Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2012, 09:49 AM   #1
Mr. Cob OP
Howling "Mad", Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,096
Thumb Calling ALL Nor-Wet hack riders BLACK DOG DUAL SPORT RALLY

Howdy All,

So far there are only two Ural hack pilots signed up to do this years Black Dog Dual Sport Rally, Inmate "Stoneageman" and myself. If you folks haven't done this rally your missing a WHOLE lot a FUN.

Click here to be taken to the Black Dog web site.

http://www.blackdogdualsport.com/

I go over at least four days early each year to help clear the trails and prove out roll charts, to tell you the truth I have as much or more fun doing the preriding. If another hack rider comes over early to help do these things it sure would be nice, free camping if you help, contact Tom for details.

My photos, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/ Help a CHEAP bastard keep his Smugmug, use this coupon ( geyYbNZwLLrl6 ) thank you.
Mr. Cob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 10:10 AM   #2
jaydmc
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 827
My wife Tara and I plan on being at the event but not running it, Tara had rotator cup surgery and as such will not be able to ride the event. I will have one of our M72D GS rigs to show and if I find the right bike to mount it on I will have an Enduro.
Jay G
DMC sidedcars
www.dmcsidecars.com
866-638-1793
jaydmc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 10:17 AM   #3
Mr. Cob OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydmc View Post
My wife Tara and I plan on being at the event but not running it, Tara had rotator cup surgery and as such will not be able to ride the event. I will have one of our M72D GS rigs to show and if I find the right bike to mount it on I will have an Enduro.
Jay G
DMC sidedcars
www.dmcsidecars.com
866-638-1793
Howdy Jay,

Put some ballast in the hack or get a dog for a passenger. I am thinking of bringing my DMC hacked GS to do some local good road riding whilst using the Ural for the nasty stuff.

My photos, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/ Help a CHEAP bastard keep his Smugmug, use this coupon ( geyYbNZwLLrl6 ) thank you.
Old 04-20-2012, 03:29 PM   #4
RedMenace
Adventure Sidecar

Oddometer: 5,061
Adventure Sidecar will offer an Advanced S/TEP class in June, to coincide with the Black Dog AMA National Dualsport & Adventure Ride.

The S/TEP class will begin Friday evening, June 8th and continue Saturday, June 9th with a short ride Saturday afternoon to practice using a roll chart and a few off pavement techniques. The price includes entry to the Sunday Blackdog ride. Tipis will be available for camping during the rally. This class is restricted to folks with prior sidecar experience and requires pre registration. An optional passenger seminar will be available. Sidecars are not provided but I do have a few available to rent on a first come basis, provided you pass the S/TEP portion of the program and don't scare me too badly ;-)

We have a block of entries reserved for the Sunday Black Dog ride. So far we have three people signed up for the class and the Sunday ride. I will get them entered into Tom's Black dog roster soon.

More information can be found at http://blackdogdualsport.com/! There will be a cash award of $100 to some lucky sidecar participant at the Sunday awards ceremony. Random drawing, must be present to win. Prize is provided courtesy of Adventure Sidecar and Northwest Tour and Trail. There will also be special trophy for the highest points sidecar driver or passenger for the weekend and a Sunday only first place sidecar trophy.

The Adventure Sidecar Dualsport Sidecar Skills Seminar will be conducted at the fairgrounds Friday evening and Saturday, with entry to the Sunday ride included.

Sidecars are not included. You can use your own sidecar for the Adventure Sidecar Dualsport Sidecar Skills Seminar. You should have at least 6" ground clearance and dirt oriented dualsport tires with decent tread. Right now I have 2 rigs available to rent for this program, first come basis, reservation and damage deposit required. Sidecar Rental can be arranged through Hood River Community Education

Communal Tipi Camping will be available at the Fairgrounds. First come basis, reservations required $50 a night through Hood River Community Education You don't need to be enrolled in the Adventure Sidecar - Dualsport Sidecar Skills Seminar to rent a cot in a tipi.

