Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2012, 06:43 PM   #16
zuma
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 221
Living in Oz, I've got to say the fuel light on at around 250 k's and about 300 kilometres to empty would put me right off. Then again, I guess range will improve with some more k's on the clock. Very interested in your thoughts on the big Trumpy Bryn.
zuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 11:51 PM   #17
Bryn OP
Leicester England

Oddometer: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
Thanks for starting a new thread Bryn!

Quick question for you. Using cycle-ergo.com, I was surprised to find that for my dimensions (6'0" w/ 33" inside leg), there is about 8 deg of forward lean. Are you tilted forward at all on yours? I've read that the bars can be adjusted back a bit, but they would need to come up and back 2" to get me to perfectly upright, and I don't think there's enough slack in the cabling to allow that. Any weight on my hands/wrists is a deal killer for me due to years of MX and offroad abuse, so any input here is most welcome.

-SM
I've looked at the risers under the handlebars.. and it looks to me like the factory setting is actually on 'back' and the adjustment would be forwards 20mm rather than back.

I'll explore this a bit more later ... I'd say I'm leaning forward very slightly... and as I get a bit of pain in the Coccyx I doubt I'd want to be much more upright anyway
Old 04-16-2012, 11:52 PM   #18
Bryn OP
Leicester England

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuma View Post
Living in Oz, I've got to say the fuel light on at around 250 k's and about 300 kilometres to empty would put me right off. Then again, I guess range will improve with some more k's on the clock. Very interested in your thoughts on the big Trumpy Bryn.

I'm liking its power delivery, its looks, and its handling at the moment... its pulling like a train and I've got a 5000rpm ceiling for another 30 miles
Old 04-18-2012, 11:13 AM   #19
Bryn OP
Leicester England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryn View Post
I've looked at the risers under the handlebars.. and it looks to me like the factory setting is actually on 'back' and the adjustment would be forwards 20mm rather than back.

I'll explore this a bit more later ... I'd say I'm leaning forward very slightly... and as I get a bit of pain in the Coccyx I doubt I'd want to be much more upright anyway
Looks like the standard position is 'back' and rotating the risers 180 degrees puts the handlebars forwards 20mm
Old 04-18-2012, 01:07 PM   #20
TIGERRIDER007
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 835
Is there enough cable to add 2 inch Rox Risers in your estimate?

This is mega important to me. I'd have to raise those bars, they are uncomfortable for my body dimensions, just like the 800XC I took out for a week and after the 2nd day of riding my wrists were really sore. That's due to the XC's setup is not my ideal setup preference. I prefer the bars with less bend (flatter), and higher up.

Thanks for sharing your experiences!
TIGERRIDER007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 01:19 PM   #21
Bryn OP
Leicester England

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGERRIDER007 View Post
Is there enough cable to add 2 inch Rox Risers in your estimate?

This is mega important to me. I'd have to raise those bars, they are uncomfortable for my body dimensions, just like the 800XC I took out for a week and after the 2nd day of riding my wrists were really sore. That's due to the XC's setup is not my ideal setup preference. I prefer the bars with less bend (flatter), and higher up.

Thanks for sharing your experiences!
There seems to be a fair amount of free play in the cables and wiring as it comes up the headstock to the bars.....there may be a need to loosen some of the ties holding the cables together.... unless someone tries it I couldn't say on 2".. an inch you'd have no trouble with ....I reckon if you were in the market for a new Explorer the dealer should be happy to spend 10 minutes removing the 4 handlebar bolts, so you can see how far the bars can be raised .....

As you can see if you turn the risers through 180 it brings the bars forwards

Old 04-18-2012, 01:48 PM   #22
TIGERRIDER007
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 835
I agree with you, about the dealer. That's probably what will happen.
Thank you for taking the pictures and checking on this.
TIGERRIDER007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 01:50 PM   #23
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 2,049
Thanks Bryn.

