Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2012, 09:46 AM   #136
BaronVonDarrin
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by syzygy9 View Post
Has it actually been confirmed that it is ethanol blended fuels (or more precisely the water absorbed within) that is causing the swelling problem with these tanks? Has anyone had the same issue while using only pure non- blended fuels.

On another note has anyone had any success on really drying these tanks out? (ie. leaving empty for a week under a dry hot sun?).
It would be nice for safari, or someone else, to conduct some trials to determine if the ethanol is the variable the swelling is attributed to.
Old 04-17-2012, 06:37 PM   #137
MAXVERT
Rough Rider

Oddometer: 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronVonDarrin View Post
It would be nice for safari, or someone else, to conduct some trials to determine if the ethanol is the variable the swelling is attributed to.
I'm fairly sure it's not the ethanol gas that's the issue.
I got one of the first sets of Safari tanks for my 990A.
They have over 60,000 mi. on them and have been
from Alaska to TDF and throughout Europe and across Russia
into China.

With the exception of Brazil, the U.S. is the only place that screws
up the gas with alcohol.

It didn't matter what gas I used the tanks stayed swollen,
stickers bubbled and fell off and it was a bitch to reinstall them.
Over time the swelling seems to have gotten worse.
The tanks have warped and pulled away where they meet the wind screen and the distance between the two upper mounting holes
has lengthened. Making it a bitch to get the fasteners installed without
cross threading one.

The extra fuel capacity makes up for the hassle of installing the tanks.
But for $1600 it would have been nice to see a better product.

Max
Old 04-18-2012, 10:26 AM   #138
Earthscape
Have ya got a helmut?

Oddometer: 309
Water in fuel is not unique to ethanol, but it definitely makes water retention worse. Fuel additives to remove water from gas existed before ethanol. Filling up with non-ethanol is no guarantee that a plastic tank won't swell at all, and using regular gas in a tank that's already swollen will not fix it. I can't speak to what other countries add to their fuel, if their governments require them to disclose it, or how regulated it is. As I said before, if you never "reset" your tank by letting it dry for an extended period, it just continues to swell. The water will never leave the plastic if you don't dry it completely, regardless of what type of fuel you have in it. Again, I can only speak from my experience, I'm not a fuel or plastic scientist and haven't conducted labratory experiments. My only intent is to help someone who needs something to try to get a swollen tank back onto their bike. That's what works for me.
Yes, $1600 is a heck of a lot to spend on a product that isn't perfect for it's purpose. Though I hesitate to condemn the makers since it's probably more than a challenge to deal with fuel additives that may be encountered anywhere in the world, at any point in the future. (I would guess it must be quite difficult to ship a hundred gallons of ethanol from the US to AUS.)

2004 KTM 950 ADV : : : : : : : 1998 Triumph Tiger
1999 KTM 640 ADV : : : : : : : 1993 Kawasaki KLX650
2007 Kawasaki KLX350S : : : : 1996 Yamaha XT350
Earthscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 12:12 PM   #139
DesertSurfer
Tail sprayin

Oddometer: 1,224
Love the Safari Tank concept...

Any company giving their time and attention to offer aftermarket products for the 9xx's has my respect and appreciation. It does make me wonder what KTM used to make their stock plastic tanks work, and handle painting? I wish the Safari Tanks got the formula better to handle the fuel, and to match the stock colors. It's a great starting point. But I sure don't like the "clear". It hides the awesome lines of the bike. I'm wondering why no one's added cotton vinyl tank covers like we had on our aftermarket desert tanks in the 70''s to keep the heat off of them ( and add our team colors).
I can see myself going with Safari's when they get more refined.
Old 04-18-2012, 01:15 PM   #140
catalina38
Contrarian

Oddometer: 1,525
I have been holding off on these tanks for a few years due to the swelling issues, I have been hoping they would change the plastic to a different type or that another manufacturer would come out with a high quality tank that was not quite as big. How about 8 or 9 gallons the 10 to 12 gallons the Safari holds is too much. The stock tank has multiple layers as does my Rotopax cans and they don't seem to swell or if the do it's not very much. Hey Rotopax are you listening

KTM 990R 500EXC
catalina38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 06:09 PM   #141
Geek
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 29,798
The stock KTM tanks swell as well.

I've had mine be over an inch out of whack when sitting for a while off the bike with fuel in them.
Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:46 PM   #142
catalina38
Contrarian

Oddometer: 1,525
I wonder if the KTM tanks have changed in materials and construction over the years, I was worried about mine the first couple of times I removed them but the always go right back on with out a fuss. Mine are flat black on the outside and white on the inside and the decals haven't bubbled yet but they are only a couple of years old.

KTM 990R 500EXC
catalina38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 06:27 AM   #143
Earthscape
Have ya got a helmut?

Oddometer: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertSurfer View Post
Any company giving their time and attention to offer aftermarket products for the 9xx's has my respect and appreciation. It does make me wonder what KTM used to make their stock plastic tanks work, and handle painting? I wish the Safari Tanks got the formula better to handle the fuel, and to match the stock colors. It's a great starting point. But I sure don't like the "clear". It hides the awesome lines of the bike. I'm wondering why no one's added cotton vinyl tank covers like we had on our aftermarket desert tanks in the 70''s to keep the heat off of them ( and add our team colors).
I can see myself going with Safari's when they get more refined.

I think that's part of the key there. Stock KTM (and other brand) plastic tanks are paintable, but white, or some shade of it under the paint (and most, if not all, are made by other companies such as Acerbis who specialize in plastics). When you crash, with that type of tank, the paint scrapes off and the plastic gets chewed up fairly easily. Compare that with the Safari tanks, or almost all dirt bike tanks, where the color is embedded in the material, they are not paintable because they breathe easier, and they are quite durable in a crash. Seems like there's a choice of one type or the other (that's a wild-ass guess). Safari appears to have gone the durable, color-embedded route given the nature of the KTM. I don't know if one is more prone to swelling than the other, but it would seem like the type that breathes swells more.
I would guess (I do a lot of guessing, I guess ), that it isn't so simple for a manufacturer like Safari to develop new materials to make tanks out of. They may only have a choice of suitable materials that have been approved for use in the countries where they plan to sell their products, and might not be in the business of creating new, fuel-resistant materials. They make the tanks, but they might not have developed the material.

2004 KTM 950 ADV : : : : : : : 1998 Triumph Tiger
1999 KTM 640 ADV : : : : : : : 1993 Kawasaki KLX650
2007 Kawasaki KLX350S : : : : 1996 Yamaha XT350
Earthscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 08:04 AM   #144
BaronVonDarrin
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by catalina38 View Post
I have been holding off on these tanks for a few years due to the swelling issues, I have been hoping they would change the plastic to a different type or that another manufacturer would come out with a high quality tank that was not quite as big. How about 8 or 9 gallons the 10 to 12 gallons the Safari holds is too much. The stock tank has multiple layers as does my Rotopax cans and they don't seem to swell or if the do it's not very much. Hey Rotopax are you listening
the swelling thing scares me. I dont want to make such a jump with expensive tanks to find I cant get them on after a while.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:39 AM   #145
Narsisco Lopez
Addlepated

Oddometer: 2,218
Whoo Hoo!

Whoo Hoo!

Photo Thread: The 10G+ Club

A Few Past Bikes
: 2003 Suzuki DRZ400E | 2012 BMW K13S | 2009 KTM 990 Adventure
Narsisco Lopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 07:08 PM   #146
JMWBMW
This user's email bounces

Oddometer: 42
Anyone local?

I'm in SF/Oakland area with an 08 990 ADV. Anyone have a 990 in this area with Safari install that I could look at and talk to? Thanks.

Jeff Weiss
JMWBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 07:36 PM   #147
bikyto
Dans le doute...gaz!

Oddometer: 2,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMWBMW View Post
I'm in SF/Oakland area with an 08 990 ADV. Anyone have a 990 in this area with Safari install that I could look at and talk to? Thanks.

Jeff Weiss
I'm in Campbell if you want to pm me
Old 04-23-2012, 08:36 PM   #148
SierraJeep
It's toast

Oddometer: 626
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narsisco Lopez View Post
Whoo Hoo!
This is the last (substantial) part I need before my summer plans. I know you paid a little more to have yours drop shipped, but I hope more of these are on their way to the States.

DSW are you listening? I am still hoping that my orange tank order is still on file...

2010 KTM 990 Adventure
2010 KTM 450 EXC
SierraJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 07:32 AM   #149
Dusty
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,177
Question for the big tank guys, did you use the gasket for the fuel pump (990) they sent or some other material, or nothing?

TIA...
Scott
Old 08-13-2012, 07:44 AM   #150
Narsisco Lopez
Addlepated

Oddometer: 2,218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
Question for the big tank guys, did you use the gasket for the fuel pump (990) they sent or some other material, or nothing?

TIA...
Scott
The gasket they included (in my set, at least) was only for the block-off plate if you have a 950. Since the 990 has the pump in the tank, you use the stock 990 fuel pump o-rings.

I fooked one of my o-rings (the smaller one) while initially-fitting the pump. I bought more from McMaster-Carr (since the KTM o-rings are so freaking spendy). I was way too impatient to wait for them to arrive, however, and used the yellow (fuel-resistant) teflon tape and made my own. Works great! Have had it in place and leak-free for almost 6K miles now... even with a roadside fuel pump filter issue 2 weeks ago.

This thread is a good resource for the McMaster-Carr o-rings
A Few Past Bikes
: 2003 Suzuki DRZ400E | 2012 BMW K13S | 2009 KTM 990 Adventure
Narsisco Lopez is offline   Reply With Quote