Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2012, 11:47 AM   #46
Spud Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumbacheech View Post
Spud,

Bike looks bad ass with no front fender... maybe a low front fender is in order...
The kids were waving at me, CC.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 04:27 PM   #47
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,900
Your photos show possibly the best place to mount your oil cooler, the same as Dakar Rally bikes, in that space below your headlight using flexible hoses. It gets clean air and is away from mud and debris and your front wheel.

xronly
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 06:18 PM   #48
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Oddometer: 4,251
Actually..........like just said,,a low fender would keep all the mud off the cooler.someone on the XRL thread has one,,i personally don`t really like the look.........but in this case it`d be ideal for airflow...

B
techforlife is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 10:21 PM   #49
Spud Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by techforlife View Post
Actually..........like just said,,a low fender would keep all the mud off the cooler.someone on the XRL thread has one,,i personally don`t really like the look.........but in this case it`d be ideal for airflow...

B
Yes, a low fender would be ideal for airflow to my oil cooler. However, I don't like the way they look, either. Also, the low fender will clog up with mud, and stop the front wheel in sloppy terrain.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Old 04-18-2012, 11:05 PM   #50
Spud Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Speaking of airflow...when it comes to oil coolers, airflow is everything.

After finding the highest oil temperature my bike sustained without a front fender, I decided today to test a drilled fender. I drilled as many holes as I could, while still trying to maintain the structural integrity of the fender.

After mounting this fender, I actually removed it, and drilled more holes on the outside edges. Then I went for a ride on the freeway. Riding at 75-80 mph for about 30 miles, my oil temperature reached a high of 279 degrees. This oil temperature was 24 degrees higher than the 255 degrees I observed riding under similar conditions without a front fender, and I consider it unacceptable.

If I didn't fully understand before, I certainly understand now. Maximum airflow is the key to keeping oil temperatures lowest. Althought the drilled fender looks well ventilated, it is undoubtedly more than 50 percent blocked. Here are a few photographs of my bike after the freeway run.

I decided this was my final ride with this drilled front fender.

After I arrived home, I cut a large square out of the fender, and installed some 1/4-inch, galvanized hardware cloth. I'll post a photograph of the modified fender later.

The next time weather permits, I am going to make another freeway run, and this time I expect the high oil temperature will be much closer to 255 degrees than 279 degrees.

Spud
Old 04-19-2012, 10:04 AM   #51
Spud Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Here are several photographs of my front fender with the wire mesh installed.

Weather permitting, I will take a test run down the freeway this afternoon, and note the oil temperatures.

Airflow over my oil cooler should be greatly increased with the wire mesh installed in my front fender. For comparison, here's a photograph of the drilled fender.

Spud
Old 04-19-2012, 10:19 AM   #52
elsalvadorklr
southern xr rider

Oddometer: 4,151
youll get it bud!

hey spud again good stuff,

I found out big holes work better than smaller holes, the smaller ones act like a mesh screen on the intake of the airfilter, it pretty much just "configures" the air into an area and smooths it out, but for something like this you want buckets of wind which bigger holes or a complete cutout will acheive

here is my drilled front fender on my 88xr600, its from a crf250x its acerbis its crude but it works man, the holes are big and they are directed right over the head, not onto the cylinder, I took 3 inches off the back of this fender too and so far I have no issues with mud caking the cylinder much...

I do avoid mud though when I can

My temps after spirited riding(I check right after shutdown and during the middle of rides, I dont have a temo dipsitick yet but want to make one) are great.

Yesterday after a stint at speed on our highways and back to the house I got 205f for oil temp, perfect. Now I have gotten up to 250f and that was testing right after singeltracking uphill...the big pigs do not like this, at least mine doesnt.

I also decided against the use of an oversize tank for this reason, it blocked airfllow and the tank itself was to close to the head and the gas would boil on occassion! so I had a new clarke oem replacement tank made and no hot gas issues...

I believe back in the days scott summers modified his gas tanks and made TUNNELS to channel airflow over and through the head(valve cover) AND back towards the airbox to get fresh air...

not face to face with the cyilnder as it has fins anyways and gets direct air...

he also used as we all know the xr250r oil cooler in what I think is the best position and that is up at the headstem where clean air coming right of the fender is the best, just like a wing on an airplane.

again kudos to you for the write up, you'll get it right Im sure

christian
elsalvadorklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 10:49 AM   #53
Spud Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks for the feedback, and the encouragement, Christian. Here's a photograph of the modified fender installed on my XR650L.

I'll take a freeway run as soon as weather permits.

Spud
Old 04-19-2012, 10:54 AM   #54
elsalvadorklr
southern xr rider

yeah I think thats much better, you want the airflow high and onto the head kind of hitting the tank and then flowing down onto the valve cover...if its just hitting the cylinder it will deflect to the sides, the cylinder has fins so you need to focus on the actual valve cover area....

let us know!

p.s. it looks like you have space upwards on the fender to make more holes...I know you want to cool the oil cooler obviously but some holes above to direct air to the valve cover seems like a little help where its needed wont hurt anything!

cheers
Old 04-19-2012, 11:00 AM   #55
Spud Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Indeed, I have lots of room to add more holes, or more wire mesh, above the current mesh. Thanks for your help, Christian.

Spud
Old 04-19-2012, 11:13 AM   #56
Spud Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Looking at the photographs, I now realize the fender can act as a scoop, directing more air to the oil cooler. It will be interesting to compare oil temperatures now, and when the fender was uninstalled.

Spud
Old 04-19-2012, 11:40 AM   #57
elsalvadorklr
southern xr rider

yup both below and over the fender, the top acts like and airplane wing...thats why the xr250 and xr400 have the coolers installed there, its the perfect place...

but yeah for now it would be interesting to see the differences

cheers
Old 04-19-2012, 12:47 PM   #58
Spud Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Incidentally, I could easily get another 1/2-inch of clearance between the front wheel and my oil cooler, using my current hardware. Using bent pipe and compression fittings, one could probably mount this oil cooler even higher than that. Therefore, clearance with the front wheel isn't an issue, as long as the front fender is trimmed high enough so the front wheel doesn't grab it, and lock up, long before the wheel would have impacted the oil cooler.

Spud
Old 04-19-2012, 04:31 PM   #59
LexLeroy
Aging Gracelessly

Oddometer: 1,827
Plumbing

I used a Ridgid 406 tubing bender and 3/8" stainless .028" wall seamless tubing. The tubing bends easily and is easy to cut w/ a fine-toothed hacksaw. The tubing is about $10 for 4 feet, plus you'll find other uses for the bender down the road. Any excuse to buy more tools....
LexLeroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 08:34 PM   #60
Spud Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks for the tip, Leroy. I see the Ridgid 406 tube bender costs about $75, depending on the vendor one selects. I just might get one of these.

Spud