User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2012, 04:46 PM   #1
dualsportutah.com OP
KTMrentals

Oddometer: 94
Flying with my dirt bike in checked bags

Does any one know if I can get my dismantled Gas Gas 300 on a plane to Panama or any were in checked baggage
I am looking at getting it all in 3-4 bags not much more then 60 lb each and carring on my motor maybe?

dualsportutah.com screwed with this post 04-22-2012 at 04:52 PM
dualsportutah.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 03:08 PM   #2
DADODIRT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,327

No idea, but I am curious.
Old 04-23-2012, 03:40 PM   #3
dualsportutah.com OP
KTMrentals

Oddometer: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by DADODIRT View Post

No idea, but I am curious.
tsatcc_do_not_reply@senture.com Add to contacts
To dualsportutah@hotmail.com

Sent:Mon 4/23/12 3:38 PM
To: dualsportutah@hotmail.com

Sounds like if i make it very clean and leave head and cluch cover off it and no petcock on gas tank flushed out with blue rv stuff it will work??
AS FOR FORKS AND SHOCKS ??
Thank you for your e-mail in which you inquire about traveling with car parts.

The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) permits car parts in carry-on or checked baggage after proper security screening or inspection only if there is no fuel or traces of fuel present. Car engine parts may be placed in checked luggage only if the parts are packed in their original box and free of hazardous chemicals, such as gasoline and oil.

If the items contain fumes or traces of fuel, they will be prohibited from checked luggage because of hazardous materials regulations. If you believe the items you wish to check contain hazardous materials or residues, we recommend that you ship them to your destination using a parcel service.

Please be advised that while TSA screens all checked luggage, airlines make the decision to remove dangerous or hazardous materials from checked bags following inspection. Therefore, we recommend that you also contact the airline prior to your travel date to determine if they have additional guidelines.

We encourage all travelers to familiarize themselves with TSA Travel Tips prior to their trip. Our Web site, www.tsa.gov, has information about prohibited and permitted items, the screening process and procedures, and guidance for special considerations that may assist with preparing for air travel. Passengers can go directly to these tips at www.TSATravelTips.us.

We hope this information is helpful.

TSA Contact Center

dualsportutah.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 12:01 AM   #4
VxZeroKnots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,505
I've never done it with a motorcycle, but I've moved downhill race bikes by separating the frame into two bags and distributing the parts among them. By using 60 linear inch bags, and keeping the weight of each one below 50lbs I was able to avoid up to $200 in fees for using a bike box each way.

I'm sure you'll get hit with something for having lots of bags, but it sounds like if you can get it clean enough, it can be done.
Just pack it well, perhaps using clothes and gear to pad small parts and take the springs out of the fork to compress it for the trip, should fit diagonally in a 60 inch case....

No bike does everything perfectly. In fact, no bike does anything until someone gets on it to ride.

VxZeroKnots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 07:57 AM   #5
4PawsHacienda
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 471
FEd-Ex, UPS, USPS might be better alternatives. Hitting an airport with something ususual is a recipe for delay. The freight companies can handle anything you can box up and I bet the price is better and delivery easier. They'll answer your questions correctly when you ask up front.
I've gotten to the point I ship my dive gear to my destination rather than phart with the TSA and airlines, it always arrives and both of us have a better flight.
4PawsHacienda is offline   Reply With Quote