User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 04:07 PM   #2641
johnjen
I've Been Resigned

Oddometer: 15,741
If anyone has an account with a picture hosting site, and is willing to post these pics let me know. I don't have an account but do have a copy of the pics.

So there you go.

JJ

WingMakers.com
Collected Works of the WingMakers Volume 1 pg. 590
Old 04-17-2012, 04:11 PM   #2642
Poolside OP
Syndicated

Oddometer: 11,865

I'll host them, JJ. (Not to dissuade anyone.) I just haven't gotten to resizing and editing the pictures with the usual circles and arrows and such.

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Old 04-17-2012, 09:08 PM   #2643
johnjen
I've Been Resigned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouthfulloflake View Post
Mine came in the mail yesterday.

installed this morning.

initial thoughts, it was pretty rich on startup, lots of smoke ( this isnt normal)

It seems ( ever so slightly) to be a bit smoother over all, havent had a chance for any high speed fun stuff yet.

thanks for the R&D and execution guys.
Um, without knowing more of your circumstance blowing smoke is a sign of either an electrical issue (as in the smoke theory of electricity ) or there is something else going on.

Is the smoke blue (as in oil smoke) or black (as in soot), or white (as in water vapor)?

You might try, just to see, what happens with the jumper on the -10º setting.

You might also want to check your plugs and general state of tune.

JJ

WingMakers.com
Old 04-17-2012, 09:58 PM   #2644
mouthfulloflake
Not afraid

Oddometer: 16,506
well, I can only say, in times past when I have messed with the cat code plug jumpers, some settings have produced the same results.

it is blakish smoke, smells like fuel.

the same thing happened when I totally removed the jumpers for the ccp.

it pulls harder everywhere like that, but it is so rich that it blubbers all over the off idle region of throttle control.

Ill change the ccp jumpers to the stock ( lean rose colored jumper) settings and see what happens.

how many learning cycles does the mototronic need to get a set up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjen View Post
Um, without knowing more of your circumstance blowing smoke is a sign of either an electrical issue (as in the smoke theory of electricity ) or there is something else going on.

Is the smoke blue (as in oil smoke) or black (as in soot), or white (as in water vapor)?

You might try, just to see, what happens with the jumper on the -10º setting.

You might also want to check your plugs and general state of tune.

JJ

Happy Holidays DrLewall !
Old 04-17-2012, 10:34 PM   #2645
Poolside OP
Syndicated

Quote:

How many learning cycles does the Motronic need to get a set up?
No learning cycles. Do not reset the Motronic ECU.

The IICE Air doesn't need any sort of ECU learning cycle. When the IICE Air is installed the ECU merely thinks the intake air is a little cooler. For example, you don't need to reset the ECU every time the sun goes down, you know?

The ECU reads the Cat Code Jumper position the moment the ignition key is switched on, and that's it. For example, the factory provides a gray-colored cat code plug for low octane fuel. You just plug it in and go. The ECU coding positions do not have a learning cycle.

I don't know what else is happening with your bike. There's something nutty going on there. Something not IICE Air related.

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Old 04-17-2012, 10:46 PM   #2646
Poolside OP
Syndicated

IICE Air Install on 1200GS Adventure

Here are a few pictures of the more significant steps, with enough arrows and notes to make everything clear. I have a couple of more pictures to edit, but for now these should get you there.

Be sure to thank Phil (Wallowa) for providing these great pictures to work with!

Check the first post for links to more 1200GS install pictures from Geoffster and bracky72.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=638412

Old 04-17-2012, 10:54 PM   #2647
johnjen
I've Been Resigned

Hmmm…

Have you re-trained your throttle to the moronic EFI recently or after changing the cat code plug jumpers?

Perhaps that will 'fix' the problem.

JJ

Quote:
well, I can only say, in times past when I have messed with the cat code plug jumpers, some settings have produced the same results.

it is blakish smoke, smells like fuel.

the same thing happened when I totally removed the jumpers for the ccp.

it pulls harder everywhere like that, but it is so rich that it blubbers all over the off idle region of throttle control.

Ill change the ccp jumpers to the stock ( lean rose colored jumper) settings and see what happens.

how many learning cycles does the mototronic need to get a set up?

WingMakers.com
Old 04-18-2012, 07:14 AM   #2648
mouthfulloflake
Not afraid

yep, it started up just fine this morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolside View Post
No learning cycles. Do not reset the Motronic ECU.

The IICE Air doesn't need any sort of ECU learning cycle. When the IICE Air is installed the ECU merely thinks the intake air is a little cooler. For example, you don't need to reset the ECU every time the sun goes down, you know?

The ECU reads the Cat Code Jumper position the moment the ignition key is switched on, and that's it. For example, the factory provides a gray-colored cat code plug for low octane fuel. You just plug it in and go. The ECU coding positions do not have a learning cycle.

I don't know what else is happening with your bike. There's something nutty going on there. Something not IICE Air related.

Old 04-18-2012, 07:15 AM   #2649
mouthfulloflake
Not afraid

it started clean this morning, so no idea what was going on yesterday @ startup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjen View Post
Hmmm…

Have you re-trained your throttle to the moronic EFI recently or after changing the cat code plug jumpers?

Perhaps that will 'fix' the problem.

JJ

Old 04-18-2012, 08:05 AM   #2650
BenFongTorres
Banned

Oddometer: 831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolside View Post
Here are a few pictures of the more significant steps, with enough arrows and notes to make everything clear. I have a couple of more pictures to edit, but for now these should get you there.

Be sure to thank Phil (Wallowa) for providing these great pictures to work with!

