Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2012, 07:58 AM   #136
viajero
Too old to be a nOOb

Oddometer: 2,199
Might just be that Honda is putting more value on a potential Indy win than on a bunch of road course wins or a championship.
viajero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 01:09 PM   #137
wxwax
Excited Member

Oddometer: 73,126
That settles that. Rahal given a 6-race probation for dangerous driving. Must mean they decided the second move to the right was deliberate.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 01:43 PM   #138
PeteN95
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,497
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxwax View Post
That settles that. Rahal given a 6-race probation for dangerous driving. Must mean they decided the second move to the right was deliberate.
It looked like a late block to me and when you do that, sometimes you get hit. And when he did get hit in the right rear, it makes the car go left, not right.

SVN/XRR/Christini
PeteN95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 05:10 PM   #139
green hell
yawning or snarling

Oddometer: 19,917
Quote:
Originally Posted by viajero View Post
Might just be that Honda is putting more value on a potential Indy win than on a bunch of road course wins or a championship.
given the emphasis on road and street courses this season, that seems short-sighted to me. plausible though. honda keeps their win streak alive at the biggest event of the year... i'm sure they're hoping they can find some more grunt.

Quote:
that's the we-had-to-do-something punishment. i'm sure they had better video than i did. i could have convinced myself either way, depending on how fast my thumb was. (and it's not very fast.)

the twitter war was kind of goofy, but a rivalry between the young guns might pull in some more viewers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteN95
It looked like a late block to me and when you do that, sometimes you get hit. And when he did get hit in the right rear, it makes the car go left, not right.
that's something i kept thinking about and i can see a scenario going either way, depending on which way the fronts were pointed, where the cars touched, and the closing speed of marco.

as it stands, at normal speed it looks like graham went for the block.

needless dickery
green hell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:38 PM   #140
Mr. Ray
Chemically Enhanced

Oddometer: 3,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by green hell View Post
i watched it about a half dozen times on the dvr, but i don't have that single-frame-by-single-frame granularity, so i really just ended up slightly more confused than when i started. depending on where i started, it looked like one or the other.

chevy clearly has honda and lotus by the balls. power had those laps where he overtook and pulled away, then settled in, then lit it up again. lotus i can see being that far back, but honda has seemingly misjudged this pretty badly.

sato should have been on the podium.

and kanaan's run was just fabulous.
I think the incident between andretti and rahal was questionalble and should remain a no fault situation. And....AND I've watched this race twice and can't figure out how Sato ends up out of the podium when he was crashed due to the stupidity of another driver who got a penalty!? No one is ever going to move out of your way in a battle for position to give you a line! Why would you think that was going to happen? Make the pass on your own merit or keep your position for points. Just don't be a bitch when it's time to pay dues for being a spode.

Good racing - Ugly cars.

http://www.roadtofermentation.blogspot.com
Mr. Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 02:52 PM   #141
wxwax
Excited Member

Lotus drops two teams. I'm hopeful that Chevy and Honda are now in a position to pick them up. We're going to lose that cool-looking Lotus black-and-gold livery though. Best looking car on the grid.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 04-25-2012, 07:41 PM   #142
wxwax
Excited Member

IndyCar has given Honda permission to use a different compressor cover in order to brings its single turbo engine to parity with the Chevy twin turbo engine.

Chevy's protesting. To be heard Thursday.

I understand why some folks would oppose helping Honda. But in the interests of a competitive season, it seems like a reasonable thing to grant. The result in Long Beach conforms that the current Honda configuration just won't cut it.

What does a compressor cover do?

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 04-27-2012, 03:50 AM   #143
green hell
yawning or snarling

Oddometer: 19,917
Quote:
IndyCar has given Honda permission to use a different compressor cover in order to brings its single turbo engine to parity with the Chevy twin turbo engine.

Chevy's protesting. To be heard Thursday.

I understand why some folks would oppose helping Honda. But in the interests of a competitive season, it seems like a reasonable thing to grant. The result in Long Beach conforms that the current Honda configuration just won't cut it.

What does a compressor cover do?
well, i don't know what the compressor cover does, but i'm guessing the proposed model allows for more air volume.

there's my swag for the day.

indycar will have to come up with a formula that allows limited development if they want to keep this interesting. x number of approved engine changes, y chassis modifications, etc.

if they want to keep things competitive, meaningful and interesting they're going to have to allow a certain amount of in-season development and testing while controlling it in such a way as to minimize the cost impact.

needless dickery
green hell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 11:10 AM   #144
viajero
Too old to be a nOOb

Oddometer: 2,199
Looks like Honda gets to alter their turbos.

Hope this makes for more competitive racing and not more Penske/Chevy domination.

If Lotus could ever get their engine running close to the others, we might have a decent series.

Given that it's the first year for cars and engines, I don't mind a few competition adjustments to keep things interesting.
viajero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 09:13 PM   #145
wxwax
Excited Member

Nor me. Whatever it takes to make things interesting. Not sure Lotus are at the point where they even know what they need to change. They're still trying to make their unit reliable. (I sometimes have that problem, too.)

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 04-28-2012, 10:04 AM   #146
Dagofast
Full giggety ahead.

Oddometer: 1,649
So, three races in and the new car takes flight at relatively low speed on a street course and what is the "brain trust" at 16th & Georgetown Rd. focusing their attention on? They are scouring the Twitterverse for insults. And fining a long time leeeg loyalist. Yeah, the sport is obviously in good hands.

http://www.indystar.com/article/2012...IndyStar.com|s
Dagofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 10:48 PM   #147
wxwax
Excited Member

It looks like that adjustment to the Honda turbo has produced parity. Very even in the first 6 rows of qualifying.

Power is just dominant right now. He drove away from everyone on every restart. Franchitti qualified second but all of his restarts were either bad or awful.

Decent race without being great. Power's unchallenged dominance took some of the life out of it. Looks like the teams are feeling richer: the drivers are starting to wreck parts again.

And so, on to Indy. Let's see if Honda 's single turbo is an edge there. Should be interesting. I look forward to it.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 04-30-2012, 06:29 AM   #148
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 19,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagofast View Post
So, three races in and the new car takes flight at relatively low speed on a street course and what is the "brain trust" at 16th & Georgetown Rd. focusing their attention on? They are scouring the Twitterverse for insults. And fining a long time leeeg loyalist. Yeah, the sport is obviously in good hands.

http://www.indystar.com/article/2012...IndyStar.com|s

Waaaa. Any car with aerodynamic downforce has the potential to take flight if air gets under it.

How much more $ would the fine have been if this were F1?
RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 06:23 PM   #149
lewismedlock

Oddometer: 12,764
I DVRd the race this weekend. Should I watch it?
lewismedlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 06:29 PM   #150
wxwax
Excited Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewismedlock View Post
I DVRd the race this weekend. Should I watch it?
Nah, not unless you have time you don't know what to do with. Nothing really notable except for a few restarts late in the race and a renewed willingness to destroy expensive bodywork. Turn 1, as usual, produced the trouble.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan