Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2012, 01:20 PM   #91
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangplank View Post
Can someone who has replaced their RR take and post a picture of the stock BMW connectors?

I'm working on a sourced replacement that had the stock connectors for a plug and play replacement.

Thanks in advance.
Gangplank:
If you find a source for the connectors would you mind posting it (pretty-please) ?

I will likely take the "detuning" approach and might build a resistor bank...
If I could get an extra male & female of the 3-lead connectors then I could easily remove the bank if I needed to get back up to the full 400W some cold winter's day
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 01:56 PM   #92
Gangplank
Advenchaintourer

Oddometer: 2,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden View Post
Gangplank:
If you find a source for the connectors would you mind posting it (pretty-please) ?

I will likely take the "detuning" approach and might build a resistor bank...
If I could get an extra male & female of the 3-lead connectors then I could easily remove the bank if I needed to get back up to the full 400W some cold winter's day
If I come accross anything I will for sure post it up.
Old 04-19-2012, 05:47 PM   #93
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,925
If anyone cares to post ALL the numbers from the connectors I can cross check the Wurth catalogue & another I have access to to ID the connector source for you

A couple of pic's would assist as well
WayneC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 07:05 PM   #94
mapuda
Crash Tested

Oddometer: 260
I posted this in the Alternator thread but want to replace the regulator now too.

So....

About 4k miles ago or Feb. 12 to be precise, I replaced my BMW stator with an Electrosport Stator. Life was good. I have a voltage monitor from Twisted Throttle; RED - less than 11.5 volts, AMBER - 11.9 to 11.5 volts, and GREEN - 12 volts +.

When I first installed the Electrosport I would get Green at idle. Last couple of mornings on start up I would have a Red light until the rpm's were above about 2500. Today riding home from work at 75mph ~ 5K I had a flashing Red which I take to mean zero stator output.

Tomorrow I will test the stator as listed in other threads. I am hugely bummed.

I have not yet had the OEM stator re-wound. Does anyone have any recommendations? I live in Las Vegas, NV.

I read about someone who replaced 3-4 stators (re-wound) in fairly rapid succession. Is it possible that the cause of the Stator failure is the Regulator? I got about 4k miles on a new Electrosport. I will test tomorrow but I imagine that one of the windings has opened or shorted.
Old 04-20-2012, 09:10 PM   #95
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuda View Post
I posted this in the Alternator thread but want to replace the regulator now too.

So....

About 4k miles ago or Feb. 12 to be precise, I replaced my BMW stator with an Electrosport Stator. Life was good. I have a voltage monitor from Twisted Throttle; RED - less than 11.5 volts, AMBER - 11.9 to 11.5 volts, and GREEN - 12 volts +.

When I first installed the Electrosport I would get Green at idle. Last couple of mornings on start up I would have a Red light until the rpm's were above about 2500. Today riding home from work at 75mph ~ 5K I had a flashing Red which I take to mean zero stator output.

Tomorrow I will test the stator as listed in other threads. I am hugely bummed.

I have not yet had the OEM stator re-wound. Does anyone have any recommendations? I live in Las Vegas, NV.

I read about someone who replaced 3-4 stators (re-wound) in fairly rapid succession. Is it possible that the cause of the Stator failure is the Regulator? I got about 4k miles on a new Electrosport. I will test tomorrow but I imagine that one of the windings has opened or shorted.
When Joel offers advice I listen carefully...... His take was....few R/R' were faulty....if any.... But as he mentioned...the Stock stator is build....should we just say with better component's.... including the insulating...than the aftermarket units. But as we are now learning and testing here.....the R/R....although not failing.... it is not a good one...and perhaps should be replaced... Not with a stock one... But with a mosfet from a known good source....Or as one member here soon will tell how his series R/R will perform. So far my beta testing on the mosfet is good.... At least on the battery side.... No clue what if any effect it has on the stator. Theoretically.... it should cool it a bit.....

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 09:12 PM   #96
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Rode a friends bike today.... There is no doubt the stock R/R runs hotter..... By far than my mosfet. After a 15 minute freeway run at 60 mph.... right after a 1 minute idle..... I just about burned my hand touching his R/R... at any time.... My mosfet has just been warm to the touch.....

Erling
Old 04-20-2012, 10:42 PM   #97
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,925
The connectors appear to be made by a German Co called Kostal. From talking to another US rider it seems purchase
of Kostal product needs to be done via an EU distributor, the US distributor was unable to supply another Kostal plug
he was attempting to source
WayneC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 01:47 AM   #98
lawe
lawe

Oddometer: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrabaek View Post
Rode a friends bike today.... There is no doubt the stock R/R runs hotter..... By far than my mosfet. After a 15 minute freeway run at 60 mph.... right after a 1 minute idle..... I just about burned my hand touching his R/R... at any time.... My mosfet has just been warm to the touch.....

Erling
So it would be ok to stuff it away somewhere then?

(Sent from my Xperia through Tapatalk 2)

lawe screwed with this post 04-21-2012 at 01:57 AM
lawe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 06:30 AM   #99
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawe View Post
So it would be ok to stuff it away somewhere then?

