Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2012, 01:50 AM   #61
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by remedy451 View Post
Hi There,

I am wanting to introduce my 9 year-old son to the joys of riding this season by being a passenger. I would like to hear from other riders who have already undergone this endeavour and solicit their feedback and lessons learned. I would be interested in comments pertaining to:

1. What age did your child start riding as a passenger?
My first time on the back of a bike I couldn't have been more than 4 or 5, my Dad let me ride around the block on the back of the next door neighbor's Harley.

Quote:
2. How did you know your child was mentally mature and responsible enough to be a passenger?
No kids.....I know my Father was a huge fan of the school of hard knocks, so basically if he didn't think that I would instantly kill myself I could at least take a whirl at it.

The rest, I don't have kids so I can't really relate.

I know I used to have a neighbor that had 5 kids. So when I first moved in I had the bikes out in the driveway doing some maintenance and was nearly instantly surrounded. They wanted to ride so I made them get them Mother, she didn't have an issue with it so I ended up spending most of the afternoon wrapping kids up in spare gear and riding them around the neighborhood.

Caveat being that it wasn't like I was going out on a main road, and I doubt that I got passed 25mph.

Riding in traffic....I wouldn't with someone else's kids, its simply not worth the risk. With my own who knows, if they are old enough to ask to want to go along I would probably go along with it. I wouldn't be pushing them onto the bike.
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:37 AM   #62
Alton
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 293
How not to do it.

I have a distinct memory of Dad picking up myself, my brother, and my sister.. on Mom's Magna, on his way home from the bar.

Brother and sister sat in front of him, and I sat behind. We all had 3/4 helmets (that were too big, and purchased used) and wore shorts, t-shirts, and tennis shoes. Dad didn't have a helmet. I was wearing his.

Oddly enough, I've never once in my life felt unsafe around my dad.
Alton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 03:51 AM   #63
hugemoth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,761
My daughter started riding with me before she was 1 while sitting on my wife's lap in the sidecar. By 3 she would ride in front of me on my Trail 90 on forest and desert trrails. She would also sit in front of me while riding my CX500 around town. She graduated to sitting on the back seat and taking multi-day tours by the time she was 5. She got her own Trail 90 at 10 and her motorcycle license the day she turned 16. When she was 16 we did some multi-day tours with her riding my CX500 and me on the Goldwing. Since then we've done many thousands of miles on and off road on dual sport bikes. She's now riding around Thailand on a rented bike.

My philosophy is enjoying life entails a certain amount of risk. Be safe but don't put your kid in a bubble.

BTW my daughter also soloed my ultralight at 16 and is an excellent pilot. She's now 24.
hugemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 07:08 PM   #64
onewheeltwo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoBiker View Post

My Son's "Peg Risers":
Thanks, that's the solution I've been searching for for my son!

(now why didn't I think of that? )
onewheeltwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:12 PM   #65
TonyBKK
Secret Soi Rider

Oddometer: 842
What a fantastic thread!

My son has been riding scooters since he was an infant and proper bikes since he was old enough to wear a kiddie helmet and we've been on quite a few tours already and he gets pissed if I go on a ride and don't take him along

Here in Thailand scooters are the primary mode of transportation for most families and it's not unusual to see entire families packed onto a scooter.

He's been into bikes (literally) since he was a baby

Who knew that a sidecar can make a great baby crib?!

Did you know that bikes can run on Heineken?!

I knew I was in trouble when at the age of 2 he could climb up my bikes and press the starter button

Really nice of Kawasaki to make stays that double as kiddie footpegs on the Versys

Now he's five and we're planning an epic 6 week ~5000 mile ride from Minnesota to California this summer! Trip planning thread here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=783288

I'm already getting some flack from people who say he's too young for such a big trip. I know their concern is well intentioned, but I'm quite confident that with the trip broken into short days (never more than 300 miles/day) and with multi-day stops in the national parks along the way that we'll have a fantastic adventure together.

We'll be doing it on a Goldwing GL 1500 like this with added armrests and a seatbelt so awake or asleep he'll be totally secure on the pillion seat-

Looking forward to an epic trip!

