Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2012, 06:42 PM   #31
Lost Rider OP
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmotten View Post
How is that different to any other battery?

Could you be more specific since you quoted my entire post with all kinds of info and opinions please?

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 10:02 PM   #32
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 4,887
IN
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 10:38 PM   #33
MrBracket
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Rider View Post

Mr. Bracket, aren't you the guy with the nifty trailer on your FE? Would you mind sharing some info about your rig in this thread?
Here’s a few pics of my bike and setup for Adventure Riding… Mine is not actually an FE, it’s an FX450, but still a 70deg Husaberg!!!

The biggest improvement I’ve made is getting a second wheel-set for Adventure riding. ProCycle built me this set of adventure wheels. The rear is basically a super-moto wheel, 17” diameter and 4-1/4” wide black Sun rim with a blue RAD cush drive hub. The front is a 19” diameter and 2-3/4” black Sun rim with blue RAD hub. The tires are Kenda Big Blocks, a 150/70-17 rear and a 110/80-19 front. You can find more info at www.procycle.us

My overall goal was to keep my berg light and easy to convert back to a dirtbike. I really enjoy riding hardcore trails one weekend and riding to the coast on backroads the next. I didn’t want to add the subframe tank or any other oversize tank for adventure riding. Husaberg did a great job of centralizing the weight on this bike and making it feel very light when moving, I didn’t want to change that. My rear tail light / license plate assembly comes off with two bolts and a 5-prong trailer light plug. My front windscreen is attached to my GPS holder and is also easy to remove. In short order I can put my stock wheelset on the bike and be back to the lightweight berg that I love so much.

To make longer trips possible, I needed to be able to haul gear and gas… Enter the moto-mule trailer!! With no tools, I can attach or detach this adventure trailer to my husaberg and have the ability to carry more than I’d ever need. I make these trailers myself and have a website at www.moto-mule.com

Here is a partial list of what I’ve added to my berg:
ProCycle Dual Sport Wiring Harness (the FX450 had no wiring for lights)
TrailTech DOT Headlight
LED Blinkers and Tail Light
Folding mirrors
Slipstreamer Windscreen
Seat Concepts Seat
Fastway Footpegs
Enduro Engineering Radiator Guards
Cycra Handguards
Garmin Rino 530Hcx GPS

2010 Husaberg FX450, 2011 Husaberg FS570, 1994 Yamaha TW200, Next bike?? - A twin cylinder adventure bike. Why? Because most thumpers sound like two skeletons making whoopie in a trash can!
MrBracket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 08:47 AM   #34
Lost Rider OP
Roadie

I really like your setup, out of the box thinking and your philosophy with your FX Mr. Bracket.

It would make a lot of sense on many types of rides to be able to carry a couple of peoples stuff to camp, drop it and go ride.... or travel with it.
This fall Nancy and I are planning to ride on a month long trip possibly doing the TAT again, your trailer setup sure would make things easy with packing and unpacking, camping everyday in a different place.
While I have shown one way to pack the FE, I have no illusions about what it will be like to unpack and pack it day in and day out with my current setup. I'll get more proficient at it with experience, but just like my Wolfman Expedition Panniers I use on the big bike, using every available inch in a soft pannier can be tedious when moving each day on the road.

I already have a huge Pelican case I used for transporting big Apple MacPro media servers, having a 100% everything proof box on the trailer would be appealing to me, since we have super lightweight camping stuff the added weight of the pelican would balance out I think. Maybe add a big cargo net to the top for even more flexibility and short term storage for firewood or beer, etc.
One Rotopax for fuel, one for water... I'm liking this more and more....

Get out there, Stay out there.... I like that.

Do you offer it in Blue instead of red though?

Can you share what handlebar mount windscreen you have in that photo please?

Thanks for sharing, it gives me something more to ponder while planning the big ride with Nancy.

LostRider.com

Lost Rider screwed with this post 04-21-2012 at 03:02 PM
Old 04-21-2012, 11:34 AM   #35
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBracket View Post
I didn’t want to add the subframe tank or any other oversize tank for adventure riding. Husaberg did a great job of centralizing the weight on this bike and making it feel very light when moving, I didn’t want to change that.

To make longer trips possible, I needed to be able to haul gear and gas… Enter the moto-mule trailer!! With no tools, I can attach or detach this adventure trailer to my husaberg and have the ability to carry more than I’d ever need. I make these trailers myself and have a website at www.moto-mule.com

Very elegant solution! Well done! Best of both worlds ... and retaining the brilliance of the Husaberg design to me would be critical. But as a long range travel bike? You guys are the pioneers! Can't wait to see the first RTW report by Husaberg!

I believe Big Al used one of your trailers to go cross country. His epic Latin America ride report is here:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=673764

Al sold his bike in Chile, then bought another in the South somewhere. It came with the trailer. He rode cross country with it ... and got on quite well. It would freak me out ... but I'd try it.

What does it weigh? (not loaded)

I've never towed a trailer. Seems there is a built in stigma against trailers ... but I'm beginning see just how great they could be on a long, RTW type ride ... especially for those wanting to go Two UP. Two Up on a dual sport bike is always tough. With the trailer it could actually be done.

