ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Ridiculous streetbikes with 6 CPUs and too much horsepower (1050/1190/1290cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2012, 11:24 AM   #46
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,560
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjracer View Post
Did we really need another one of these threads? There are already 3 of these floating around on the first 2 pages of the OC ....

And this is all OLD news.

Rant over....
I asked the mods to merge the two threads that were created yesterday into one which they did.

I'll ask them to merge this in also.
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 11:44 AM   #47
cjracer
AWD please!!

Oddometer: 3,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybrit View Post
I asked the mods to merge the two threads that were created yesterday into one which they did.

I'll ask them to merge this in also.

cjracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:36 PM   #48
Mooney 78865
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchie View Post
Not sure too, frame looks different from the old pics.

Still hoping for a lighter(800?) model from KTM.
Lighter in an 800 could be cool. I don't know about anywhere else, but the Triumph XC doesn't seem to have caught on here in the Central Valley. I see a number of BMW 800's, but all I hear are complaints about "defects" from the one's that actually ride them "off road".
Old 04-25-2012, 10:02 PM   #49
Beema Killa
Beema Killa

Oddometer: 789
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooney 78865 View Post
Lighter in an 800 could be cool. I don't know about anywhere else, but the Triumph XC doesn't seem to have caught on here in the Central Valley. I see a number of BMW 800's, but all I hear are complaints about "defects" from the one's that actually ride them "off road".
I almost pulled the trigger on an F800, but eventually. And to my senses and realized I probably would've destroyed it or at the very least, felt compelled to drop a fortune on suspension upgrades. That motor is pretty sweet though. And it has a screw on oil filter!
Beema Killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:04 PM   #50
Beema Killa
Beema Killa

Oddometer: 789
Mine would've looked a little like this.
Beema Killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 03:34 AM   #51
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 18,793

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevodadevo View Post
What do you suppose that big white box is on the rear?

I'm excited to see what the new Adventure 1090 R looks like now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyRoadie View Post
That white box on the back is clearly a flux-capacitor housing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terence FFM View Post
That's the new ABS unit from Bosch. KTM needed something to make the bike as heavy as the newest offerings from Triumph, Honda and Co.

A really clunky data aquisition unit perhaps?
It's a Fahrvergnügen interface unit.

It's often used by German engineers to suck all the passion and riding pleasure out of a proto-type before handing it over to the bean counters for final approval etc.

When I saw the first "leaked" MCN pictures a couple months back... I thought; "yeah... them damned Bavarians have tricked the poor dumb-ass Mattigoffhonians into sucking all the Fahrvergnügen out of themselves..."

But these latest photo's show (at least a little) promise... looks like it has sprouted a 21" front wheel assembly... maybe they've had the interface unit on "pump" mode, during the latest testing phase... instead of "suck"?!!

"What ees all 'zis f5uss about...?"
troy safari carpente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:20 AM   #52
HappyGoLucky
Goeie Grys Giftige Gert!

Oddometer: 4,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by micksouthere View Post
...however the acceleration to 240kmh on the dirt would be mind blowing!
I dont know... anything north of 190km/h on a dirt road and the rear tyre seems to just break loose. No matter which tyre combo used. Stock suspension, mind.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:21 AM   #53
Pistolero
W. F. O.

Oddometer: 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beema Killa View Post
Mine would've looked a little like this.
I like your KTM better
Pistolero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 12:39 PM   #54
skipman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
800's blah,blah,blah.................the only thing better than a 990 cc dirtbike is a 1290cc dirtbike. What the hell is wrong with you people? Oh... by the way, I love it. Just show me where to sign

'10 KTM 990r
skipman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 01:06 PM   #55
BLIP-IT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
If this is what it's going to look like..................then I am rather disappointed! Makes me glad I bought a new 2012 990R Adventure...................think i will be riding it for a good few years!
Old 04-26-2012, 02:21 PM   #56
Taurkon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 600
Had my 990A since 2008 and have put 50k km of Adventuring on it. At least 40--50% of that was honest to god gravel, dirt, and double track, usually loaded down with 50+ lbs of camping gear and other misc stuff. What most of my pics will include, is a jerry can on the back of my bike.

This prototype does not look like a step in the right direction. I am looking for an Adventure bike that is at least as simple to work on as the 990, MUCH longer legs (I want 450km + minimum out of the box), and an engine not covered to the point that an oil change takes an hour or draining fuel from the charcoal cannister requires a half hour after my frequent tip overs.

Honestly, I don't give a rats a$$ what the bike looks like. I think the 990A is UGLY, but it's my first pick for an Adventure bike. I want travel/suspension, legs, and power. If the F800GS had better suspension, I'd take it. Give me an 800-900cc KTM adventure with a 4-500km range stock (I'll farkle it to 800km + range) and drop 40 lbs and my 990A goes into the museum part of the garage.

To summarize, I don't care what the new KTM adventure looks like... GIVE ME THE SKINNY on range, power, and off-road mannerisms.

2007 KTM 300 XCW

Taurkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 03:03 PM   #57
el queso
toda su base

Oddometer: 678
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooney 78865 View Post
I was all hot an bothered about the 800 XC until I got a chance to see one in person. Didn't look like it would be great in the dirt, and it didn't seem like a great long distance bike either. So I gave it a "meh" rating and bought a 990A
el queso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 04:36 PM   #58
DuctTape
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLIP-IT View Post
If this is what it's going to look like..................then I am rather disappointed! Makes me glad I bought a new 2012 990R Adventure...................think i will be riding it for a good few years!
I've felt the same way about my RSV4, 1198S and now my 990, timing really is everything and I'm one happy rider! I'm not sure who the manufacturers are catering to but it sure isn't real riders, Starbucks anyone?
2010 Ducati 1198S
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 06:33 PM   #59
viola-tor
Needs to ride!

Oddometer: 2,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipman View Post
800's blah,blah,blah.................the only thing better than a 990 cc dirtbike is a 1290cc dirtbike. What the hell is wrong with you people? Oh... by the way, I love it. Just show me where to sign

Ha ha! Yeah!

I reserve judgement until I see the final version, and more importantly TRY it. More power is always welcome in my book... It seems there's a certain twisted pride in riding the biggest, baddest (and probably heaviest) bike places it probably shouldn't go. Will it have 10" or more suspension travel? Dropable? Lighter is always better of course, but if it's about the same heft as the 990 with a 30%+ gain in power I think that'd be cool. A 250+ mile range would be nice...

I too am excited to see the mythical KTM 800, but if it is similar to the BMW or Triumph in size and weight and focus I'll pass.

There is something special about the 950/990 Adventure: DAKAR WINNER! It'd be hard to top that...
viola-tor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 06:37 PM   #60
FINNDIAN
Mine goes to 11

Oddometer: 1,742
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipman View Post
800's blah,blah,blah.................the only thing better than a 990 cc dirtbike is a 1290cc dirtbike. What the hell is wrong with you people?
amen
The more side roads you stop to explore, the less likely that life will pass you by. ~Robert Brault. 2004 KTM 950 S GO!!!!(Blacked out),03 Beta Rev3, 1973 Rokon Trailbreaker 2x2, 1999 Intruder 1500, 08 Aprilia rxv450, 90 DRBIG 800,79GS850
Ride Reports
FINNDIAN is offline   Reply With Quote