Check the first post for links to more 1200GS install pictures from Geoffster and bracky72.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=638412

Only thing additional that would be nice to see is the "final location." Are zip ties required, etc.?
Old 04-18-2012, 08:15 AM   #2651
MJS
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denial9xs View Post
Only thing additional that would be nice to see is the "final location." Are zip ties required, etc.?
I used a piece of double stick tape and placed the unit on the side of the air box, about where the "final" is in the "Not in final location" text on the photo.

BTW, I did not need to remove the side cover on my GS (not a GSA). Just the two screws at the rear and pop it out of the rubber mount. Left the front screw from the reverse side in place. It's a 10 minute job to install.

http://www.blackswanmoto.com
Old 04-18-2012, 08:22 AM   #2652
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,283
Yup

Quote:
Poolside will most probably show the final location and zip ties...a hint..I put controller above the battery so only the seat needs to be removed to change settings and it is completely protected there..

Also note the vapor canister was removed from my bike about 3 months after I bought the bike....the valve for that was retained. It is removed in the photos posted; it was slipped back on [rubber mounting block] to the bracket where it was mounted [see bracket in photo just below IAT sensor]...IICE Air wires were placed behind it and as stated controller zip tied to metal bracket above battery...pics will show this.

Plastic ziplock bag you see has my disconnected Booster Plug wires taped up inside.

Ps...Poolside did one hell of a good job adding graphics and enhancing the photos

Wallowa screwed with this post 04-18-2012 at 12:35 PM
Old 04-18-2012, 01:49 PM   #2653
athistand
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
review for 1200gs

Well after about 100 miles of IICE Air usage I feel compelled to write about my experience.

First off, I LOVE my GS.....but i'd be lying if I didn't say that owning it has been a bit of a paradox for me. What I mean is, i love the bike, love the engine HP and torque, suspension, ergos, etc. But I have always HATED the injection management on this bike. From my perspective, it is so bad, that after 6 months of ownership I seriously considered selling it and going back to an airhead or something entirely different. I've had many bikes over the years....airheads, /2s, Hondas, Yamahas, K bikes, etc.....and none have ever taken an inordinate amount of concentration to ride "properly" than this bike. It is so bad, I actually began to question weather age and/or reflexes had taken their toll on my ability to ride with the kind of finesse that I think I used to have. I just couldn't believe that for $17,000 plus, the Germans would let something roll off the assembly line with the kind of pathetic rideablity issues that these bikes have. Maybe I'm asking too much.

Well the IICE Air seems to have given me back some confidence in the bike, and overall it is a more enjoyable ride. My experience regarding the Air is maybe not as overly enthusiastic as some, but it seems to have delivered as advertised.
My bike admittedly needs a tune up. It is due for a throttle sync and valve adjust, etc. So that may have thrown off some of my evaluation, not knowing if it could be running better on its own, irrespective of the IICE Air.

Idle: Contrary to most users I haven't felt/heard hardly any change here. It still idles kindof burbly, tone or RPM's haven't changed, smoothness seems unchanged.

Starting off in first gear: Noticeable difference.....easier to ride away from standstill, feeling of stalling is reduced. As soon as RPMs get above idle it seems to be a more linear feel.

Slow speed riding, less than 2000RPMs in 1st gear: Improved, but not as much as I really hoped for. Still a bit snatchy if not perfectly controlled with throttle. Better, but definitely could still be improved. This was the one dimension of riding the bike that I was really hoping for a big change.

Shifting between gears: Improved, easier to produce smooth shifts, but still, not nearly what I would expect for this level of bike. Shifts are less dramatic. Snatchyness after shifting is less.

Torque (the feel of it anyway): I dont think the bike is more torquey, like others have noted, but it seems more "useable"....pulls nice and linearly from like 2500rpm out of corners, etc. Where as before it seemed a little like it would fall on its face a bit coming out of a corner.

Steady speed highway cruising: This is what impressed me the most, believe it or not. At 75 mph the bike was noticeably smoother and less frantic feeling. Truthfully I didnt expect any change here at all. I am really happy with this. As a sidenote, when the R1200 came out it was billed and reviewed as the smoothest boxer twin ever, with a balance shaft.....yada yada yada. Well I always wondered what the hell all these people were riding because my bike never felt anywhere near as smooth as most well tuned Airheads or other bikes I've ridden. But whatever.
Also.....another thing I did not expect to see was what appears to be a measureable drop in oil temp. On any given medium temperature day, my temp is always exactly pegged halfway. Now, it is pegged exactly one notch lower. Thats great, obviously due to the richer mixture, and a most welcome improvement in my 100 plus degree Houston summer riding.

Popping on deceleration: No change noted here at all. I did expect some reduction in the burbling while downshifting, but alas it's still there as always. Sucks, but oh well.

Lastly, I'm sure it was just a fluke, but with the enriched mixture the assumption is possibly a couple MPG lower, well I have no difinitive proof yet as I've only gone 100miles but my fuel light came on at 234 miles this time.....I've never seen it go that long before lighting. We'll see after a few tankfuls. Improved MPG? Possibly ;) Sweet.

I will say that all these changes were really subtle, some virtually undetectable.....it was hard to really objectively analyze without feeling too much like a lemming after reading so many previous posts.

So in the end, I am happy....some unexpected improvements, a couple expected but not delivered....I'm cool with that and a satisfied customer. I can only hope the IICE Cool will fill in some of those gaps that still could use some improvement....I'm in!!

I can now enjoy my ride more:)

Old 04-18-2012, 02:24 PM   #2654
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,283
"athistand"

What setting did you use on the IICE Air? Since you did not mention it, or I missed it, I assume you left it at the -20 default position. Ambient temps?

Thanks
Old 04-18-2012, 05:32 PM   #2655
Poolside OP
Syndicated

Quote:

Go to the first post in this thread, and click on the other Installation links related to the 1200.

Closed Thread