Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2012, 05:47 PM   #1
lphil OP
lpihl

Oddometer: 5
control cable routing -R75/7

HI all,
I have searched several forums and looked at several pictures with regards to the routing of the control cables around the handlebars and frames.
There is a hole on the bracket that holds the instrument cluster, on some bikes I see the clutch cable goes through and on other I saw the throttle cables and others its not used.
http://s1051.photobucket.com/albums/...rrent=bik1.jpg

Is there a right way or most commonly used way?
Photos would be great and they talk 1000words.
Also on the throttle cable routing again I see some people taking both from the left hand side of the frame and others having them on the left and right hand side respective to the carburetor they connect to.
Thanks
lphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 02:58 AM   #2
Horsehockey
A GPS? Huh?

Oddometer: 322
No magic bullets for cables. The perfect routing diagram or (comprehensible) picture essay doesn't exist as far as I know. The "best" routing is to take a known OEM bike of same vintage and tape the new cable to the old and pull the new cable into the same position as the old cable.

On my /6, I've routed the throttle cables through the single hole in the cluster mount, then BOTH cables around the left side of the steering head, then the right side throttle cable gets routed past the voltage regulator and into the carb. The left side throttle cable is more of a "natural" route to the left side. I think it's fair to say that the general goal of all control cable routing is to imagine that you're a tiny skier, skiing down the cable from the top. Avoid designing any moguls into the trail and resist the urge to use zip ties.
Horsehockey is offline   Reply With Quote