Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Australia
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2012, 02:53 AM   #16
wairau
richie

Oddometer: 1,288
Good solid reliable bike, and between 18 and 23km/litre. I sold mine bcause I thought it was too heavy for what it was, vibey (fatiguing for more than 600km days) and not enough power. 1st was too tall, and 5th not tall enough. You can only fix one of those at once. I enjoyed it for the places I went on it, not for the experience of actually riding it.

As others have said, the aftermarket options available will cover pretty much whatever you want for it. I preferred my CBR for filtering in traffic (its narrower) and keeps in front of the cages effortlessly. Coming off a WR250F, I think you'll be disappointed with its weight disadvantage offroad in similar terrain.

Everythings a compromise, it's a good bike but those are the reasons that caused me to sell mine.
wairau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 03:38 AM   #17
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timkel View Post
Some will tell you the suspension is crap, but hey even Triumph, KTM and BMW owners spend money on their suspenders!

You can't go wrong!

xronly
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 05:02 AM   #18
motormail
Supermoto Posty

Oddometer: 446
Metal Mule also do a bit of gear for the XT range

26 litre fibre tank and rally fairing from Off The Road, sexy

motormail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 05:32 PM   #19
boneman660
Try Hard

Oddometer: 359
Compromise is the key word....

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingoddball View Post
Hi!
I'm after members opinions about the XT660R. My ZX6R has just died last night. I'm thinking of selling my WR250F and getting an XT.
Does anyone have/had/use one of these for heavy use?

It will be used with highway use (Sydney traffic).

But I want to use it for a lot of off road on the weekends. I want to ride through water (not too deep - but upto a meter if it goes wrong). A hell of a lot of mud (clay mud) and up over rocks and steep wet hills.

Will this bike be a good dual ride?

With knobbies of corse for weekends
You are right KOB, this is a bike of compromise.

It's not a hard core mud slinger, nor is it a bike that you would want to ride 1000km a day on (unless you are my mate Supamanaint) but he's on drugs...

Like you I commute on the bike most days, but like to have some fun on the weekends as well. You are right about the knobbies (I run Dunlop 606s) and a better road set for the commute. Contis appear to be the go there.

Woopwoop's bike looks great in white, and his riding these days reflects mine (but I have less skill!) cruisey gravel & open trails, is a handful on single track & gnarley stuff. A used XT is so cheap you could probably afford to keep the 250 for that sort of riding.

Cruz posted a picture of my bike earlier, with the Akro carbon can. Replacing the silly twin system saves you about 10kgs or something, as well as giving you heaps better ground clearance.

Great bike for what it is. 95% Tenere, I picked mine up for $8K with 900km on it. I think you'd be looking at $14K for a Tenere. I ended up spending about $2K on mods. So for $10K I have exactly the bike I wanted. I'm very happy with it.

I don't think you can go too far wrong unless you want to go hardcore :-)

Cheers, Boneman

boneman660 screwed with this post 04-24-2012 at 05:43 PM Reason: Can't f@*king spell!
boneman660 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 05:38 PM   #20
boneman660
Try Hard

Question Dual Sport XT660R

Here is mine undergoing it's weekend transformation:

The second set of rims was 130 pounds from England, with postage 40 pounds. There are lots of farkles available from Europe at a reasonable price. Aprillia Pegaso almost the same, even rarer here though...

Hope that helps, Boneman
Old 04-24-2012, 05:58 PM   #21
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Boneman, have you found the same wear problems of the Cush hub rubbers that the Tenere owners have?

xronly
Old 04-24-2012, 07:10 PM   #22
boneman660
Try Hard

Bluhduh Cush drive in XT660R/X/Z

Cruz, It's only just got 5000km on it, but last change of wheels the rubbers were starting to look a bit shabby. I have a set of SW Motec replacement rubbers waiting in the wings to go on. Fair bit cheaper than the Yamaha ones, also appear slightly harder.

Bit of a contentious issue the wear rate on the 660 rubbers, might be the price we pay for a smoother ride?

Hope you are haling up well, Boneman
Old 04-24-2012, 07:53 PM   #23
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Strange though, never had to worry about the ones on my BMW or Berg, with no wear showing at all on them. Hope the SWM ones are the go.

xronly
Old 04-24-2012, 09:12 PM   #24
supamanaint
when in doubt - power out

Oddometer: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz View Post
Strange though, never had to worry about the ones on my BMW or Berg, with no wear showing at all on them. Hope the SWM ones are the go.

Yes the cush drive rubbers wear (mine were shaged by 8000km) but if you fit new ones with graphite powder then all is good.
You can also fit rubber spacers in the shaged cush rubbers to extend the life (I have gotten 7000km more out of em and they are still ok).
It is no problem to do big kays on these bikes (boneman needs some cement powder) (and they are legal drugs....honest).
supamanaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 04:34 AM   #25
obe01
Wannabe Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,269
A few mods and you will not be disappointed...

Great Bikes.....I recently purchased some gear from "Off the Road" and received a booklet on what can be done to the XT660R's. I highly recommend "Off the Road" for all ya accessories. They are well priced compared to what we pay here in Aus and they keep ya posted on where your order is at and they are super quick, love em...

Bloody good looking and as reliable and strong as they come. I would definately own one if I did not have to pay rego on every bloody bike I own and you cannot beat the pricing on these beasties. Value for money plus.... As for parts, cheap as chips.....

Having owned one of the new Tenere's I would definately prefer one of these over the Tenere any day. Don't get me wrong, if you like overweight, top heavy bike's then the Tenere is the bike for you... At least with the 660R ya have a great seat and still that bullet proof 660 that goes and goes and goes....

Not sure about the cush hub drive on the 660R's and if it is as suicidal as the Tenere's but something for ya to do some research on....

I reckon Kingoddball go for it and please keep us all posted on ya progress of ya next true love....Oh yeah, if you can afford it go and invest in a Powercommander and a set of Leo's, (from overseas) on her as soon as you can, you will not be disappointed with the gains from these two items...

Johnnie

obe01 screwed with this post 04-25-2012 at 04:40 AM
obe01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 04:36 AM   #26
obe01
Wannabe Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by supamanaint View Post
Yes the cush drive rubbers wear (mine were shaged by 8000km) but if you fit new ones with graphite powder then all is good.
You can also fit rubber spacers in the shaged cush rubbers to extend the life (I have gotten 7000km more out of em and they are still ok).
It is no problem to do big kays on these bikes (boneman needs some cement powder) (and they are legal drugs....honest).

I guess this just answers my question about the cush hub drives. Not sure why or what Yamaha were thinking but it is a small price to pay for such a good setup....

Thanks for that supamanaint....