More information can be found at http://adventuresidecar.com/

RedMenace screwed with this post 04-20-2012 at 03:37 PM
RedMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 09:07 PM   #5
Hotmamaandme
Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer: 2,580
We keep saying we need to ride this maybe this year

Jimmy Lewis quote: "Those KLRs are full of potential. Just takes a rider..."
Hotmamaandme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 10:31 PM   #6
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,053
I'm not optimistic that I will be able to do it, being so soon after the SOUR rally I probably won't have enough vacation time and $.
Old 04-21-2012, 11:54 AM   #7
whitham_wannabe
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 858
I am sorely tempted by this, but don't think that our rig is 'off road' enough.

Mr Menace, you have a PM on the way ...

Travels With Bruce : More Travels With Bruce
whitham_wannabe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 12:01 PM   #8
Mr. Cob OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitham_wannabe View Post
I am sorely tempted by this, but don't think that our rig is 'off road' enough.

Mr Menace, you have a PM on the way ...
Howdy whitham wannabe,

You can do the "C" course and not be worried about doing some of the rougher sections that some of us do with our hacks. I hear that the "ADV" course is pretty much a paved road, good dirt-gravel road course but I don't know that for certain. What kind of machine do you ride?

Old 04-21-2012, 01:37 PM   #9
RedMenace
Adventure Sidecar

Oddometer: 5,061
You can register for the class, rent a bike or reserve Tipi space by calling Hood River Community Education 541 386 2055 or online here: Hood River Community Ed

Let me know if you have any problems getting through.

Details at adventuresidecar.com

sidecar rental is $225 for the weekend with $1000 damage deposit Rental through Hood River Community Education. Very limited avaialbility.

Dualsport Skills Seminar Driver Only, includes 1 entry to Sunday BlackDog Ride $350 Register online

Dualsport Skills Seminar with passenger includes 2 entries to Sunday BlackDog ride and Passenger workshop $475 Register online

Rent a cot in a Tipi at the BlackDog $50 per person, per night. Bring your own bedroll and pillow. Blanket and cot provided reservations required
RedMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 11:46 AM   #10
whitham_wannabe
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 858
Hello Mr Cobb.

I have the R100 rig, pictured below. It doesn't do bad off the pavement, but I'm not sure about entering it into a race ...!

Cheers.

Travels With Bruce : More Travels With Bruce
whitham_wannabe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 12:01 PM   #11
Mr. Cob OP

Quote:
Hello Mr Cobb.

I have the R100 rig, pictured below. It doesn't do bad off the pavement, but I'm not sure about entering it into a race ...!

Cheers.

Howdy whitham_wannabe,

Well...............you have made TWO mistakes, one its "Cob" not Cobb, two and much more important the Black dog Dual Sport Rally, IS NOT A RACE.

Points are NOT awarded for speed or who finishes first, points are awarded by participating in some sort of competition ranging from tossing a washer into a hole drilled in a board to shooting a BB gun at a target, there are a couple of bike riding skill drills thrown in too. REMEMBER the paved roads, dirt-gravel roads and trails that the Black Dog is run over are ALL open to the public and you will sometimes even in the woods meet un-coming traffic.

Most folks who ride in the Black Dog rally do so in a "spirited" manner but not in a way that is dangerous to the other participants, if your looking to race, the Black Dog rally is NOT what your looking for.

As to your rig based on your photo you shouldn't have any problem doing any of the "C" course and some sections of the "B" course. Myself and others who ride hacks try to run the "B" course as much as possible sometimes we can't due to the hacked rig being to wide, but when there is enough room we run the "B" course cuss its a lot more FUN.

Old 04-25-2012, 11:31 AM   #12
J-Dub
Combat Commuter

Oddometer: 239
Quote:
Hello Mr Cobb.

Cheers.

More pics of this rig, please.
1965 Triumph TR-6 S/R
J-Dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 04:25 PM   #13
tony the tiger
yeah - what he said...

Oddometer: 9,491
I would - but that's the ABATE Spring Opener, man... already obligated.
tony the tiger is offline   Reply With Quote