Happy Trails!

Tony and Kris
2011 Kawasaki VERSYS!
2005 BMW K1200LT

TonyBKK screwed with this post 04-23-2012 at 10:18 PM
TonyBKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 02:50 AM   #66
orangebear
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,227
[QUOTE=TonyBKK;18529190]What a fantastic thread!

i dont now about the us but in the uk the kid has to be on the back seat and beable to use the pegs. or you would get done by the cops and a big fine.

as my dad did not take me on the back til i could reach the pegs with out them being mod,ed and now i have my own big bike and a had a 1st shacky run with my gf on the back . now the bike goes fine
Klr650c the 1 I should not of wasted my money on
Honda xl125rc powered by a cg125 block fun wee bike
orangebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 04:52 AM   #67
TonyBKK
Secret Soi Rider

Oddometer: 842
[QUOTE=orangebear;18529910]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBKK View Post
What a fantastic thread!

i dont now about the us but in the uk the kid has to be on the back seat and beable to use the pegs. or you would get done by the cops and a big fine.

as my dad did not take me on the back til i could reach the pegs with out them being mod,ed and now i have my own big bike and a had a 1st shacky run with my gf on the back . now the bike goes fine

Yeah, I know that in Nanny State, USA this would never fly, but over here no one thinks twice about it.

In the US pretty much every state has a law that says something like this:

"No person shall ride upon a motorcycle as a passenger unless, when sitting astride the seat, the person can reach the footrests with both feet."

At this age I felt a lot more secure with him safely in front of me- no way he can fall off. In the US it'll get you a ticket or even arrested for "child endangerment"... Go figure
2011 Kawasaki VERSYS!
2005 BMW K1200LT

TonyBKK screwed with this post 04-24-2012 at 05:41 AM
TonyBKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:34 AM   #68
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBKK View Post
In the US pretty much every state has a law that says something like this:

"No person shall ride upon a motorcycle as a passenger unless, when sitting astride the seat, the person can reach the footrests with both feet."
The US has lots of stupid laws, and there are lots of stupid people that need them.

What came first is probably a discussion for the basement.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 10:38 AM   #69
Rcrx21
02 KLR650; 02 KDX220

Oddometer: 445
[QUOTE=TonyBKK;18530111]
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangebear View Post
My resopnse to the law in 2001 when my son was 4 yrs old (note the bolt sticking out under the side cover).

Old 05-18-2012, 07:50 PM   #70
Me and my monkee
Out makin' Monkee Maps

Oddometer: 980
My daughter hit 2 major milestones today..kindergaten graduation and her first ride
I went with the Childs riding belt. Bought one on eBay over 2 years ago and have been waiting for this day!

Denim jacket, over ankle boots, kids helmet and dirt gloves. She wanted to wear shorts because she was hot!!

A quick 6 mile loop, stayed around 45-50 with one quick burst to 60 just to see how she liked it.
She loved it, Was waving at pedestrians and cars the whole ride. Got back and said next time we had to ride for longer.

I did have to make up some footrests for her as she could barely get tippytoes onto the pegs of only 2 of my bikes.
Sorted with l
arge bolts through the bracket that holds the rubber bumpers for the saddlebags when they are installed. Couple of washers, nuts and some plastic hose zipped on. Very stable.

Me and my monkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 10:00 PM   #71
acesandeights
Asperger

Oddometer: 3,768
Quote:
I am wanting to introduce my 9 year-old son to the joys of riding this season by being a passenger. I would like to hear from other riders who have already undergone this endeavour and solicit their feedback and lessons learned. I would be interested in comments pertaining to:

1. What age did your child start riding as a passenger?
My son is eight and my daughter is six. They started riding with me last year for very short rides.

2. How did you know your child was mentally mature and responsible enough to be a passenger?
Just in talking with them about it and when they seemed to understand their responsibility to hold on. They are still kids though and cannot fully understand the consequences of what will happen if they don't though.

3. What information/instructions did you provide your child with respect to being a passenger? Emergency situations and what they need to do? Do's and don'ts? Communication strategies? Is there somewhere online that has information to provide child passengers?
I had them sit on the bike and get somewhat comfortable with the ergos. We sat on it together prior to actually riding, not much, but some. I didn't explain emergency situations because I don't think they'll understand or would have time to react anyway. I think it would be introducing something they can't understand and would be more confusing than not. I have them tap me on the shoulder if they "need" to tell me something and I pull over ASAP. We live in a fairly rural area so this is pretty easy to do.

4. What was the pace in terms of speed and distance that you went over a given duration of time? For example, did you restrict the speed to 30mph for the first week with no single ride being longer than 15 mins and then gradually increase this? I have visions of us going on camping weekends in the mountains by the end of the summer but don't know if that's realistic.
I don't find the speed to be an issue, but the time is. My daughter falls asleep on the motorcycle, so I have to make sure we don't ride long in the afternoon when she's most tired. We keep the rides to about 30 minutes right now, but I figure if we left in the morning we could ride for an hour wihtout a problem, we just haven't ridden that long.

5. At what point did you feel comfortable (if any) taking your child at highway speeds?
After they got comfortable with tapping me on the shoulder when they needed something. Also, I bought a Tourmaster Jett 3 jacket that is "armored". That made me more comfortable as well. I'm not as worried about the speed as I am about the time, them getting tired, that sort of thing. If they get tired and take their feet off the pegs for example, then they are way to tired to be riding.

6. Did you use any harness, belt, or any other safety device?
No, just helmet, jacket, pants, etc.

7. Did you use any other equipment such as an intercom system or backrest?
No, although I'd feel more comfortable with a backrest for them.

8. Any other information that you feel would be helpful?

I know that with riding comes risk. My child's safety is the number one priority and I am trying to do as much as possible to minimize that risk by providing him with the right gear and the right information as well as by ensuring that he is indeed mature and responsible enough to do this.

Thank you for your assistance and feedback. It is greatly appreciated!

Amyn
Hope that helps.

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 02:36 PM   #72
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Thought I would mention in this thread that just recently, Cycle Gear (no affiliation) has started carrying a line of kid's street gear. Reasonably priced, you could do helmet, jacket, pants, gloves, boots for about $220.

http://www.cyclegear.com/eng/brands/bilt4kids

Old 05-19-2012, 04:11 PM   #73
onewheeltwo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoodward View Post
Thought I would mention in this thread that just recently, Cycle Gear (no affiliation) has started carrying a line of kid's street gear. Reasonably priced, you could do helmet, jacket, pants, gloves, boots for about $220.

http://www.cyclegear.com/eng/brands/bilt4kids

I just got their catalog the other day, and was pretty shocked! I'll be going to the MD location sometime soon to get some gear for my 9 yo.

Searching for "Bilt" comes up with a lot of not-so-favorable reviews. I'm thinking I'll ignore them, but I'll need to hold it in my hands first...

On another note, he had his first ride a week ago, and loved it! Thanks again to the peg riser idea someone else posted earlier in this thread!
onewheeltwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 10:12 PM   #74
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewheeltwo View Post
Searching for "Bilt" comes up with a lot of not-so-favorable reviews. I'm thinking I'll ignore them, but I'll need to hold it in my hands first...
Yeah, it's poorly designed, one-time-use stuff, like early Joe Rocket. But it lets you start the kids out with good ideas about wearing riding gear.

I've got a 17 year old now that's ATGATT and doesn't have to be told to do so- we started him that way, then he saw some good examples of why, and then a kid at school came up and said "wish I'd had that stuff when I crashed..."
Old 05-21-2012, 06:25 PM   #75
WhatThaFrig
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 282
One of the guys I work with has a 5 year old daughter, same as I do. I asked him if he wanted to go ride after work and he said no because it was his week with little girl. I said put her on the bike and bring her. I was a passenger on my dads bikes when I was 4-5. He asked if I'd ride with my daughter and I said hell no, my dad was an idiot!
1982 GL1100 Standard
1980 GS550
WhatThaFrig is offline   Reply With Quote