Cycle-ergo seems to think 2" up/back is what I need. I doubt there's THAT much play in the cables to not bind at full lock, but I'll take a close look at it once a demo reaches my dealer.

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 01:53 PM   #24
Bryn OP
Leicester England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
Thanks Bryn.

Cycle-ergo seems to think 2" up/back is what I need. I doubt there's THAT much play in the cables to not bind at full lock, but I'll take a close look at it once a demo reaches my dealer.

-SM
I'd guess you may not get them up 2" without fouling the screen when its on its lowest setting.but 2" back and it shouldn't foul ..again check on that when you see it properly
Old 04-19-2012, 11:09 AM   #25
Bryn OP
Leicester England

Another 40 or so miles today.. but got some enjoyment in the garage as my radiator guard, satnav bracket and headlight protector had arrived at the dealers.... so fitted them, got the Zumo 660 up and running using the socket on the headstock and went for a ride

The Zumo looks quite neat, but with the locking TT holder its a bit close to the wind shield to operate the locking mechanism and remove the unit. Suppose I could tilt the whole thing down to remove. It is tucked up nicely ... I'll see how it goes .....

I'm waiting to let the dealer wire up the Autocom and connect it to the Zumo... I don't want to be the one hunting for a switched live.... meanwhile though the Autocom unit slides in nicely under the passenger seat, and still room for the tool kit

There's plenty of places available to feed the connectors on the Autocom through as well.....

As far as the Speedo is concerned... now I have the Zumo up and running I can say its pretty accurate....

30 on the clock =29 on the Zumo
50 48
70 68
80 77
90 87

Pretty impressed with that

Now on 320 miles, 180 until its first service next thursday... hoping it has its heated grips fitted then .
Old 04-22-2012, 09:42 AM   #26
Bryn OP
Leicester England

Had a busy weekend... got the satnav ( Zumo 660) and the Autocom hard wired in.... now comes on with the engine start.... leaving the accessory socket free

Got hold of a pair of Givi Trekker 33L bags... one doubles as a top case ... that will do me until Givi makes the frames for them .

A bit of engineering and the plate is fitted and top case on

Poured down with rain so no miles today.... 60 left to reach the 500 service.. booked for Thursday so no problem with that.... the bike is getting better every time I ride it
Old 04-22-2012, 12:59 PM   #27
Big Jon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 304
Question

Hey Bryn, did you use the Givi E250 universal plate to mount the new Trekker? I've been trying to get info from Givi, SW Motech, and Jesse to find out when Explorer specific racks & sidemounts will be available. So far only Jesse has gotten back to me with info saying that theirs would be available in about 2 weeks. I love their side cases, but am leaning towards Givi 52 or 55L tail case with an LED light kit.
Old 04-22-2012, 01:26 PM   #28
Bryn OP
Leicester England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Jon View Post
Hey Bryn, did you use the Givi E250 universal plate to mount the new Trekker? I've been trying to get info from Givi, SW Motech, and Jesse to find out when Explorer specific racks & sidemounts will be available. So far only Jesse has gotten back to me with info saying that theirs would be available in about 2 weeks. I love their side cases, but am leaning towards Givi 52 or 55L tail case with an LED light kit.
Hi Jon , this one is a Givi MONOKEY plate, the universal plate will do the job with probably less effort than the one I've used, which is cast alloy... but I got it for free, so it was worth the effort I think.

There are more positions available on the universal plate to match the holes/ slots on the original rack.

As long as you get a monokey plate its do-able

Here's another action shot from one of my local beauty spots... and the box didn't fall off
Old 04-22-2012, 05:14 PM   #29
Big Jon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 304
Thumb

Thanks Bryn. I just can't get over what a beautiful bike she is. Hopefully in 3 or 4 weeks I can post some pics of mine...
Old 04-28-2012, 08:36 AM   #30
Paulvt1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,537
Question for Bryn. The word is that the Explorer touring screen is excellent. Any feedback?
Paulvt1 is offline   Reply With Quote