(Sent from my Xperia through Tapatalk 2)
I think it depends on what unit you get. The mosfet I got runs cooler by far, but I was told by the importer that that unit is capable of upward of 70 amps....but rated at less..... So they have done a lot of testing. That is perhaps not to say that all mosfets are like such. I thought about putting mine where the Charcoal canister one sat.... but understand that electronics works best...and last the longest when they are cooled. Thus the best place is....where it was from the factory. The series need to be in the airstream...preferably in the front ahead of the motor, as it generates a lot more heat. How far were you thinking to hide it???? Hej-hej...

Erling
Old 04-21-2012, 06:33 AM   #100
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Just in case anyone have missed it... All the testing I have done is in the desert southwest US. where temps are high. We have had ninty's (F) or well into the 35's C... With the direst sun being very hard on stuff......

Erling
Old 04-21-2012, 08:47 AM   #101
14TLC
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Hi everyone. I’m a new proud owner of 2012 F800GS and I’m closely watching all threads regarding F800GS issues in order to be well prepared. But this stator failure makes me very concerned. I do not ride as much as many of you and for sure mine will be out of warranty when it reaches the threshold mileage after which a stator failure is expected.

While searching for solution I came across one small company in Croatia (www.sper.hr) which makes all sorts of electronic devices and among all other things they make R/Rs for motorcycles and boats. I‘ve contacted them and described to them the problem we have with the stator and concerns about using a serial type of R/R. I will translate in English what their engineer answered and what is stated on their web page. Unfortunately the web page is only in Croatian.

Using serial type of R/R should not cause an issue with other electronic devices on the motorcycle. What about the ignition system and ignition coils? They produce by far higher impulses and noise in the electrical system. However the serial type of R/R suffers from another issue. All serial types of R/Rs which have thyristors and diodes in the design do not operate well on higher revs. The thing is that the inductive component of the generator’s impedance gets higher, and higher amount of energy is produced in shorter time intervals. In this condition the serial R/R cannot properly discharge the energy and then constant DC current will occur from two phases towards the third phase of the generator. This usually occurs above 8000 rpm. The solution is hybrid type of R/R which has both serial and parallel type of regulation. Most of the time it operates in serial mode and when it senses the critical voltage it will switch to parallel mode. It also has voltage protection in order to limit the voltage at 14.6 V”

So, they produce parallel, serial and also hybrid type of R/R. As I can see on their web page the hybrid one is their best selling R/R and so far they never had any issues or faulty R/Rs of this type. They state that the components which they use are high quality components and are rated for 40-60% higher current than the rated current of the R/R which is 30A. The thing is that they use large heat sinks, usually larger than most R/Rs on the market, especially on their hybrid one. But they offer option for the hybrid one to be built in two housings, one for the serial and other for the parallel one. You can also buy the serial one and if you notice charging issues later you can add the parallel one to complete the hybrid R/R. This is the model they recommended for the F800GS and the list of motorcycles on which they fitted this R/R

http://www.regler.sper.hr/sp_trofazni_regler.htm

Unfortunately they don’t sell outside Croatia.

On their web page they have a lot of practical advices and information regarding R/Rs, charging systems, generators and examples how to test the R/R, generator and also measuring insulation of the generator. I will translate the most interesting topics and I will post them here.

P.S. Here is one interesting battery monitoring gadget:

http://www.argusanalyzers.com/batter...analyzers.html
14TLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 12:08 PM   #102
Indy Unlimited
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,247
So my head is now splitting with all this great information and I am back to thinking we need to cool the stator or reduce the wattage with a rewind?

2013 Ducati Hypermotard SP, 2011 Husaberg FE570S, 2011 BMW S1000RR, 2010 BMW F800GS
2007 Husqvarna TE610 , 2003 KTM 525 MXC
Indy Unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 02:05 PM   #103
Mike.C
Stelvio Dreamer!

Oddometer: 572
Yeah me too, but my head split ages ago trying to understand this topic....

I am going to do something soon as the launch date for my next big adventure is July 28th and count down has commenced, just not sure what exactly. IIRC Joel was talking to some R/R manufacturers about a potential solution.
Old 04-21-2012, 02:26 PM   #104
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

So far....this solution is working great. I have been monitoring voltage....battery starting....etc....and all is well. I did speak with the importer of this R/R....and he'd mention that these were on back order...... But that perhaps another source from a well know US bike supplier could become an option. If there is enough interest....I could ask...If there is enough interest, as there seems to be little if none of these R/R's available. I do feel though that regarding Stator lonlegivity ...or should we say...prolonging it.... Only time will tell. Unless you mount a probe inside the case...on the Stator itself. I have no doubt the charging issue is resolved....and the more I look into the series R/R.... I am not willing to take the chance, as there appears to be issues. My aluminum bracket will be here on monday....but as cool as it runs now.... it will only get better......

Erling
Old 04-21-2012, 02:57 PM   #105
Mike.C
Stelvio Dreamer!

Oddometer: 572
Hey Mr Beak, your too popular! Your pic sharing site has blocked em because so many users like em... go figure