Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2012, 11:03 AM   #31
Vulfy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 559
Quote:
Originally Posted by squish View Post
Aerostitch does not claim or advertise that it's standard suit the roadcrafter is waterproof.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nknhqMLXgc

Roadcrafter Light
Vulfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 06:29 PM   #32
fallingoff
Banned

Oddometer: 3,677
thankyou

I am glad to hear she is OK
fallingoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 03:22 PM   #33
hawideri
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
My view on this topic:
Buy what you like as long as it is tight. If you fall, twist, roll over the padding should stay were is belongs.

Leather is not perfect when wet or exposed to salty swet.
Textile suits are usely bought a bit to wide compared to leather.

Everybody will grow his own opinion with experience. But after one year of riding in a cheap textile suit, I will go for a top brand myself. My main considerations is keeping dry, warm and have the padding in place when needed.

Good luck with the gear hunt
hawideri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 07:40 PM   #34
Phil Y
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Laugh

Totally agree. Whatever you get, make certain it has adjustment straps around the waist, near elbows, etc. It is imperative that the jacket not twist, bunch or ride up out of position in order for it to provide any kind of protection. I have my sleeve and waist adjustments on both my mesh kevlar and perf leather jackets almost uncomfortably tight for this very reason. Let us know what you get and why.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:10 PM   #35
JGoody
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 290
Look at Motoport. Really well made -- that guy knows his stuff. And get 1000 Cordura or Kevlar. Check out the website -- or if you're in So Cal go there. I have two friends who recommended his gear to me -- I'm really happy with mine. No connection just a customer. www.motoport.com/
JGoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:35 PM   #36
Stephenmarklay OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 284
Thanks for keeping this going.

I have picked up a few used items but will be getting a lot more.

I chose a Joe Rocket Leather jacket that turned out to be a perfect fit. I has straps above and below the elbow that hold the pads nicely. The waist cinches down to even my rather skinny mid section. It worked great with under armor and a sweater even at about freezing and I have been wearing it in the mid 70's this week with a t-shirt and the vents open with no sweating at all and the liner still in. This was a forum purchase and I am very happy with it. With the liner out I bet 80's will be ok too and we only get 90's for a couple of weeks a year.

I picked up a used and pretty cheap pair of Sidi Doha boots which are minimal but allow me to go straight into work.

Outlay for boots and jacket were about $100 total.

I will get some textile gear and I am looking at some Draggin Jeans or perhaps Kevlar liners they sell.

I like the Olympia stuff pretty well for price and may pick up one of them.
Stephenmarklay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:36 PM   #37
OldPete2112
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 146
Eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephenmarklay View Post
Thanks for keeping this going.

I will get some textile gear and I am looking at some Draggin Jeans or perhaps Kevlar liners they sell.

Watched a guy crash a few weeks ago wearing a decent jacket, boots, gloves, full face and those sort of kevlar jeans. Yup, jeans withstood the slide alright.

BUT, since they do not attach to the jacket (and likely the jacket was not adjusted tight enough), the jacket slide up and the dude went away on the ambulance with severe road rash all over his back and sides.

Yeah, so much for protection eh?

Jeans are not for me, I will stick to properly armoured pants that zip tight with a good jacket, (well, along with all the other proper gear) until I can afford a Motoport later this year. Gonna ride down and get fitted, the right way to do it.

OP
OldPete2112 is offline   Reply With Quote