One concern would be speed limits in the USA. Some states (like California - 55 mph max) have trailer speed limits. Does this rig fall into that class? Once out of USA, no problem. Nice Work!!
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 01:29 PM   #36
GZPainter
A Scouser from Crete

Oddometer: 161
That's an amazing setup for an adventurised Husaberg...
you add a Safari tank at the frond.. you get lost on the trails...
what a pity that's not legal in Europe...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBracket View Post
Lost... when I read that you purchased a FE570... I knew immediately that some awesome photos of the Husa will come...so bring them on!!!!

LE.M.A.N. - Ayios Nikolaos Crete Riders Club
http://leman-bikersclub.gr/
If you are around, try to find them, they will help you...
GZPainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 04:47 PM   #37
APBlack
nOOb on a fly

Oddometer: 193
Awesome!!! That is the coolest set up... got me thinkin about a second wheel set for my 570. Really interested in hearing how well the 17/19 combo works for tarmac & light duty trails.. Nice!!

[QUOTE=MrBracket;18508455]Here’s a few pics of my bike and setup for Adventure Riding… Mine is not actually an FE, it’s an FX450, but still a 70deg Husaberg!!!

The biggest improvement I’ve made is getting a second wheel-set for Adventure riding. ProCycle built me this set of adventure wheels. The rear is basically a super-moto wheel, 17” diameter and 4-1/4” wide black Sun rim with a blue RAD cush drive hub. The front is a 19” diameter and 2-3/4” black Sun rim with blue RAD hub. The tires are Kenda Big Blocks, a 150/70-17 rear and a 110/80-19 front.
06 KTM 950 Adv (orange one)
05 Honda 650L
APBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 10:42 PM   #38
SafariBerg
Oz Safari Addict

Oddometer: 2,894
This is our take on a long range Adv FE570, just add luggage roll to the back etc, 35L fuel................basically a rally bike minus the competition nav gear will go a long long way fast or slow, we hammer them for 9,000km in 2 weeks at Dakar, so a long cross country/continent type Adv trip would be no worry if you can handle living minimally out of your luggage roll.

Old 04-21-2012, 11:08 PM   #39
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,484
Gary, are you going to stick with the 70 degree models for another year or so until the next model Bergs come out as per all the rumours?

Will going to the KTM configuration make larger and extra fuel tanks a bit easier than with the current setup?
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, “You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done.”

George Carlin
Cruz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 11:16 PM   #40
SafariBerg
Oz Safari Addict

Oddometer: 2,894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz View Post
Gary, are you going to stick with the 70 degree models for another year or so until the next model Bergs come out as per all the rumours?

Will going to the KTM configuration make larger and extra fuel tanks a bit easier than with the current setup?
For racing we will use the 70 degree bikes for the rest of the 2012 rally season, beyond that

Like everyone we are still waiting to see what the 2013 models will be like.
Old 04-22-2012, 12:31 AM   #41
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,484
Some more Kriega info here re the new Overlander system bags due out very soon.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=759298

More pics here as well.
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=c0d95fc51e

[QUOTE=amanlikemike;

Looks like the EICMA / NEC spyshots are out!

That there is the Overlander 30 (2 x 15L bags) on a Rack Loop frameless fit system. With a rack (soon to be available for the most popular DS bikes), and LDPE quick-release cam lock backing system you can go up to 60L (4 x 15L packs). And then, with a US-30 in the middle, 90L of rock-solid, almost indestructible Enduro spec capacity is possible. Production is scheduled for April and we'll get our first shipment around then.

This is the toughest stuff Kriega has ever made.

Stay tuned for more details as they emerge...

Michael

Can anyone copy the pics on that page over to here?

Some more good info here especially the Rack loops setup for mounting bags.
[url]http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=778304[/url]
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, “You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done.”

George Carlin

Cruz screwed with this post 04-22-2012 at 12:55 AM
Cruz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 08:48 AM   #42
Motorfiets
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,989
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougZ73 View Post
Back from the dead and with no more BMW Joe? Glad to see you posting again.

no mo bmw but glad to be subscribed here finn!
Motorfiets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:03 AM   #43
Barshoe
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Rider View Post
It's on the list, though I've yet to overheat the bike with the riding I've done so it's not at the top of my (limited budget) list.
I need a rear safari tank, a 70º tank and some other various bits first.

Since we're on the subject, does anyone know if the fan kit works with the BulletProof Rad guards? Any photos would be great.

Mr. Bracket, aren't you the guy with the nifty trailer on your FE? Would you mind sharing some info about your rig in this thread?

Thanks Doug, it's nice to be back.
With all the extra weight your adding to this bike, first hot day, slow speed section, your really going to need it....
Old 04-26-2012, 09:32 PM   #44
4corners14
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 527
Looking forward to more pics of the Bergs on trips

4corners14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:33 PM   #45
Lost Rider OP
Roadie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barshoe View Post
With all the extra weight your adding to this bike, first hot day, slow speed section, your really going to need it....

Yep, you are most correct, boiled it over last week in hot 90º temps on a long steep loose climb without any gear strapped to it.... fan moved up on the list.

Thanks 4corners, life has recently thrown me quite a loop, not sure when I'm going to be able to travel on the FE now, but you know when I do there will be some photos to share.

LostRider.com