Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2012, 06:00 PM   #16
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houseoffubar View Post
I love almost all bikes, and don't like barring anyone from a forum, or sub-forum. That said, would a K bike not fit more in Olds Cool, than Airheads?!?
Yeah, but we kind of were "removed" from Old's School. Too many BMWs for some folks, I say he belongs here with us wackos'
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 06:07 PM   #17
Velocipede
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 386
I own K's and R's and I really don't care where Beretta parks his or her bike but there is a dedicated K bike thread that he or she should take a look at.Probably more info there for a K bike rider.
John

Velocipede screwed with this post 04-16-2012 at 06:17 PM
Velocipede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 06:21 PM   #18
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 7,903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocipede View Post
I own K's and R's and I really don't care where Beretta parks his or her bike but there is a dedicated K bike thread that he or she should take a look at.Probably more info there for a K bike rider.
John
But that sounds like a single thread. This happens a few places and it's pretty weird when all questions get asked in a single thread.

I don't think there is a better place for early Ks than with the Airheads. Not sure why but they were around while Airheads were still being made and we were the people that bought them. Then the early Ks also stopped at about the same time as Airheads.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 09:37 PM   #19
Mugwest

Oddometer: 5,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by disston View Post
But that sounds like a single thread. This happens a few places and it's pretty weird when all questions get asked in a single thread.

I don't think there is a better place for early Ks than with the Airheads. Not sure why but they were around while Airheads were still being made and we were the people that bought them. Then the early Ks also stopped at about the same time as Airheads.
Spot-on, Disston. Exactly my point last year when the CBxxx etc et al pals had an aneurysm about Airhead content in the at-large Old Skool sub-forum. At the time i liked the airhead split idea, but voiced 'What about the 1985 K100 guy? He's Old Skool at this point. And he might just have some stories and wisdom.'

It's a few mouse-clicks for the Admin mods to change the sub-forum name to 'Airheads and Old Bricks'.

No thing but a chicken wing, sayeth Andre.

Crux: at this point the K guy keeping his beloved steed going has a ton in common with the airhead guy/gal/grrrl. Saying.

MRP
Old 04-17-2012, 07:59 AM   #20
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Time for a survey. Anybody know how to do one of those. "Should K bikes be part of the Airhead Forum?"

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Old 04-18-2012, 07:40 AM   #21
390beretta OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 885
Thanks for all the support guys. Didn't mean to start such a tempest Gonna start a survey??? Anyway, you do sound like a friendly bunch. Just for the record, my last road bike, before the brick, was an R100RS. I think it was an '86 or thereabouts.
390beretta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 12:05 PM   #22
Hawk Medicine
Coyote's Brother

Oddometer: 3,303
Well....

On the one hand, I don't like the idea of excluding anyone but on the other hand, IMO "Airheads" is for Airheads and K-Bikes should be in "Olds Cool" if you consider age or "Road Warriors" if youre talking about technology.

I don't know who came up with the idea of spitting the Airhead contingent off from the main forum (I seem to remember a passel of Airheads wanting their own spot!) but I really like having a place where we can discuss our special crap ad nausium, without having to explain our obsession to the semi-unwashed (Or is it uninitiated?) rabble. Add in the the fact that there are plenty of K-bikers over in "Road Warriors" and it might be a no-brainer. And then again, it might not be.

Hell.... All a K-75 needs is regular oil changes, tires and a road. That aint no fun!

Hate rots the pocket that carries it.
Hawk Medicine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 03:44 PM   #23
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

If there is a place in Road Warriors then there is no problem. I didn't know there is a place or know there isn't. I thought there was a problem.

And BTW, we didn't get kicked out of Old School. We are still in Old School. We just have a sub category because there is sooo much more Airhead content, it over whelms the others in Old School. So to make them feel better about themselves and sort of not have to keep up with the Airheads we get our own area.

Old 04-18-2012, 04:06 PM   #24
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,608
Can't we all just get along???
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 07:14 AM   #25
Mugwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwaregrrl View Post
Can't we all just get along???

Old 04-19-2012, 07:34 AM   #26
slipjoint
Engraver

Oddometer: 492
K bikes are just that - K bikes - They are "oil heads' they are more like "R" bikes - K bikes are some of the finest motorcycles that BMW ever built - I have owned 3 of them - There is a world of difference between Airheads & Bricks - The K's are getting older but their not vintage bikes - Airheads fall into antique & vintage class. My current airheads are in the Vintage Class (1979 & 1980) - 1974 & older are now classified as antiques - Hagerity Insurance classifies vintage as 1882 & older. The first K bike was built in 1983.
slipjoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:34 AM   #27
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

I don't think K bikes are "Oil Heads". They have anti-freeze. So that makes them Water Heads. But it's not that big a deal, really, is it?

Do K bikes have a place to post threads on Adventure Rider? Or is it just a single thread for all K bike questions as somebody has stated?

Maybe there is no problem. If there is a problem I suggest the Ks post here till they get their own forum.

Old 04-19-2012, 04:39 PM   #28
Velocipede
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 386
Check out the K-Bike thread in Road Warriors Disston.IMHO it is more than adequate,I go there myself as I have a K75s.I can't see the point in diluting the Airhead thread with K Bike stuff.It would make as much sense if Airheads were to post on the K-Bike thread.
John
Velocipede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 04:42 PM   #29
ericrat
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,076
Uhg

Seperating Airheads seems to be a good thing, we were rather drowning out Old's Cool.

I have said it before, and I will say it again, I like to think we are a "big tent" here in Old's Cool. If you think you belong here you probably do.

That said, this is whats fits my internal heirarchy. I think 1970 to 199? whatever "Airheads" AND other pre '70 BMW twins and singles belong in here. They share the same basic "platform". There is also a lot of cross-over between groups.

Anything with factory fuel injection and electronic ignition (much less ABS) doesn't seem to fit in Old's Cool to me. That said, when I needed K75 help recently, I posted in Old's School and got prompt, expert and accurate advice. Road Warriors seems to be much more about the latest and greatest (although the Special K thread has gone nicely over there).

So if it is (at least) kind of old and doesn't fit anywhere else, you end up here and we'll be glad to have at, I mean, to have you.

Eric
ericrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 07:51 PM   #30
Mugwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by 390beretta View Post
I ride an '88 K75. Does that qualify to be discussed on this forum? Thanks
Looks like it does

Hang in there, Beretta. I for one would like to hear your stories and experience Big Tent, ya know