ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-15-2012, 03:08 PM   #1
rubRsidedown OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
rubRsidedown's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Maineiacationland, USA
Oddometer: 2,700
Question 05 950 issue. Cant anyone help out?

I'm HOPING you guys can lend a hand here.

I have an issue going on with my 2005 KTM 950 ADVenture.
The problem is this, at 3000 rpms it stumbles and falls on it's face. It ends up running on one cyl if I hold it at 3000 rpms too long.
Above and below 3 grand it seems to run fine though.

Last week I performed an oil change on it and all went well (or so I thought. It's not my first time changing the oil in this bike either BTW).
I put about 70 miles on the bike after the oil change and now I'm wondering if it's something I did that caused this issue.
I rode the bike before the oil change for 150-200 miles and it went A-OK.

This afternoon I got gas (along with my Wife and her 650 GS) 93 octane and within 65 miles it started running weird. Her runs fine.
At first I thought, Ahhhh I left a fuel petcock off and it's running out of fuel. Pulled over on the side of the road to check, Nope, checked them both and they were open.

Anyone with some insight on this issue would be great.

One question, when the fuel pumps fail on these bikes do they go all at once or is this something they do?

Thanks in advance.
__________________
Jeff B In Maine
05.5 KTM 950 Adventure Black, Mine
06 BMW F650GS Electric Orange, Hers
"We don't quit playing because we grow old, we grow old because we quit playing."
rubRsidedown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 03:10 PM   #2
rubRsidedown OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
rubRsidedown's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Maineiacationland, USA
Oddometer: 2,700
Update

I just removed the left side fuel tank to make sure I didn't somehow pinch a vent line. Nope, everthing looked fine.
__________________
Jeff B In Maine
05.5 KTM 950 Adventure Black, Mine
06 BMW F650GS Electric Orange, Hers
"We don't quit playing because we grow old, we grow old because we quit playing."
rubRsidedown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 03:56 PM   #3
AdvGa
Beastly Adventurer
 
AdvGa's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Atlanta Metro
Oddometer: 1,320
One thing you may want to look at is getting some OIL on your Voltage Regulator Connections.
AdvGa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 04:53 PM   #4
Gustavo.Ramos
Studly Adventurer
 
Gustavo.Ramos's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Accross the pond
Oddometer: 850
Check the intake boots, may have an air leak. Take the airbox off, start the engine and see if both slides go up at the same time.

Damaged diaphragm can do alot of weird things.
__________________
Growing old is mandatory... growing up is optional!

Raid de L'Amitié 2011 RR (link)
690R
Gustavo.Ramos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 05:00 PM   #5
rubRsidedown OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
rubRsidedown's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Maineiacationland, USA
Oddometer: 2,700
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdvGa View Post
One thing you may want to look at is getting some OIL on your Voltage Regulator Connections.
Voltage regulator and connnections are dry.

I will have to dig into the airbox tomorrow.

Thanks

Any other suggestions?

I'm ALL ears.
__________________
Jeff B In Maine
05.5 KTM 950 Adventure Black, Mine
06 BMW F650GS Electric Orange, Hers
"We don't quit playing because we grow old, we grow old because we quit playing."
rubRsidedown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 05:12 PM   #6
ridewestKTM
Beastly Adventurer
 
ridewestKTM's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: now in Katy TX
Oddometer: 1,695
problems

the fuel pump can be intermittent. That might be the problem. I don't think it's the VR but those are a problem. Withount more discription, I would think it's the fuel pump. Other things are possible floats needing adjusted ... but address the FP because you will anyway. Dr Bean's or my kit- I have a few left. Or just buy new points.

If you got it missing put a tire pump on the tank vent(s) and pump some air in it will push fuel past the pump and if that works it's the fuel pump.
__________________
My 950KTM makes me feel like a little kid again......because it's so tall!
ridewestKTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 05:40 PM   #7
kingrj
Gnarly Adventurer
 
kingrj's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Hattiesburg, Mississippi
Oddometer: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubRsidedown View Post
I'm HOPING you guys can lend a hand here.

I have an issue going on with my 2005 KTM 950 ADVenture.
The problem is this, at 3000 rpms it stumbles and falls on it's face. It ends up running on one cyl if I hold it at 3000 rpms too long.
Above and below 3 grand it seems to run fine though.

Last week I performed an oil change on it and all went well (or so I thought. It's not my first time changing the oil in this bike either BTW).



I put about 70 miles on the bike after the oil change and now I'm wondering if it's something I did that caused this issue.
I rode the bike before the oil change for 150-200 miles and it went A-OK.

This afternoon I got gas (along with my Wife and her 650 GS) 93 octane and within 65 miles it started running weird. Her runs fine.
At first I thought, Ahhhh I left a fuel petcock off and it's running out of fuel. Pulled over on the side of the road to check, Nope, checked them both and they were open.

Anyone with some insight on this issue would be great.

One question, when the fuel pumps fail on these bikes do they go all at once or is this something they do?

Thanks in advance.
My guess is a partially plugged slow jet in one or both carbs. If it went on one cylinder at 3000 and higher I would say bad spark coil but the fact that it gets ok when he needle jet goes higher up makes me thing fuel mixture. It could also be the diaphragm in one of the carbs that is leaking or a slide sticking in a carb doing this. It is all air, fuel and spark..one of those and it sounds like a general carb cleaning and inspection may solve your problem.
kingrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 05:43 PM   #8
Crashed Bad
Big man, little bike
 
Crashed Bad's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: Set the controls for the heart of the sun
Oddometer: 2,195
Check that you opened both fuel petcocks.
__________________
Nothing upsets a woman like a man at leisure.
Crashed Bad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 05:54 PM   #9
AdvGa
Beastly Adventurer
 
AdvGa's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Atlanta Metro
Oddometer: 1,320
If you have a Fuel Filter you added, you may have a Clogged Fuel Filter that is restricting your Fuel Flow.
AdvGa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 08:12 PM   #10
sstewart
Beastly Adventurer
 
sstewart's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Boaz,Alabama
Oddometer: 1,056
Carbs

Inspect diaphragms,we had one that dealt us misery. Inspect completely.
sstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 08:24 PM   #11
Deuce
Crazy Canuck
 
Deuce's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2001
Location: Vancouver Island, Bitchin' Columbia, Canada
Oddometer: 2,766
I bet you a dollar's worth of donut holes it's the fuel pump. Mine did the same thing. Take the cover off the end of the pump and file the points with a finger nail file or something similar. Then order some new points or change them to a Mr.Bean type system.
__________________
I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.
-- Winnie the Pooh
Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 05:33 AM   #12
rubRsidedown OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
rubRsidedown's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Maineiacationland, USA
Oddometer: 2,700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
I bet you a dollar's worth of donut holes it's the fuel pump. Mine did the same thing. Take the cover off the end of the pump and file the points with a finger nail file or something similar. Then order some new points or change them to a Mr.Bean type system.

3000 rpms and yours fould fall on it's face as well but above that and below that it seemed fine?

Mr Beans is the better of all options out there?
I kind of like the Mikuni type because it's just like a snowmobile and
they are VERY simple, I like simple.

Thanks
Jeff
__________________
Jeff B In Maine
05.5 KTM 950 Adventure Black, Mine
06 BMW F650GS Electric Orange, Hers
"We don't quit playing because we grow old, we grow old because we quit playing."
rubRsidedown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 05:54 PM   #13
rubRsidedown OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
rubRsidedown's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Maineiacationland, USA
Oddometer: 2,700
Fuel pump pics.








__________________
Jeff B In Maine
05.5 KTM 950 Adventure Black, Mine
06 BMW F650GS Electric Orange, Hers
"We don't quit playing because we grow old, we grow old because we quit playing."
rubRsidedown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:37 PM   #14
kingrj
Gnarly Adventurer
 
kingrj's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Hattiesburg, Mississippi
Oddometer: 398
Dude...if it was fuel pump it wouldn't pull good at high RPM's..you got a carb problem. Take them off and clean the jets and check the diaphragms...Please!
kingrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 04:51 AM   #15
rubRsidedown OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
rubRsidedown's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Maineiacationland, USA
Oddometer: 2,700
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingrj View Post
Dude...if it was fuel pump it wouldn't pull good at high RPM's..you got a carb problem. Take them off and clean the jets and check the diaphragms...Please!
Yup, under construction.
Will be doing that this week.

Thanks
__________________
Jeff B In Maine
05.5 KTM 950 Adventure Black, Mine
06 BMW F650GS Electric Orange, Hers
"We don't quit playing because we grow old, we grow old because we quit playing."
rubRsidedown is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014