User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2012, 10:31 PM   #1
kaltblitz OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Any reason not to buy a Superduke?

So I asked about the Speed Triple a few threads down. I'm now also contemplating a Superduke. Any reason not to buy one of these? Seems like it might fit my height better.
kaltblitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 03:42 AM   #2
C/1/509
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,415
Timing maybe? There's supposed to be an update in the works to be released next year. Do a search on it if you haven't yet. I haven't ridden one - I always wanted to - but my Supermoto was fun.
C/1/509 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 04:18 AM   #3
High_Side
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 191
None. I have had no issues with mine over the past few years and it still puts a grin on my face every time I ride it. Even on the way home from demoing a Streetfighter, the Superduke just kicks ass. It's amazingly comfy too, and gets good range. If I had to nit-pick for issues, on hyper-speed runs keeping up to full on sportbikes without a fairing is a challenge and it starts to run out of steam earlier. At anything less than that however it keeps up with all of 'em with ease. I can't think of any naked bike that I would rather have right now.
High_Side is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 06:44 AM   #4
Superbikemike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
Wink my two cents...

having owned mine for going on 5 yrs... i can report the suspension is the BEST stock suspenended bike i have ever owned... the WP suspension is AWESOME!!! and i have ohlins on my bmw... as stated above it does run out of steam in the upper rpm range, nuttin that can't be reeled back in, in the next series of corners... the bike is brilliant thru the corners, especially with the motocross style bars, these bars are great on the street...
Old 04-15-2012, 07:40 AM   #5
aGremlin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 467
Test rode an 08, found the clutch too stiff if you're riding around town.

Avoid like the plague if you like obeying the law, they're hooligan bikes!
aGremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 07:51 AM   #6
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,441
If you get one without the do a wheelie & a Stoppie every time it sees a LEO pre-programed in option then, NO, no reason at all.

The seat.... You will likely need to do something with the seat.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:01 AM   #7
sebastianp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 248
I want one so badly, but was put off by the shitty fuelling and horrific fuel consumption.
sebastianp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 07:57 PM   #8
High_Side
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastianp View Post
I want one so badly, but was put off by the shitty fuelling and horrific fuel consumption.
The throttle is snatchy but you can get used to it. I've hit 260 km out of a tank when taking it relatively easy (not an easy thing to do). How much more do you need from a hooligan bike??? The standard model is better in both regards than the R model.
High_Side is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 07:58 PM   #9
Newbusa
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 558
Quote:
My 07 with PC and full Akro system is perfect.
Old 04-16-2012, 01:28 AM   #10
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 6,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Side View Post
The throttle is snatchy but you can get used to it. I've hit 260 km out of a tank when taking it relatively easy (not an easy thing to do). How much more do you need from a hooligan bike??? The standard model is better in both regards than the R model.

Yeah I didn't buy the Super Duke R for that reason. When I pointed out that the FI was hunting pretty badly at like 30mph "they are all like that" is NOT the answer I was looking for in a $16,000 bike. Nor was I spending that and having to take a new bike home and tear into it to see why the hell it sucked at low (and I mean sub-3000) RPM.

Worked out though, I ended up keeping the Speed Triple and getting my Daytona. Win-Win for me.
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 06:06 AM   #11
sebastianp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 248
Doesn't make sense that a twin should run so badly low down, especially when the current triples and inline-4's work so damn well all up and down the rev-range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Side View Post
I can get 400km from my 19L tank in my K1300R, and that's far more powerful, heavier and torquier than the KTM.

Still, the Superduke is as close to perfect a motorcycle you can get (for me). Just wish it was better behaved with respect to fuelling. I'm really hesitant on the CC bump in the upcoming Superduke too, it's supposed to be a street oriented machine, not a naked superbike. Here's hoping.
sebastianp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:21 AM   #12
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 6,738
Quote:
Doesn't make sense that a twin should run so badly low down, especially when the current triples and inline-4's work so damn well all up and down the rev-range.

I can get 400km from my 19L tank in my K1300R, and that's far more powerful, heavier and torquier than the KTM.

Still, the Superduke is as close to perfect a motorcycle you can get (for me). Just wish it was better behaved with respect to fuelling. I'm really hesitant on the CC bump in the upcoming Superduke too, it's supposed to be a street oriented machine, not a naked superbike. Here's hoping.
Its simply a matter of standardizing the lines. It costs KTM less to make all of the LC8s the same displacement as the RC8R, rather than having to keep separate lines that all require different internals.

.....and you can never have too much power.

The fact is the bike is supposed to have world class performance and you have Street Fighters, RSV4 derived Tuonos and the new Brutale making it look like a Speed Triple. Since they are pricing against the higher end, it makes sense for them to step up the game a bit anyway.

No one ever faulted the chassis or suspension, those are both home runs...the fueling needed a bit of help though.
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:26 AM   #13
gixxersteph
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 603
My fueling is pretty well sorted now.

I have a set of Leo Vince's, secondary butterflies removed and tuned using TuneEcu (free program - just buy / borrow a cable). It's certainly the funnest bike I've ever had.

It's thirsty, but no more than the BMW K1200RS or GSXR1000 that proceeded it. I bought it as a left over and will agree that at the list price that was asked for (14,000 plus USD) it was too dear for me. Knock $5000 off that cost and it made it worthwhile for me.

Used ones with little mileage and nice mods can be had for $7,000 or so. I recommend you ride one first. I'd looked at the Speed Triple but I am happy where I ended up, 17,500 miles into the ride.....
gixxersteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:19 PM   #14
fast4d
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,009
I recommend the superduke as well.

my superduke R now has 37k miles. almost trouble free. warped brake rotor and slightly warped fuel tank.

you need to do preventative maintenance such as waterpump rebuilt and fuel filters. neither gave me any issues when I first rebuilt the waterpump @ 18k and fuel filters @ 28k.
2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
2013 KTM SMT 990
fast4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:33 PM   #15
Bald Kirk
Dances with Dirt Bikes

Oddometer: 738
Quote:
The fuel injection on mine was perfect. It didn't get the best fuel mileage but that isn't why I bought the bike.

Of all the bikes I have ever owned the Super Duke was the best handling. In the hands of a skilled rider on a tight curvy technical road there arn't many bikes that can keep up with this thing.

The only complaint I would have is the Super Duke could use a little more horsepower in my opinion. If it had about 10 or 15 more I would say the bike would be perfect. Then again this is almost always the case with me!

Bald Kirk screwed with this post 04-16-2012 at 12:51 PM
Bald Kirk is online now   Reply With Quote