddler.com/inc/sdetail/192/220

Wife has a Wilderness Systems Tsunami, which she loves. My overweight ass doesn't like getting in and out of it as well as the Pungo, and she can't outrun me with it.
McB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 06:27 AM   #1405
pilot
Slacker Moderator

Oddometer: 30,993
KC Paddler is having the spring demo day this Saturday. Its a great chance to try out a whole slew of boats. It can get expensive, though.
Old 04-19-2012, 07:58 PM   #1406
McB
Joe 40 ouncer

Oddometer: 15,425
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot View Post
KC Paddler is having the spring demo day this Saturday. Its a great chance to try out a whole slew of boats. It can get expensive, though.
Yep. Got the email today. We did indeed spend some money after a couple of them. Wife got the Tsunami, then the kid got an Acadia Scout (great kid's kayak which may be for sale this summer). I went the KLR C.B route and bought mine used for 30% of list.
McB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 07:47 AM   #1407
Yostwerks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
Here's my latest homebuilt Greenland style folder (Falco 16) . Since all parts fold inside the boat rather than being a take-apart like commercial folders,
assembly requires just 6 minutes. The smaller version (Falco 12) assembles in under 4 minutes.

Other than the keel there are no stringers, just hinged plywood hull sides with a PVC deck and hull bottom.

I started designing and building folding kayaks years ago specifically to combine riding and kayaking.

Tom

Falco 12 at the lake...

Falco 12 before attaching the PVC deck, hinged deckridge, and folding coaming.

The Sprint doing what it does best .... Everything

The toy box !

Yostwerks screwed with this post 04-27-2012 at 08:18 AM
Yostwerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 11:57 AM   #1408
AKDuc
Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer: 6,516
Yostwerks, all very VERY impressive, your boats, bikes and garage!

You must really have the mfg of the boats down to sell them for so cheap.

Are you able to brace well inside the boat and does the cockpit coaming hold a skirt tightly?

I'm interested in more info. Very nice. What a great idea.

Thanks for sharing. Mark H.
AKDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 10:39 PM   #1409
Yostwerks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
Quote:
Yostwerks, all very VERY impressive, your boats, bikes and garage!

You must really have the mfg of the boats down to sell them for so cheap.

Are you able to brace well inside the boat and does the cockpit coaming hold a skirt tightly?

I'm interested in more info. Very nice. What a great idea.

Thanks for sharing. Mark H.
Thanks Mark ! The cost is for building materials only as I sell nothing.

My free website provides design drawings, offsets, and building instructions
for numerous kayaks I've designed though the latest Falco folders will not
be included in the manual until they are thoroughly tested.

http://www.yostwerks.com/ - kayak building manuals ( 3 types of SOF kayaks)

The Falco's are not yet set up for bracing / rolling, but that can easily be done. The coaming is 1/2" aluminum
tubing which holds both a sea sock and spray skirt very securely.

Regards, Tom

Here's a couple of different style folders I've designed ... Aluminum / HDPE frames and PVC skins

Sea Glider PVC skin with aluminum tube coaming..

A Sea Rover folding kayak at the Greenland National Championship rolling competition

A Nikumi Iqyax non folding wood frame with clear vinyl skin ....

Nikumi Iqyax ( Baidarka)

Here's my Sea Bee woodstrip. It's unusual in that it's built using no fiberglass. Instead, two layers of woodstrips are glued together using only epoxy resin.

Yostwerks screwed with this post 04-27-2012 at 11:11 PM
Yostwerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 01:32 AM   #1410
Achiii
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 417
Hey Tom,

Its totally awesome to run into your posts here on adv. Ive been eyeing your designs for a few years now. Beautiful designs, really wonderful website.

I built a S+G guillemot night heron a few years ago and really want to move on to one of your designs. I no longer really have space to build, so Ive been hoping to organize some people to build some together at my new paddling club.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: